• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blipper

MDS Supporter
    Dec 4, 2017
    Dundalk (Baltimore County)
    Based on what I’ve read about the Bernard Goetz incident, there is no way that his self defense case was stronger than Rittenhouse’s.
    A middle aged guy who happened to have a concealed weapon surrounded by five youths on the subway and “asked” for money. I think that’s about as strong as it gets outside of a home invasion.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    And to go one step further. I would think that every .gov related entity will be off the hook. Sovereign immunity or whatever it’s called. Like the cop hiding under the steps at the Florida school. Police have no legal requirement to, or legal liability for failing to protect anyone. And it wasn’t a .gov person that did the shooting.

kyle will be deemed the only person liable. Hope I am wrong.

Right, wrong or indifferent Rittenhouse will be found civilly liable. The question is for how much. Welcome to Merica.

robslamka

Feb 22, 2023
    Wisconsin
    Maybe.. but the Judge indicated a lawsuit against the police was being allowed. Time will tell. Lawyers will be involved, this the ONLY certainty.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A middle aged guy who happened to have a concealed weapon surrounded by five youths on the subway and “asked” for money. I think that’s about as strong as it gets outside of a home invasion.
    I think that there were a couple of things against Goetz. The first was that he fled and hid out in various hotels around New England, paying cash to stay off the radar. Additionally he burned the jacket he was wearing, and dismantled the pistol and scattered it around the woods.

Some of the things he said to police didn't help him.

"Goetz initially told police that, after firing four shots, he walked over to an injured Cabey and said, "You don't look so bad, here's another," before shooting him again; he later retracted this statement."

I absolutely believe he told police that and that it happened that way.

Asked what his intentions were when he drew his revolver, Goetz replied, "My intention was to murder them, to hurt them, to make them suffer as much as possible." Later in the tape, Goetz said, "If I had more bullets, I would have shot 'em all again and again. My problem was I ran out of bullets." He added, "I was gonna, I was gonna gouge one of the guys' eyes out with my keys afterwards", but said he stopped when he saw the fear in his eyes.

Compare this to Kyle whose first instinct was to run away, and he only shot Rosenbaum after the guy chased him down and attempted to take the gun away from him. Then, continuing to try to flee, was attacked several times more by multiple attackers where he used his rifle to defend himself against them - all of this was caught on video, so while some may try to argue the interpretation of what they are seeing, it's still there for anyone to see.

No one actually attacked Goetz. They asked him for money and maybe were intending to mug him, but Goetz turned the situation around, becoming the attacker when he drew his pistol and shot them.

If you think that Goetz had a better case of self-defense, you and I see things very differently.

blipper

MDS Supporter
    Dec 4, 2017
    Dundalk (Baltimore County)
    I think that there were a couple of things against Goetz. The first was that he fled and hid out in various hotels around New England, paying cash to stay off the radar. Additionally he burned the jacket he was wearing, and dismantled the pistol and scattered it around the woods.

Some of the things he said to police didn't help him.

"Goetz initially told police that, after firing four shots, he walked over to an injured Cabey and said, "You don't look so bad, here's another," before shooting him again; he later retracted this statement."

I absolutely believe he told police that and that it happened that way.

Asked what his intentions were when he drew his revolver, Goetz replied, "My intention was to murder them, to hurt them, to make them suffer as much as possible." Later in the tape, Goetz said, "If I had more bullets, I would have shot 'em all again and again. My problem was I ran out of bullets." He added, "I was gonna, I was gonna gouge one of the guys' eyes out with my keys afterwards", but said he stopped when he saw the fear in his eyes.

Compare this to Kyle whose first instinct was to run away, and he only shot Rosenbaum after the guy chased him down and attempted to take the gun away from him. Then, continuing to try to flee, was attacked several times more by multiple attackers where he used his rifle to defend himself against them - all of this was caught on video, so while some may try to argue the interpretation of what they are seeing, it's still there for anyone to see.

No one actually attacked Goetz. They asked him for money and maybe were intending to mug him, but Goetz turned the situation around, becoming the attacker when he drew his pistol and shot them.

If you think that Goetz had a better case of self-defense, you and I see things very differently.
    When he was surrounded and asked for money he definitely had a reasonable fear of imminent danger to his life that justified the use of deadly force. Although I think the jury could (as it did) find in Kyle’s favor I think Goetz’s situation was more clear cut in his favor.

Goetz’s post shooting behavior is possibly relevant to state of mind but no more so than Rittenhouse’s pre shooting behavior.

The point is that Goetz and Rittenhouse both won their criminal cases. Goetz lost his civil case and I think Rittenhouse will lose his too. Goetz never paid on the verdict and I don’t think Rittenhouse will either if he loses.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You and I clearly see this differently so we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on who had the stronger self-defense case. I also think that Rittenhouse stands a very good chance of winning a civil case.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Goetz was surrounded , asked for money , while being threatened with a weapon ( sharpened screwdriver ) .

At the time of actually shooting , he was emently justified .

Had he waited at the scene for NYTP . he'd have been good .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Goetz was surrounded , asked for money , while being threatened with a weapon ( sharpened screwdriver ) .

At the time of actually shooting , he was emently justified .

Had he waited at the scene for NYTP . he'd have been good .
    Check your references - from what I read, the screwdrivers were just plain unsharpened tools, and there was testimony that the screwdrivers never came out of their jacket pockets.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Has Rittenhouse been found to get served yet?
    No. But I believe the judge ruled that serving the papers to his sister after she said he lived at their house in Florida, but was not home at the time was legally sufficient.

Judges don’t like people who are intentionally dodging service. I mention that series of events earlier (and it appears he has admitted he has been dodging service, but his lawyer is arguing he hasn’t been served).

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Check your references - from what I read, the screwdrivers were just plain unsharpened tools, and there was testimony that the screwdrivers never came out of their jacket pockets.
    I'd feel much safer being attacked by five guys with unsharpened screwdrivers. So there's that . . .

Just as long as they didn't have Eruby's murder hammers.
    Muder hammer.jpg

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    This is not directed at you lazarus, but that is not exactly what happened.

Kyle did not have the rifle when his mother dropped him off earlier in the day, and possibly she didn't know he would have one later that evening (maybe he didn't plan to have one either until later, who knows?). He spent his daylight time there cleaning graffiti from previous rioting, and he was also known in the community having served as a lifeguard in Kenosha. I think we can safely remove Mom and her parenting skills from the argument.

As for Kyle later being armed with the rifle, it was legal, and the actions he took in defense of his own life were also legal, not to mention morally justified. Whether or not any outsider thinks he should or should not have been there is also not pertinent to what happened that night, it is merely an opinion offered by Monday morning quarterbacks after the fact.

He initially went to help clean up, and later was prepared to help with first-aid assistance. Whether his Mom, or whether even Kyle himself knew he would become more involved later, with or without a rifle, does not matter.

While anyone can claim Kyle was not adequately trained for an armed confrontation with rioters, was he any less trained than the other armed citizens there? Did he start any of the fights, or did he finish them? Did he not perform to a level of tactical and legal standards that all of us "trained" people hope we could emulate in the same situation? Did the well-armed and trained police there do anything to prevent the assaults on Kyle or protect him when he was assaulted?

In a world where men are not "men" anymore, Kyle certainly acted like a man, regardless of all the "shouldn't-have-been-there-not-trained-not mature enough" commentary he gets after the fact. People need to stop pandering to the Left with all of this after-the-fact commentary, commentary that feeds into the Leftist narrative that somehow Kyle was "wrong", no matter how right his actions turned out to be that night.

-He had every legal right to be where he was, and doing what he was doing. The criminals from out of town had no right to be in Kenosha destroying property and assaulting people.

-He managed to do everything legally and morally right when his life was in danger from criminal outsiders. Anyone who truly believes Kyle's "lack of training" is an issue in light of this is just jealous.

-"Should have" and "Shouldn't have" commentary after the fact has no bearing on the facts of the incident. All those making this commentary have no business claiming to be "pro-2A" and "pro-individual liberties" when they are second-guessing a young man who exemplified the qualities of both.
    Very well said.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    He's being sued again.

"Kyle Rittenhouse revealed on Friday, the third anniversary of the incident during the BLM riots in Kenosha that made him famous, he is been sued again, this time by a firm representing the estate of Joesph Rosenbaum....They are requesting a jury trial for conspiracy to deprive constitutional rights, conspiracy to obstruct justice based on invidious discrimination, and First Amendment retaliation."

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    He's being sued again.

"Kyle Rittenhouse revealed on Friday, the third anniversary of the incident during the BLM riots in Kenosha that made him famous, he is been sued again, this time by a firm representing the estate of Joesph Rosenbaum....They are requesting a jury trial for conspiracy to deprive constitutional rights, conspiracy to obstruct justice based on invidious discrimination, and First Amendment retaliation."

Sounds like the estate needs to sue itself.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    He's being sued again.

Geeze, what's the point? He'd probably win, though you never know with juries. But, even if the estate managed to pull the upset, what do they expect to get? Rittenhouse has nothing. He's unemployable.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    You and I clearly see this differently so we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on who had the stronger self-defense case. I also think that Rittenhouse stands a very good chance of winning a civil case.
    Can all of us agree that both are national heroes and should have monuments in DC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom