• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • earthprime

Nov 7, 2014
    MD
    I'm getting ready to purchase my first home defense shotgun, and have been doing a ton of research for the best weapon. All reviews I'm finding for the KSG describe it as a superior CQ shotgun to whats currently on the market. Does anyone own a KSG to give their honest opinion? Is there a better option?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    After handling/shooting at least 5 of them now - with everything from light bird-shot to magnum slugs - I wouldn't trust it as a HD shotgun.

Fun range toy though, when you can find one, and when it works right.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    HD shotgun= mossberg 500 or Remington 870

You will not find two shotguns with better reviews on reliability, value, or functionality.

Mossberg 500s are striker fired, available with a ton of factory options, generally more affordable, and was the standard shotgun of the US Army.

Remington 870s have hammers, are widely popular with police and civilian agencies, have rounded bolts, easily upgraded and customized. They also were the Marine corps choice for pump action shotguns before being replaced by the Benelli.

Both have a world of aftermarket parts available, both have excellent reputations for reliability, and both can be had for under 300 [I have gotten used 500s for 100.00 and 870s for 150.00]. I would definitely choose one of these as a HD shotgun before any gimmicky or unproven new gun.

earthprime

Nov 7, 2014
    MD
    Thank you! I was looking at the Mossberg 500 as my second choice, looks like maybe the KSG isn't the weapon I need.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Go with a proven semi auto.

Fn slp, Benelli m2/m4, versamax, mossy 930.

Or go old-school and get a pump action without a disconnect. :thumbsup:

ETA: In hind-sight, the semi-auto is still the better option. Not everyone can rack a slide as fast as pulling a trigger.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    KSGs are a gimic.

M2 is a slick gun. I would trust my life with it. Supernova is also great if you want a pump. I am weary of 870s since I have seen so many jam. A good 870 is a good gun, but I have seen many that shouldn't have past quality control. I wouldn't trust my life with one.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    I had one and sold it, it was very easy to short stroke, especially when your in a situation of defending your home. It kicked a lot harder than any other 12g i shot.

Mine had no issues, but i questioned how it would hold up in the long run with all of that polymer. The polymer lever that switched the tubes you load scared me too. It was a cool conversation piece and turned heads though...

I put Magpul MBUS and a RVG on it, seemed like a good setup to help with short stroking.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Jammed like a bunch of stoned rockers. Got about 24 rounds, then it failed to extract.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      113.8 KB · Views: 493

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    KSG is a fun gun and handles very well, but for HD I would stick with more proven platforms.

Very little beats a good Mossberg 590 or Rem 870 for practical applications. A lot cheaper too.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Pump... Mossy590 or 500 with a standard stock.

But practice a lot.. It is easy to short chuck the gun under stress. That is true for any pumpgun.

For this reason, i recommend a semi.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Its a cheaper Made in Mexico Mossberg 500. But its good to go.

Made in Eagle pass, TX with some Mexican parts.

The difference is mainly:
    1. finish
    2. the slide rails are permanantly attatched to the forend
    3. the triggergaurd houses the safety.

Still a good deal for a beginner and if you swap out the slide rail [around 50 bucks for a mossy 500 forend] you basically have a 500 with a different safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom