• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    What issues are there?

Jenkins was a FCSO deputy for many years before he ran for Sheriff. He is a County boy all the way and knows Frederick County's challenges for LE, as he has seen it grow in front of his eyes. Jenkins know where the hot beds are and where the hot and cold areas are in regards to gangs, narcotics, etc...

Grubb being from FPD, doesn't know the changes that have occurred as Frederick County has grown, because he has been in the City of Frederick PD. He has zero experience with county issues, nor can he handle such a diverse and heavily manned LE agency like FCSO.

Leave the job to somebody that has working knowledge of the county's needs and it's issues, rose up through the ranks of FCSO, knows what it is like to be in that patrol car, hasn't changed since he first put on the badge, and you will have an excellent sheriff.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Jenkins was a FCSO deputy for many years before he ran for Sheriff. He is a County boy all the way and knows Frederick County's challenges for LE, as he has seen it grow in front of his eyes. Jenkins know where the hot beds are and where the hot and cold areas are in regards to gangs, narcotics, etc...

Grubb being from FPD, doesn't know the changes that have occurred as Frederick County has grown, because he has been in the City of Frederick PD. He has zero experience with county issues, nor can he handle such a diverse and heavily manned LE agency like FCSO.

Leave the job to somebody that has working knowledge of the county's needs and it's issues, rose up through the ranks of FCSO, knows what it is like to be in that patrol car, hasn't changed since he first put on the badge, and you will have an excellent sheriff.

Okay...well that didn't answer my question not sure why I was quoted.

While I can appreciate the passion of your post some of your points just aren't logical. "nor can he handle such a diverse and heavily managed LE agency"...well how do we know this? At some point the current sheriff wasn't in charge of such a "large" LE agency right? No one would ever go from "entry" level management to "upper" if what you said is true. They shouldn't advance because they've never done it before?

I was more interested in what "issues" the department has and asked the guy who stated there were issues.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Okay...well that didn't answer my question not sure why I was quoted.

While I can appreciate the passion of your post some of your points just aren't logical. "nor can he handle such a diverse and heavily managed LE agency"...well how do we know this? At some point the current sheriff wasn't in charge of such a "large" LE agency right? No one would ever go from "entry" level management to "upper" if what you said is true. They shouldn't advance because they've never done it before?

I was more interested in what "issues" the department has and asked the guy who stated there were issues.

Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to go into the issues that are internal to FCSO. I can only state what is public knowledge and can be read in the papers.

I quoted you because I thought you were asking what the differences were between Jenkins and Grubb. I was highlighting the differences in their LE agency experience, where one was a FCSO deputy and knows what happens internal to FCSO and has seen it as he rose through the ranks, while the other has zero knowledge of the issues facing FCSO, nor the internal problems.

Hagy created a lot of internal issues with FCSO and as such, Jenkins got in and did his damnedest to to clean up FCSO from the inside. He largely succeeded in doing so, because the deputies knew him as one of them and Jenkins knew how to move within the system to enact the changes that he wanted.

If you were looking at candidates that were running for sheriff, would you want a guy that was a deputy sheriff for his entire LE career before running for sheriff, or would you want somebody that was a city cop trying to jump up to be CLEO of the county, with zero knowledge of the issues facing the county?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to go into the issues that are internal to FCSO. I can only state what is public knowledge and can be read in the papers.

I quoted you because I thought you were asking what the differences were between Jenkins and Grubb. I was highlighting the differences in their LE agency experience, where one was a FCSO deputy and knows what happens internal to FCSO and has seen it as he rose through the ranks, while the other has zero knowledge of the issues facing FCSO, nor the internal problems.

Hagy created a lot of internal issues with FCSO and as such, Jenkins got in and did his damnedest to to clean up FCSO from the inside. He largely succeeded in doing so, because the deputies knew him as one of them and Jenkins knew how to move within the system to enact the changes that he wanted.

If you were looking at candidates that were running for sheriff, would you want a guy that was a deputy sheriff for his entire LE career before running for sheriff, or would you want somebody that was a city cop trying to jump up to be CLEO of the county, with zero knowledge of the issues facing the county?

I'd want the better one to serve the public and sadly as I can find numerous examples of "experience" doesn't always matter. I have no dog in the fight (or even a vote for that matter) but I'm sure the other guy isn't going from a patrol car to Sheriff. I'd assume he's served in upper management at his current agency and I'd assume he's studied and obtained a degree or at least went to FBI Training for Police Administers.

Again..I know neither and you might know more first hand issues then me.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I think the biggest issue is that Jenkins has stood by his men. The biggest is with the incident of Robert Ethan Saylor, who had down syndrome....Very unfortunate should not have happened. Other than that incident, I don't think he has a bad mark against him.
    I would vote for him in a minute.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I've known Kevin personally since 1991 when I was assigned to a patrol shift with him in Frederick City. Back then FCSO deputies would often be seen in the City looking for excitement on the night shift because they were bored. They and MSP split the county in half for patrol duties.

I'm not knocking the FCSO but if you want experience and action, the City is where you go, not the county. Any FCSO Deputy or MSP Barrack B Trooper will admit the same.

Since I first met him, Kevin has worked his way up the ladder from patrol officer, to Sergeant, to the Training Academy, eventually to Deputy Chief before his recent retirement. He was also the FOP President for many years including over many contract negotiations resulting in improvements in the working conditions for FPD officers.

I can attest that Kevin is a stand up guy, honest and trustworthy to a fault. Just as importantly he has the gift of common sense. He's a family man, a Frederick County resident for well over 20 years, and the best man for Sheriff in Frederick County.

I can assure you he is an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment and a proud USAF Veteran.

Please see his Facebook page for more information on his achievements and priorities: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kevin-Grubb-for-Sheriff/505560132896094

I thought this one was also interesting: https://www.facebook.com/StopFrederickCountyMDSheriffJenkins?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

Here is further info on the FB page in reference to a question about Grubb and the 2A.

-------------

James Grose What are your feelings on CCW permits? The SB281 law? Also the right for people to have class 3 firearms? Will you sign off on a supressor? Answer these in a real post on your page and let us know where you stand . Then and only then may you have my support and the support of the gun owners I am part of.
    Like · Reply · February 16 at 10:42am · Edited

Kevin Grubb for Sheriff Mr. Grose, thanks for the questions and yes, I fully support citizens’ right to receive CCW permits, after meeting the requirements currently in place. I am concerned with the unjustified or random denials of these permits by the MSP. I recently learned that a friend who works in Law Enforcement applied for, and was denied a permit and I encouraged him to appeal that decision. I do agree with past arugments that the law should be changed to “Shall” and not “May” issue.
    In early 2013, I applied for and received a permit myself, even though I am permitted to carry a firearm under H.R. 218, Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, signed July 22, 2004 by President George W. Bush. I carry both cards. If you recall, there was local discussion in 2011 about giving the Sheriff the authority to issue CCW permits, but the initiative lacked support by our local representatives.
    If you ask those who know me, they will tell you, I don’t like to hear “It will not happen” on common sense issues.That only fuels my determination to make change. So we can talk more later.
    A recent decision in California stated a three-member panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, acting on a 2009 lawsuit, ruled in a 2-1 decision that San Diego County's restrictions amounted to an unconstitutional infringement on citizens' Second Amendment rights to bear arms, which opens the door for more lawsuits nationwide. Maryland’s laws may face the same hurdles.
    Yes, I support the right of citizens to own class III firearms. I realize SB281 has dramatically restricted those rights, but if California courts are saying their laws are unconstitutionally infringing on citizens' Second Amendment rights to bear arms,
    there is hope for the citizens of Maryland.
    Your last question about signing off on a suppressor, I would need more information from the applicant before making a decision and signing ATF form 4 Section 17.
    I hope I answered your questions, please contact me anytime.
    Like · 2 · February 17 at 8:45am · Edited

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    I think the biggest issue is that Jenkins has stood by his men. The biggest is with the incident of Robert Ethan Saylor, who had down syndrome....Very unfortunate should not have happened. Other than that incident, I don't think he has a bad mark against him.
    I would vote for him in a minute.

I heard Sheriff Jenkins on the radio talking in detail about the Saylor death. He was critical of deputies working privately for the theater and the position that puts the sheriff's office into. The blame for that death does not reach to the Sheriff. Perhaps you think he somehow pardoned the deputies.

Voting for Sheriff Jenkins is the only time I have been 100% certain that I voted for the correct choice.

He is a straight talker, no clever wording to hide an agenda. He lets the chips fall where they may.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I heard Sheriff Jenkins on the radio talking in detail about the Saylor death. He was critical of deputies working privately for the theater and the position that puts the sheriff's office into. The blame for that death does not reach to the Sheriff. Perhaps you think he somehow pardoned the deputies.

Well that makes zero sense since he's the one on charge, those conditions of the deputies working secondary were under his knowledge and oversight.

It goes sideways and now he wants to disavow himself of any responsibility and puts it squarely on the deputies?

Speaks volumes to me.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Well that makes zero sense since he's the one on charge, those conditions of the deputies working secondary were under his knowledge and oversight.

It goes sideways and now he wants to disavow himself of any responsibility and puts it squarely on the deputies?

Speaks volumes to me.

I never said he disavows responsibility for anything. Just the opposite, he takes responsibility for his actions. Do you think that he somehow pardoned the deputies or illegally interfered in the justice process?

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I don't know enough about that situation other than reading about the incident in the paper shortly after it happened, so I can't speak to what Jenkins may have, or may not have, done.

I understand Jenkins did not work his way through the ranks but essentially went from Deputy to Sheriff in one election day.
    I don't see how someone can cultivate essential managerial skills in doing so.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

I can assure you he is an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment ....

Here is further info on the FB page in reference to a question about Grubb and the 2A.

-------------

James Grose What are your feelings on CCW permits? The SB281 law? Also the right for people to have class 3 firearms? Will you sign off on a supressor? Answer these in a real post on your page and let us know where you stand . Then and only then may you have my support and the support of the gun owners I am part of.
    Like · Reply · February 16 at 10:42am · Edited

Kevin Grubb for Sheriff Mr. Grose, thanks for the questions and yes, I fully support citizens’ right to receive CCW permits, after meeting the requirements currently in place. I am concerned with the unjustified or random denials of these permits by the MSP. I recently learned that a friend who works in Law Enforcement applied for, and was denied a permit and I encouraged him to appeal that decision. I do agree with past arugments that the law should be changed to “Shall” and not “May” issue.
    In early 2013, I applied for and received a permit myself, even though I am permitted to carry a firearm under H.R. 218, Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, signed July 22, 2004 by President George W. Bush. I carry both cards. If you recall, there was local discussion in 2011 about giving the Sheriff the authority to issue CCW permits, but the initiative lacked support by our local representatives.
    If you ask those who know me, they will tell you, I don’t like to hear “It will not happen” on common sense issues.That only fuels my determination to make change. So we can talk more later.
    A recent decision in California stated a three-member panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, acting on a 2009 lawsuit, ruled in a 2-1 decision that San Diego County's restrictions amounted to an unconstitutional infringement on citizens' Second Amendment rights to bear arms, which opens the door for more lawsuits nationwide. Maryland’s laws may face the same hurdles.
    Yes, I support the right of citizens to own class III firearms. I realize SB281 has dramatically restricted those rights, but if California courts are saying their laws are unconstitutionally infringing on citizens' Second Amendment rights to bear arms,
    there is hope for the citizens of Maryland.
    Your last question about signing off on a suppressor, I would need more information from the applicant before making a decision and signing ATF form 4 Section 17.
    I hope I answered your questions, please contact me anytime.
    Like · 2 · February 17 at 8:45am · Edited

Joe Biden and Obama both are 2A supporters. Grubb must not know or is ok with the 16 hr training course for a Carry Permit in MD as well as the 8 hour course for renewals. Md does not offer a CCW. He should know to call things by there proper designation.
    As far as his answer about the form 4, the correct answer is yes.
    I question him being an ardent supporter of the 2nd Amendment.
    Although I do not have a dog in this fight as I live in CC.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Joe Biden and Obama both are 2A supporters. Grubb must not know or is ok with the 16 hr training course for a Carry Permit in MD as well as the 8 hour course for renewals. Md does not offer a CCW. He should know to call things by there proper designation.
    As far as his answer about the form 4, the correct answer is yes.
    I question him being an ardent supporter of the 2nd Amendment.
    Although I do not have a dog in this fight as I live in CC.

As far as the form 4 he's saying it would be on a case by case basis and not a blind, blanket yes for anyone who walks in with a Form 4.

He's also clearly said he's in favor of Shall issue, not may issue.

Some want more of the same in Frederick. Others want a go getter with a penchant for getting things done and with the skills and perseverance to get them done.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    The Saylor death and excessive use of force issues are troubling, but I still support Jenkins. Especially if Grubb is retired FPD. If there's one department that I have zero respect for, it's that worthless outfit of jokers.

I spent 10 years living in the city and you wouldn't believe the incompetence of that department. From not knowing basic city ordinances to 45 min response times for fatal shootings that occurred 4 blocks from the station (yes, I actually called it in and waited) to the misuse of funds (why did frederick need a dozen cops on segway?). I wouldn't vote for anyone who retired from that department.

Edit: apologies if the above offends current or former FPD. Obviously it's nothing personal, just one residents opinion.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    The Saylor death and excessive use of force issues are troubling, but I still support Jenkins. Especially if Grubb is retired FPD. If there's one department that I have zero respect for, it's that worthless outfit of jokers.

I spent 10 years living in the city and you wouldn't believe the incompetence of that department. From not knowing basic city ordinances to 45 min response times for fatal shootings that occurred 4 blocks from the station (yes, I actually called it in and waited) to the misuse of funds (why did frederick need a dozen cops on segway?). I wouldn't vote for anyone who retired from that department.

Edit: apologies if the above offends current or former FPD. Obviously it's nothing personal, just one residents opinion.

45 minute response time to a shooting? Are you exaggerating?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Nope. I was put on hold after reporting, asked not to hang up, and finally did hang up after approximately 20 mins. About 10-15 minutes later FPD rolled up, no lights/siren and casually got out of the car and waited for others to arrive. I watched the whole thing unfold from my bedroom window (as did several of the neighbors) and the perps involved (about a dozen or more yelling #1s ) could have easily been rounded up had anyone bothered to quit patrolling Market St. looking for drunks to head over to the ghetto (Center, Madison, W. South) to investigate.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Nope. I was put on hold after reporting, asked not to hang up, and finally did hang up after approximately 20 mins. About 10-15 minutes later FPD rolled up, no lights/siren and casually got out of the car and waited for others to arrive. I watched the whole thing unfold from my bedroom window (as did several of the neighbors) and the perps involved (about a dozen or more yelling #1s ) could have easily been rounded up had anyone bothered to quit patrolling Market St. looking for drunks to head over to the ghetto (Center, Madison, W. South) to investigate.

So the response time is 30 minutes, up to 45 minutes? Either way too long.

There is a piece of this puzzle missing. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense and there undoubtedly is an explanation that will shed further light on this, but may or may not be a valid excuse, but it sounds like the system didn't work for one reason or other.

I worked for FPD for 4 years 90-94 and it was a great experience.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    I also had solicitation "stings" occur in front of my house from time to time. The stupid female officer even approached me when I walked out front to retrieve something from my car.

Meanwhile, open air dealing is in progress a block away. Like I said, it's nothing personal, but these are just a few stories. Unfortunately there are plenty.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    So the response time is 30 minutes, up to 45 minutes? Either way too long.

There is a piece of this puzzle missing. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense and there undoubtedly is an explanation that will shed further light on this, but may or may not be a valid excuse, but it sounds like the system didn't work for one reason or other.

I worked for FPD for 4 years 90-94 and it was a great experience.

I lived there from 2002-2012, so maybe chief Dine was responsible. I dunno. One of my good friends and neighbors retired from DC and got so sick of the lack of response for drug activity that he started to call in domestics in progress (not sure why but response times were pretty quick for that?)

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread. For me personally, now living further out in the county, 2A is the biggest issue. Not too much crime out here and as a result of my experience in the city, I'm well armed :)

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    I have nothing against Kevin, or other candidates for Sheriff. I don't know about them. I am profoundly satisfied with Sheriff Jenkins and don't want to chance messing up our Sheriff Department.

I applaud his stance on illegal immigration enforcement. I've listened to several WFMD Sheriff interviews. He does not hide behind political ideology. He puts his thoughts out there in a plain and straight forward manor. Crime is crime, fight it in the most effective manor. He does not hide.

Chuck Jenkins is well thought of nationally. I won't give up on him without seeing a better plan. A detailed plan for the changes they think need made. Let them put there ideas out there and defend them. Proven track record for implementing same changes. Have they done what they say they will do. Demonstrated history of looking after the taxpayers. No blank checks, what would they do different with today's budget.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Here's something I'd really like to see implemented in Frederick County. From a jurisdiction in SC:

" Reserve Deputy Unit
    Since 1980, the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department has been assisted by private citizens who have decided to serve their community by volunteering their time to work as a regular uniformed Deputy Sheriff. In fact, the Sheriff’s Department was the first law enforcement agency in South Carolina to start a reserve officer program.

Reserve Deputies have the same authority as do regular full-time law enforcement officers, therefore to become a Reserve Deputy, an individual must satisfactorily meet the same selection criteria and standards as do those individuals pursuing a full-time, paid position with the Sheriff’s Department.

Generally each year, the Sheriff’s Department conducts one Reserve Deputy candidate school where individuals receive 202-hours of instruction on a variety of topics, to include: Criminal Law, Police Procedures, Emergency Vehicle Operations, Defensive Tactics, and Firearms. Candidates must complete this training, then successfully obtain reserve officer law enforcement certification through the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy to become a Reserve Deputy.

Thereafter, Reserve Deputies are required to serve a minimum of 60-hours per quarter, and attend a minimum of four-hours of ongoing training per month."

Why not do something similar here in Frederick? It makes sense to me to leverage trained and cleared county citizens to support certain missions and assist in the event of emergencies. And if you truly believe in putting more "good guys with guns" on the street, this is a good way to make that happen in a 2A unfriendly place like MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom