• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Also about the transfer, I remember reading something about weapons have to be transported in the backseat of the car uncovered. Is it true? How about carrying from the car to the house/shop?

The shotgun is Mossberg 12 gauge 3 1/2" chamber 835 ulti-mag
    The rifle is Marlin centerfire level action rifle with a riflescope.

Don't do that. Put the firearms in a case if you can.. unloaded if you don't have a trunk.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    Transporting the guns in the trunk would be best. The handgun has to be in a case of some sort. The long guns don't need to be in anything, but at least wrap them in a blanket or a trash bag so you don't bang up the finish and so you don't advertise to your neighbors.

daxia

May 18, 2013
    It sounds like it would be best for you to fill out the paperwork with the State Police. That will establish you as the legal owner of the handgun, and keep everything squeaky clean and aboveboard.

It will also simplify things if you ever decide to buy another handgun in Maryland. Because you will be on record as owning a handgun before SB281 goes into effect on October 1, you won't have to take the new intensive training classes to buy a handgun.

Check with the State Police. It's a pretty simple hoop to jump through.
    Should I tell my friends who are interested in guns to fill the paperwork now? Do they have to buy a gun in order to do the paperwork or can they just have the papers on file?

daxia

May 18, 2013
    Thank you. Wraping it up makes much better sense to me.

For the shop owner to keep a gun at his shop, does he need the permission from the property owner/management since he rents the place?

Also if he wants for safety, a shot gun would be better than a rifle, right?

A few other friends had mentioned they wanted a gun, but most never came through once they talked to their wives:)

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    daxia, welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that your husband passed.

If you have friends interested in the rifle and shotgun you can sell them legally to them as long as they are Maryland residents and are not prohibited persons. When transporting any firearm it is wise to have them cased and they should be unloaded.

Since you plan to keep the handgun visit www.mdgunsafety.com Take the online course even though your DD214 would suffice for the current Maryland required training. Once you take the course print the card. Take the cased and unloaded handgun ( Although not required I prefer to have the gun in a locked case) to any MSP barracks. Leave it in the car and go inside and let the Trooper know you want to voluntarily register a handgun left to you by your late husband. The Trooper will ask you for ID and certificate of training. They will then go with you to the car to get your handgun and take it back into the barracks. You will be given paperwork to fill out. The Trooper will instruct you how to proceed.

Since this is a inheritance there should be no fee for this transfer.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you. Wraping it up makes much better sense to me.

For the shop owner to keep a gun at his shop, does he need the permission from the property owner/management since he rents the place?

Also if he wants for safety, a shot gun would be better than a rifle, right?

A few other friends had mentioned they wanted a gun, but most never came through once they talked to their wives:)

The shop owner is renting the property so he can keep a firearm on that property.

The shotgun would be better if the rifle is a hunting type of rifle. What make/model is the rifle.

daxia

May 18, 2013
    The shotgun would be better if the rifle is a hunting type of rifle. What make/model is the rifle.

The rifle is Marlin centerfire level action rifle with a riflescope. It is really heavy too, I'd say not ideal to be picked up quickly during a crisis.

Thank you for the info about registering the handgun. I need to take a day to do this. MSP is Maryland State Police, right?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yes, MSP = Maryland State Police. It's a good idea to call first and make sure they don't have special hours for the process, but I think you can do it pretty much anytime at any barracks. I've done transfers (similar process) at Westminster and Bel Air with no problem, but I think some barracks may have limited hours for such things.

It's an easy process. You can probably be in and out in a half hour (unless you have an outstanding warrant, in which case you may stay a bit longer).

daxia

May 18, 2013
    Yes, MSP = Maryland State Police. It's a good idea to call first and make sure they don't have special hours for the process, but I think you can do it pretty much anytime at any barracks. I've done transfers (similar process) at Westminster and Bel Air with no problem, but I think some barracks may have limited hours for such things.

Thank you. Got homework to do now:)

This community is so nice. My late husband would have enjoyed it. Actually, he had probably been here.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    Best of luck to you Daxia, and don't be a stranger. A lot of good people frequent this board, and, while not certified, I would be more than happy to volunteer my time if you need some kind of help.
    OB

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    As for the shop owner. The shotgun is almost certainly a better choice than the rifle, but a handgun might be better still. A business owner or authorized supervisor may carry a handgun, openly or concealed with no permit required, while on the premises.

But I would encourage them, beg them, plead with them to get some good training, not only in the use of the firearms ("how to load and shoot targets"), but training specific to their defensive use.

Here is a whole list of companies which offer firearms training.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129

Some can offer specialized training specifically for the business owner, even training conducted at the business itself (off hours). It's a very serious business, and it's not just about shooting guns. In fact it's more about NOT shooting guns.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    As for the shop owner. The shotgun is almost certainly a better choice than the rifle, but a handgun might be better still.

But I would encourage them, beg them, plead with them to get some good training, not only in the use of the firearms ("how to load and shoot targets"), but training specific to their defensive use.

Threeband has it right, of the firearms you have, the handgun is the best for a shop defense weapon with limited space. While less powerful than the shotgun or rifle, it will get the job done and serve the intended purpose while offering the most flexibility. There is a reason why police officers carry handguns and not rifles for daily use, and it's flexibility.

With regard to transferring the rifle and shotgun, you can sell those FTF with just a bill of sale, however if you want to be covered a Federal Firearms Licensee will offer you the best documented transaction. It's not needed or an issue since the transactions you intend to conduct are 100% legal.

The handgun, as noted, must be transferred (on paper) either at the MSP Barracks or with a Federal Firearms Licensee. Remember, if you do use the MSP, do not bring the firearm into the barracks with you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It has been mentioned before, but get some price estimates from several places before selling.

Even friends, close friends, may offer a very low price. Either due to ignorance or even to benefit themselves.

Check the Industry Partners section and take them to one, preferably two, for pricing information.

Yes, gun prices have gone up in the last 4 - 5 years. Some, not much, others a LOT.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Your best bet is to take pictures of the firearms and any identifying marks. (x anniversary, x edition) and upload them to photobucket and post the link.

And my condolences with your loss.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    The rifle is Marlin centerfire level action rifle with a riflescope. It is really heavy too, I'd say not ideal to be picked up quickly during a crisis.

Thank you for the info about registering the handgun. I need to take a day to do this. MSP is Maryland State Police, right?

I see the shotguns going for 350-400 new

Depending on the caliber, the marlin's price could be very different. Also depending on its age.
    Example is , I just sold a 1967 malin 30-30 to a friend the other day for 400.00
    But you can buy a new one for that, they are just not as nicely made. You can do a Search and look up the serial numbers and other markiing and figure out what year it is.
    Here is a link to help you
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...tes-manufacture-info-39a-stats-1952-75-a.html

If it is something like a 45-70 caliber, It will be worth more than a 30-30 in most cases.

Good luck Daxia, don't be a stranger, you are always welcome here
    Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom