• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    I'll agree with you (to a point).I have kids and pets and neither one will be put in jeopardy for a snake.Very few deaths have been attributed to copperheads,but I will not take a chance.

Agree. Copperheads do not cause many deaths, but a bite can cause a good bit of trouble. I don't want my kids/dogs getting bitten.

Because us snake haters DON'T LIKE THEM? :rolleyes: I bought MY property, the snake didn't. Do you kill game or fish?

http://blogs.lifeandscience.org/keepers/files/2011/02/armpic1.jpg

snakebite.jpg

I can understand where your all coming from, I just would rather see them moved than killed, that's all. I wouldn't want my kids or pets endangered either. I'm baffeled when I see people I know deliberately go out of their way to kill a snake. I kill Game and fish to eat, not just for the hell of it. Even as much as I despise deer, I still make sure I either give the meat away or use it myself. As far as snakes and what not, I tend to let a sleeping dog lie.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Yep, cause he slithers. He's a very nice snake. He has helped turn some haters into people who are more tolerant. All of the neighborhood kids handle him regularly. Only person who has ever been bitten is me. My fault, though. I got my hand between his mouth and a mouse. Dumb.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    FYI, Copperheads are a protected snake in MD. :)

Well it would not be my fault if my shovel landed on one by accident if is living near my house (like right next to it).

Never understand why people kill snakes like they do. Even venomous ones, a copperhead doesn't want anymore to do with you than you it. My great uncle has black snakes in his house all winter long. It would be rude to put them out in the cold. I'm not sayin everyone needs to house them, but no nead to kill them. I've even drug them out of roads before so they don't get run over.

And i understand that, i do. But i have a 10 year old girl and a 10 pound dog. Not taking the chance of them getting bitten, they are always running around the house in the yard.

your not an idiot for killing it. You could have made a lot of money if you caught it and sold it.

Oh trust me, i saw a video in yt with a guy playing with one, and i feel really about it. If i knew what it was i would have actually try to keep it as a pet. :(

ESHOREhunter

Aug 16, 2012
    Sad news

Now you know! We learn from our mistakes!

:smack:

I am an idiot, i never heard of them before. The shape of the head is what made me do it really. Plus it's location to my house. If you guys search youtube for one you will see how they will mimic a venomous snake head.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Those are very good snakes to have around. But you can't beat yourself up. Shit happens, you leaned, done. I'm a snake lover!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Yep, cause he slithers. He's a very nice snake. He has helped turn some haters into people who are more tolerant. All of the neighborhood kids handle him regularly. Only person who has ever been bitten is me. My fault, though. I got my hand between his mouth and a mouse. Dumb.

'Cause he slithers...good stuff.

As a medical professional I'm sure you care for the wound in the right manner. Even a non-poisonous snake has some awful bacteria in their mouth. And since you know that I said it as a public service. :D

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Caught a 3-3.5 foot black rat snake in my yard on Friday. He was a very active sucker and took me a bit to snag him, but I didn't want him to get run over in the street. It was about as big around as a shovel handle and kept wrapping around and sqeezing my hand and arm. The wife and I don't mind having snakes around and usually find half a dozen of the 8-12 inchers in the yard each year. The odd thing was we live on a very small lot in Baltimore without much snake habitat to support a snake of that size. Let him go in the wooded easement behind the neighbors house.

Can't get much better than a snake for rodent control.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Odd ... my wife and I were at a park this past weekend and found a baby hog nose near one of the soccer fields. I figured someone would see it and kill it, so I put it into a plastic cup, took it home, and let it go in the yard. They are great snakes to have around, and don't really bother much besides toads.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    'Cause he slithers...good stuff.

As a medical professional I'm sure you care for the wound in the right manner. Even a non-poisonous snake has some awful bacteria in their mouth. And since you know that I said it as a public service. :D

Good public service announcement. Yes, disinfected the wound right away.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    2012-09-12 10.30.08.jpg

2012-09-12 10.31.46.jpg

found this lil booger in the gym when I was lining my kids up at the end of class. They thought it was neat to get an experience to see a snake up close. The next class coming in thought it was cool too and got to be there when I released it out back in a drainage area just before their warmup run. If something's a danger to your family, then defend your family....but snakes often get rid of the bugs and mice that actually pose a more immediate threat to your family than the snakes do. Part of being a good caretaker of this world we've been given is allowing nature to exist around us(afterall, we're animals and part of nature ourselves).

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Caught a 3-3.5 foot black rat snake in my yard on Friday. He was a very active sucker and took me a bit to snag him, but I didn't want him to get run over in the street. It was about as big around as a shovel handle and kept wrapping around and sqeezing my hand and arm. The wife and I don't mind having snakes around and usually find half a dozen of the 8-12 inchers in the yard each year. The odd thing was we live on a very small lot in Baltimore without much snake habitat to support a snake of that size. Let him go in the wooded easement behind the neighbors house.

Can't get much better than a snake for rodent control.

Pics of the above mentioned snake... after looking at the pics I think he's closer to 4.5-5 feet. Rodents beware! :party29:

snakesmall2.jpg

snakesmall1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom