• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    I have two boys, ages 11 and 7. I think it would be a good idea to show them (or at least the older one, if not both) a gun (handgun, the only kind I have) and show them how it works and how to use it. And most importantly, how to be safe with it.

They do not live with me most of the time. The gun is stored securely. But kids are curious, and boys are especially curious about guns. I feel that by showing it to them, by explains how it works, etc., it will cease to be a magical item of wonder and will just become, in a way, another tool daddy has in the house. I want them to think of it as an ordinary boring household item, so they have no "itch" to try to find it and get at it.

My ex-wife (we get along pretty well, mostly) does not want them to even know I have it, let alone see it, touch it, learn how it works, learn about gun safety, etc.

What age do you feel is a reasonable age to start teaching kids about gun safety? Am I wrong to want to teach them? If I should be teaching them, what tips do you have, including what should I cover? Should my kids know I have a gun, and if you say yes, should they know where it is? Should they (or at least the older one) come to the range with me to shoot it? Will commercial ranges even let an 11-year-old in to shoot?

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    The earlier the better. Don't sweat their mother's opinion, she hasn't a clue on the matter. Not trying to be insulting, just the reality of it. You are dead on with your thinking that you should begin the de-mystification now. Personally, I wouldn't start my kids on handguns at 7, but I would certainly have them shooting rifles. 11, no problem in the right and environment and with the right supervision.

AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    Update: I just called one range (On Target) and they said they have no age limit. The kid has to be tall enough to shoot over the counter; other than that, it's up to me, as far as they're concerned.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It is better to teach them about than have them find it when you are not around. Tell them, under no circumstances, are they to touch it when you are not supervising them.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Younger the better for sure!!! I think I started shooting around 10 or 11? My father made sure that I could group well (5") or so at 100 yards before he would let me hunt. I can remember shooting 2 boxes of .308 on the old Remington M788 with a wood stock and no recoild pad. I had a blast even though I started to develop a flinch.

I would do things different for sure. Start out with a .22lr with double hearing protection. No one likes the loud bangs and scares kids away.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Dont have kids, but here's my opinion. Show them early. Anytime they want to see it, let them. Make sure they know that they're only allowed to see it when you allow it.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I took the hunters safety course and got my first gun when I was 10. Started hunting and trap shooting with my dad soon after.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My father started me and my brother around that age - brother was 11, I was 9 - he started us out on a Marlin Model 60 .22 rifle (still have it), when we got a little older then we transitioned to handguns - S&W .38spl.

Agree with all, start them young, take the mystery out of it - that'll help in keeping them from playing with stuff when they aren't supposed to.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I introduced my son to shooting when he was 8 using a .22 rifle & revolver. We always wore hearing and eye protection. Before taking him to the range, we went over the safety items, using an empty gun, such as how to tell if a gun is loaded, keeping muzzle in safe direction, finger off trigger, etc. Always went shooting with the rule that if he broke a safety rule the range session immediately ended and we would not go back for a month. Also told him that any time he wanted to shoot, we would go as soon as possible. I do believe that the controlled access to guns made him less curious as I never had an issue with him messing with them when not supposed to. He is now 30 and still will not touch one of my guns without asking. One last thing, use a target that provides visuaL clues to a hit. Balloons, empty cans filled with water, clay pigeons, spinning targets, etc. Kids find it much more fun than punching paper. Plus it does help make you the cool Dad :cool: when they tell their friends about it.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Safe is good

It is better to teach them about than have them find it when you are not around. Tell them, under no circumstances, are they to touch it when you are not supervising them.

My four grew up knowing to never go looking for or touch guns without me around. They learned early about safety and proper handling with BB guns, on to paintballs and then the real deal. Taking them with you when you go will demonstrate how things are done and get them comfortable with the gear (ear and eye stuff) and noise. Then when they start shooting they are not surprised by it all. Mine all enjoy shooting and understand fully the consequences of pulling the trigger. It takes time but the lessons will sink in.
    Good Luck

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I don't think there's such a thing as too young for exposure and safety. Handling/shooting may vary by age due to maturity, etc...

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    I don't think there's such a thing as too young for exposure and safety. Handling/shooting may vary by age due to maturity, etc...

:thumbsup: Showed my son at age 6 and now he's completely fine around them. Well clean them together and go over safety every time. He won't touch them without my permission. Start young as recommended.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have always discussed gun safety with my kids for as long as they have been able to understand. I think it is important to take away the mystique that can surround guns. I take them with me when I shoot, if they want to go. I show them what I am doing and why I am doing it when I clean the guns. Sometimes they want to see and hold a particular gun, such as when they see something similar in a movie. I always go and get that gun out of the safe. That is another opportunity to discuss safe handling. Making sure the chamber is clear, safety is on, finger off the trigger, muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

My kids are 8 and 10. I am confident I could leave a loaded handgun on the coffee table, and it would not be touched. They would come and get me. They are not that excited by guns, because they can see them and shoot them anytime they want. You should see how bananas some of their friends get when they see a gun, because their parents don't own any or won't talk about it. Familiarity is you best defense against an accident.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Gun safety and proper use is one of the most important things we can teach young people IMHO.
    That and how to swim should be mandatory in our elementary schools.

Last edited:

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Your goal here should be to take the "sensation" out of curious children seeking out something that is forbidden. My son got to look at my guns at age 4. I started by showing them to him, field stripping the pistols, and just generally letting him be around me when I did stuff with them. He has an interest, but its not something he will seek out in my absence, because I have taken the time to show them to him, and tell him that he can see them anytime as long as he asks. Their motheris anti-gun, so I've taken the time to do so knowing that guns could be reinforced as "bad" when they are at her home.

I will now periodically try to hand them a gun with a closed action. They have yet to accept it from me, they always see the action closed and tell me to open it ad clear it before they pick it up from me. You should keep in mind that in MD it is a criminal charge to keep a weapon where a child under 16 could gain access. As long as you unloaded and trigger lock or keep them in somethng CA DOJ certified when they are in yur home, you should be ok.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Even if you didn't have guns there is no telling if their neighbors do. I think it is a bad idea not to teach kids about guns, so i actually started the safety talks around 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom