• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daxia

May 18, 2013
    Hi,
    My husband passed away 3 years ago and left a handgun, a rifle, and a shotgun with ammos.
    Is it legal for me to keep them? He had to obtain a permit or something before he got the handgun, but he simply bought the rifle and shotgun from Dick's and brought them home.
    There are friends asking to buy the rifle or shotgun. Is is legal for me to sell them with the ammos. I live in Maryland and the friends are in Maryland.
    Thank you.

Daxia

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    You can keep everything. You can sell the rifle and shotgun to another Maryland resident face to face. To sell the handgun to another Maryland resident, it must be transferred at a State Police barracks or at an FFL. The ammo you can sell to anyone of age. 18 for the rifle and shotgun, 21 for the handgun ammo.

For the handgun:

Q: Can I acquire a regulated firearm through inheritance?
    A: Yes, provided the heir completes an application for the purchase or transfer of a regulated firearm and forwards it to the Secretary of the Maryland State Police.

From the Maryland State Police.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Yup, you can keep them. Also you can sell them to your friends, pistol must go through a transfer process. I would suggest looking on gunbroker to get a rough idea of what they are worth or post pics on here and we can tell you, that way you are not loosing a lot of money you could have received. I would be happy to look them up and give you a Idea if I can without trying to give you a low number for my own gain. I am sorry for your loss, and I dislike to see anyone tke advantage of a widow to get a deal on late husbands items.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Will the same answers in above posts still be true after SB281 is effective on 10/01/13?

Last edited:

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Hi,
    My husband passed away 3 years ago and left a handgun, a rifle, and a shotgun with ammos.
    Is it legal for me to keep them? He had to obtain a permit or something before he got the handgun, but he simply bought the rifle and shotgun from Dick's and brought them home.
    There are friends asking to buy the rifle or shotgun. Is is legal for me to sell them with the ammos. I live in Maryland and the friends are in Maryland.
    Thank you.

Daxia

Get price quotes before selling.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Welcome daxia. If the only reason you are selling them is because you don't know how to use them, I would be willing to step in and help, and give you some instruction, free. If, on the other hand, you are selling them for other reasons, best wishes.

I don't know what your residence area is, but if you are miles and miles away from my location, I am sure there are other instructors here who would be willing to assist you as well.

daxia

May 18, 2013
    Thank you everybody for the quick replies.
    I know how to use guns. I was in the Army, that's where we met. Just don't need these many since I am not going hunting for sure and not sure if I would ever shoot anybody/anything with a shot gun.
    I am keeping the handgun for myself. Do I need to do the application thing? I was a little surprised that I never received anything about it from the state unlike the MVA which asked for his disable decals back within a month.
    I know he paid about $400 for the rilfe and $2-300 for the shot gun, 4-5 years ago. Have weapons gone up in price?

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Yes! Take them to at least 2 gun shops and get quotes.

Maybe.... depends on what she has. If she was left with a Cofer revolver she will get robbed. I would suggest getting a few pictures up and any identifying marks posted so we can have a look before the vultures prey on her.

daxia

May 18, 2013
    Actually, I am not too worried about the prices since they are the freinds who have helped me a lot in these past 3 years. Just want to make sure we are doing the legal thing.
    One of the friends is a shop owner and wants to keep the rifle in his shop. Is it legal to do?

Last edited:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Actually, I am not too worried about the prices since those are the frinds that have helped me a lot in these past 3 years. Just want to make sure we are doing the legal thing.
    One of the friends is a shop owner and wants to keep the rifle in his shop. Is it legal to do?

YES! If he's trusted Id have him put it on consignment, Id be wary of vultures in sheep's clothing both friends and on this board offering to buy.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Actually, I am not too worried about the prices since those are the frinds that have helped me a lot in these past 3 years. Just want to make sure we are doing the legal thing.

If he owns the shop and is not a convicted felon or adjudicated mentally unfit then yes. The rifle and shotgun should be fine to transfer as long as the person is not excluded by conviction or adjudication.

daxia

May 18, 2013
    Sorry I wasn't clear.
    My friend, the business owner (not a gun shop:), wants to keep the rifle in his shop for his safety. Is this legal to do? (Like liquor stores often keep a handgun in the cashier's drawer on TV...)

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    if he owns the store, or has permission from the owner of the property/ store, and the weapon is kept in a place that is not accessible to unauthorized individuals, and the owner of the store can lawfully own a gun, and if it is a franchise, is not against the standards of conduct set by the franchiser, then yes, he can.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    For the handgun:

Q: Can I acquire a regulated firearm through inheritance?
    A: Yes, provided the heir completes an application for the purchase or transfer of a regulated firearm and forwards it to the Secretary of the Maryland State Police.

From the Maryland State Police.

Will the same answers in above posts still be true after SB281 is effective on 10/01/13?

Thank you everybody for the quick replies.
    I know how to use guns...
    I am keeping the handgun for myself. Do I need to do the application thing? ...

It sounds like it would be best for you to fill out the paperwork with the State Police. That will establish you as the legal owner of the handgun, and keep everything squeaky clean and aboveboard.

It will also simplify things if you ever decide to buy another handgun in Maryland. Because you will be on record as owning a handgun before SB281 goes into effect on October 1, you won't have to take the new intensive training classes to buy a handgun.

Check with the State Police. It's a pretty simple hoop to jump through.

daxia

May 18, 2013
    Also about the transfer, I remember reading something about weapons have to be transported in the backseat of the car uncovered. Is it true? How about carrying from the car to the house/shop?

The shotgun is Mossberg 12 gauge 3 1/2" chamber 835 ulti-mag
    The rifle is Marlin centerfire level action rifle with a riflescope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom