• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    so really what's the difference between the RFB and a FAL? I would put them both in the same class.

You mean besides the fact that the RFB is a bullpup lump of Kel-Tec poop that has a horrible jam rate and is almost impossible to find, while the FAL is a traditional configuration battle rifle that is reliable and combat proven?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I guess I was asking the wrong question. What makes an FAL an FAL vs. anything else?

The design.

What makes an AR-15 different from a Remington Model 700? Two different designs.

The FAL is a gas operated rifle that uses a piston, like many other guns, but it has a look and feel that is different. There are two different families of FAL, the Metric and the Inch pattern guns. Inch guns for some reason were never made with a folding stock and almost none were made with full auto capabilities.

The Metric guns can be had as a folder and there are full auto versions but US law made importing those hard after the GCA of '68 was passed.

When the US was looking at the M14 the FAL was also being considered. The M14 at that time was called the T44, the FAL was called the T48. Most of the T48's are in storage somewhere.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The design.

What makes an AR-15 different from a Remington Model 700? Two different designs.

The FAL is a gas operated rifle that uses a piston, like many other guns, but it has a look and feel that is different. There are two different families of FAL, the Metric and the Inch pattern guns. Inch guns for some reason were never made with a folding stock and almost none were made with full auto capabilities.

The Metric guns can be had as a folder and there are full auto versions but US law made importing those hard after the GCA of '68 was passed.

When the US was looking at the M14 the FAL was also being considered. The M14 at that time was called the T44, the FAL was called the T48. Most of the T48's are in storage somewhere.

Thanks for the info!

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I've read of many problems with the initial batch of RFBs. I really wanted one, but decided to pass considering all the issues. According to the most recent forums, Keltec has addressed most of them; but the jury is still out on long term reliability. I doubt it will ever reach FAL levels. I've never shot the RFB. But My FAL is a blast, and the AUG and PS90 are two of my favorite rifles (I love bullpups, getting I'm a Tavor next year when funds permit). The PS90 has a much better trigger than the AUG (MSAR, same difference). But you can greatly improve the feel of the AUG trigger with a Ratworx AR trigger pack for $200. It will then accept any AR trigger, and even a basic AR FCG feels better than the plastic AUG trigger pack. Even the $25 Trigger Tamer greatly improves the feel. I simply soaked the pack in Armor All Wax, (and coated the trigger and linkages) and the lubrication really improved feel.

Gratuitous pics of three of my favorite guns.
    258.jpg

P1013845.jpg

E4RD001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom