• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Hey neighbors,

Please keep an eye out on your property for things like plastic water bottles, or any other items that aren't yours that mysteriously show up either overnight or while you're at work. Apparently, this is how theives in the area are casing houses to determine whether you're home or out of town.

They come up and place something like a water bottle or some other simple garbage item on your doorstep or somewhere obvious like that where you're sure to see it, and like any garbage, throw away. Then they come back in a day or two and if the item is still there, they know that you're out of town and your house is ripe for the pickings.

Over the last week, we've found four small Deer Park Water bottles. Three were on and around our front porch, one was on top of our AC unit in our fenced in back yard. That one was worriesome since the AC unit is right next to our bedroom window and it was definitely NOT there the night before.

A couple weeks ago, we had a "solicitor" knock on the door and try to sell my wife on some cock and bull carpet cleaning deal or something, he wouldn't really explain what it was. My wife told him that we weren't interested, at which time I came to the door to see who she was talking to. He snatched the pamplet out of her hand and stormed through the flower garden, across the yard, and got back in his car (a grey colored early-mid 90's sedan) and drove off. It seemed weird at the time, since he didn't seem to go to any of the other houses on the street. Just ours.

Fast forward to today after having found several water bottles on our property, as my wife is leaving she sees the same guy with the same car, drinking from the same kind of water bottle we've been finding.

That was suspicious enough to make her call the police and confrm that yes, this is something that theives do in order to determine who is and isn't home. She also mentioned the solicitor, and gave them a description of the car. They said they've been looking for him, and asked us to call if we saw him again.

So just to reiterate, if a taller, thinnish olive/tan skinned man with dark curly hair driving a gray POS sedan comes to your door, or if you start finding water bottles or things like that around your doors, porch or on your property that definitely are not yours, keep an eye out.

I just wanted to share this info with people that live in the area.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I will pass this on to a few co-workers that live in the Bowie area.

This type of crap is why I have 12 cameras on the outside of my home and 4 inside. The cameras in conjunction to the alarm system and neighbors that we know should help deter a would be burglar.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Is there any way you can get a stay at home neighbor (if there is one) to keep an eye out to see who is placing the water bottles? Seems like they have to come right up on the property to do that.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Is there any way you can get a stay at home neighbor (if there is one) to keep an eye out to see who is placing the water bottles? Seems like they have to come right up on the property to do that.

Planning on talking to my retired neighbors this evening. ;)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'd save the water bottle so you have his DNA and fingerprints.
    (Maybe I watch too much TV :rolleyes:)

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Leave the bottles and take a day off to enjoy some quiet time in your home....:innocent0

Interesting note. The days last we where my wife and I rode our moto's to work and left the cars in the driveway, no water bottles.

Very next day we both drove, and came home to a water bottle on the porch.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Interesting note. The days last we where my wife and I rode our moto's to work and left the cars in the driveway, no water bottles.

Very next day we both drove, and came home to a water bottle on the porch.

i say the same thing park your car around the block and come back in and wait, let the guy come in hold him till the police get there, better yet invite a plain clothes to hang out and have tea. something about your house has this perp intrigued. if it was me i would gladly let a plainclothes in to get rid of someone like that... just dont touch my collection of spoons right spoons.:party29:

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO J-DOG

Man, it sounds like they REALLY have it out on your house, it sounds like. watching it that close. Too bad you do not have a powerful pellet gun to give them a flat from somewhere they cannot see you ( sniper stalk anyone :-) then call the polie when they are changing the tire :-)

Saving the bottles for fingerprints or dna is not that far fetched really

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    game camera......if you're cool with leaving your phone in a window somewhere...use this to get pictures of them on your property...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jastrzab.move&hl=en
    they've got a variety of apps for your phone to take pictures when something moves in it's camera's view. It's how I figured out this squirrel was eating jenni's plants...
    1064534_10100187794904681_1331975048_o.jpg

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I have decided if I catch someone breaking into my house, they will suffer greatly. I won't waste the ammo (or lawyer expenses) to shoot them, I am going to tie them up and force them to live/pay taxes/drive in rush hour/have your votes be meaningless and then force them to try and buy a handgun from a Md. FFL who won't do 8-day release.
    If that does cure them of a life of crime, I'll shoot them in the knee and make them use OBAMA Care.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Thanks for sharing - got some friends in Bowie to advise.

Perhaps time to leave some spent shell casings in the same places they leave the bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom