• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Superstellar

Oct 9, 2011
    Bethesda
    Actually a more even-handed article than most, especially for one out of a paper in Kalifornia. Would not see its like in WaPo IMHO. Overtly acknowledges that gun crime is sharply down, and that what remains is happening in the inner cities.

Superstellar

Oct 9, 2011
    Bethesda
    "It’s unclear whether media coverage is driving the misconception that such violence is up. The mass shootings in Newtown, Conn., and Aurora, Colo., were among the news stories most closely watched by Americans last year, Pew found. Crime has also been a growing focus for national newscasts and morning network shows in the past five years but has become less common on local television news."

"The victims of gun killings are overwhelmingly male and disproportionately black, according to Bureau of Justice Statistics and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data. Compared with other parts of the country, the South had the highest rates of gun violence, including both murders and other violent gun crimes."

gedelea

Spartan
    Jan 9, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I think it is very obvious that the media has been fanning the gun violence flames if not to help them governments liberal agenda then atleast for ratings. I think it is to help the government's agenda and here is why...

Do you see daily coverage of the gun deaths related to gangs or drugs in any of the daily news coverage? No. Nothing about the daily deaths related to these things and no coverage in Philly, DC, Baltimore or Chicago (unless politically expedient). America doesn't care about these areas, they only respond when they see or hear about something happening in the suburbs of middle class America. If the media covers just a portion of the approx. 11k gun related deaths they can make the low information American think that gun related crimes are skyrocketing.

The latest spin job out there is to paint how dangerous guns are in the houses where children are present. Witness the 5 yr old boy who shot his 2 yr old sister and now (just popped up on one of my pages) the 7yr old boy shot by his 5 yr old brother in Houston, TX. This is not national news...its local news. Stupid happens each and every day, but it only makes national news when it involves a gun.

gedelea

Spartan
    Jan 9, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    "The victims of gun killings are overwhelmingly male and disproportionately black, according to Bureau of Justice Statistics and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data. Compared with other parts of the country, the South had the highest rates of gun violence, including both murders and other violent gun crimes."

I wonder why it is that the news coverage doesn't seem to show gun related deaths of black males in the south, or why the police and law enforcement don't go and target those area where gun crimes are most prevalent?

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Ha ha: 94% yes (24,000) and only 6% no (1,457). By coincidence I must have been exactly the 24,000th yes vote as our side was an even number with lots of zeros - someone had to do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom