• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    And, if there's NO limit, then we admit there is nothing wrong with it NEVER being decided.

The court has a duty to decide a case properly before it. That duty is enforceable through a writ of mandamus. It will decide the case, of that I have no doubt. Honestly, it has only been six months. That is well within the bell curve

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Defer to the pro(s) obviously. I'm just always surprised it takes anywhere even remotely near this long for things to proceed.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Defer to the pro(s) obviously. I'm just always surprised it takes anywhere even remotely near this long for things to proceed.

It's a big case with big, difficult issues with potential for conflicts in the circuits. Those *always* take longer. And we too easily forget that this is not the only case on their docket.

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    I'm not a lawyer, and I have as little to do with the court system as possible (except serving jury duty or testifying if I'm called to do so in a case) but I always heard that people were entitled to a speedy trial, which I would interpret to mean that they also have a right to a speedy result of that trial. if half a year isn't considered unreasonable, what is? Is a year unreasonable, two years? At what point does the court get smacked?

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    I'm not a lawyer, and I have as little to do with the court system as possible (except serving jury duty or testifying if I'm called to do so in a case) but I always heard that people were entitled to a speedy trial, which I would interpret to mean that they also have a right to a speedy result of that trial. if half a year isn't considered unreasonable, what is? Is a year unreasonable, two years? At what point does the court get smacked?

:sad20:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

A speedy trial, but no promises on appeals. These are appeals to the completed trials.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

The above applies to criminal cases, which take precedence over civil cases.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Friend of mine was defendant in a hearing in Montgomery County civil matter. Hearing was eight days and ended Oct 16, 2014. Still no decision.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

I understand the frustration. I share it. But, a right to a speedy trial is a right of criminal defendant under the 6th Amendment and there are specific time constraints in statutes for that. For example, The Speedy Trial Act mandates that a criminal defendant must be brought to trial within 70 days of the filing of the indictment or the defendant's initial appearance, whichever occurs later. See 18 U.S.C. § 3161(c)(1). If that deadline is not met, the Act provides that the indictment “shall be dismissed on motion of the defendant.” 18 U.S.C. § 3162(a)(2).

But Kolbe is a civil case and the right of a speedy trial simply doesn't apply. Indeed, civil cases are delayed all the time because criminal trials get fast tracked over civil matters. The courts have a lot of leeway in civil matters. Take a look at Palmer and how long it took to get a district court decision in that case, notwithstanding two petitions for a writ of mandamus and an assignment of an out of district judge. Again 6 months since argument is well within the ball park.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    It's a big case with big, difficult issues with potential for conflicts in the circuits.

This also seems to me to be the sort of case that is almost guaranteed to be appealed no matter the Fourth Circuit's findings. So they may well want to be sure all their I's are dotted and T's crossed since the Supremes are likely to see it.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This also seems to me to be the sort of case that is almost guaranteed to be appealed no matter the Fourth Circuit's findings. So they may well want to be sure all their I's are dotted and T's crossed since the Supremes are likely to see it.

Agreed, and not sure the SCT but also for their colleagues on the 4th Circuit who decide any petition for en banc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom