• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHEF

May 25, 2011
    frederick Md
    Talk about it with your ex and find an age you can agree on. If they don't live with you and she would rather you not tell them you have a gun it might be best.I don't know your situation but it might save a lot of trouble in the long run.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Talk about it with your ex and find an age you can agree on. If they don't live with you and she would rather you not tell them you have a gun it might be best.I don't know your situation but it might save a lot of trouble in the long run.

I have to agree with that, depending on how much control she has over the kids and everything, she could spin this negatively if she really wanted too

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Eddie Eagle is supposed to take care of this issue, right?

Eddie Eagle is only one tool. It is designed for kids 6 and under. The program has but one message. Stop, Don't Touch, Leave the Area, and Tell a Responsible Adult.

Once a child shows enough maturity they should be taught basic firearm safety.Firearm safety is even good for kids that do not have access to firearms in their homes. You never know what they may find at a friends house.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I have two boys, ages 11 and 7. I think it would be a good idea to show them (or at least the older one, if not both) a gun (handgun, the only kind I have) and show them how it works and how to use it. And most importantly, how to be safe with it.

They do not live with me most of the time. The gun is stored securely. But kids are curious, and boys are especially curious about guns. I feel that by showing it to them, by explains how it works, etc., it will cease to be a magical item of wonder and will just become, in a way, another tool daddy has in the house. I want them to think of it as an ordinary boring household item, so they have no "itch" to try to find it and get at it.

My ex-wife (we get along pretty well, mostly) does not want them to even know I have it, let alone see it, touch it, learn how it works, learn about gun safety, etc.

What age do you feel is a reasonable age to start teaching kids about gun safety? Am I wrong to want to teach them? If I should be teaching them, what tips do you have, including what should I cover? Should my kids know I have a gun, and if you say yes, should they know where it is? Should they (or at least the older one) come to the range with me to shoot it? Will commercial ranges even let an 11-year-old in to shoot?

I totally agree with your thoughts on educating your kids on your firearm and/or firearms in general.

I went through the same thing with my ex-wife ...
    I followed my better judgement and took the time to educate my son on the functions, most common mistakes (1 in the chamber, etc.), and gun safety.
    I later took him to the range and let him shoot my guns. I felt this was important and was hoping doing this would help remove some of that "curiosity".

I have absolutely NO regrets.
    As for my ex ... my thinking was that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. ;)

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Eddie Eagle is only one tool. It is designed for kids 6 and under. The program has but one message. Stop, Don't Touch, Leave the Area, and Tell a Responsible Adult.

Once a child shows enough maturity they should be taught basic firearm safety.Firearm safety is even good for kids that do not have access to firearms in their homes. You never know what they may find at a friends house.

This is a very real concern. I can control access at my own house, but I'm powerless to protect my kids against someone else's gun hidden in a desk drawer at their friends house.The only preventive measure here is education.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom