• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    We have a black snake on the easement behind our townhouse my policy is live and let live haven't had a problem with field mice yet.

Though I am fully convinced that he's eating the rabbits too.:(

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Pics of the above mentioned snake... after looking at the pics I think he's closer to 4.5-5 feet. Rodents beware! :party29:

snakesmall1.jpg

That snake does NOT look happy.

stillwillin

Mar 15, 2009
    Mont Co.
    Caught a 3-3.5 foot black rat snake in my yard on Friday. He was a very active sucker and took me a bit to snag him, but I didn't want him to get run over in the street. It was about as big around as a shovel handle and kept wrapping around and sqeezing my hand and arm. The wife and I don't mind having snakes around and usually find half a dozen of the 8-12 inchers in the yard each year. The odd thing was we live on a very small lot in Baltimore without much snake habitat to support a snake of that size. Let him go in the wooded easement behind the neighbors house.

Can't get much better than a snake for rodent control.

Since a couple of black snakes began wander through my yard regularly I have had no more problems with field mice.

Last edited:

stillwillin

Mar 15, 2009
    Mont Co.
    Triangular head with that unusual snout.

I saw one of these riding my bike along the C&O canal and couldn't figure out exactly what it was. I've seen plenty of copperheads/rattlers and pretty sure it wasn't the real McCoy. Mystery solved.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Did you know Hognose snakes will eat Eastern Gray squirrels and mice and rats?? They also eat other snakes, including the those damn rat snakes.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Yep, cause he slithers. He's a very nice snake. He has helped turn some haters into people who are more tolerant. All of the neighborhood kids handle him regularly. Only person who has ever been bitten is me. My fault, though. I got my hand between his mouth and a mouse. Dumb.

Sounds like my ball python...hes 4 feet of harmless baby lol...except that one time...same as you, hand in the wrong place...i think almost all snake owners do that at one point in time or another...lol

We have a black snake on the easement behind our townhouse my policy is live and let live haven't had a problem with field mice yet.

Though I am fully convinced that he's eating the rabbits too.:(

Full size rabbits? Not likely...those are quite a bit larger than what a 5' rat snake could swollow. You usuqlly see rabbits being fed to 6' - 9' pythons and boas...which their heads are also quite a bit larger per length vs rat/corn snakes

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    found this lil booger in the gym when I was lining my kids up at the end of class. They thought it was neat to get an experience to see a snake up close. The next class coming in thought it was cool too and got to be there when I released it out back in a drainage area just before their warmup run.
    Cool. We have one of them, found her in the garage. Something had tried to make a meal of her just prior; she still has a kink near the end of her tail from it.
    65379_3265247849507_1618228003_n.jpg

charles h

Oct 29, 2012
    FYI its against the law to kill snakes in MD , its under the law you cant kill any non game animals

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    So if i catch one i can't keep it as a pet without permission from DNR! :mad54: That kind of sucks.

If you read the link, you can keep one eastern hognose without a permit as they are on list "B". You can keep up to 4 of any critter on list "A" without any permits.

FWIW they get used to people pretty quick and won't display as pets.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Did you know Hognose snakes will eat Eastern Gray squirrels and mice and rats?? They also eat other snakes, including the those damn rat snakes.

Um, no squirrels. A huge hognose would be 30". They eat mostly amphibians like toads and frogs. Almost any snake will eat another snake if given the opportunity.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County

I didn't know they ate squirrels, that's awesome.

I used to have a next door neighbor that would kill any snake he ever found on his property; he'd go cut in in half with an axe or hoe. I never understood that, I guess he was afraid of them.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    I hate snakes, however think they are good for the environment. Near my house no good and will be delt with, in the woods see it I'll stay away. if it presents itself I will use snake shot no questions about it. I need to buy a box but I'm trying to decide between 9mm and 45. I usually carry the 9mm but haven't found snake shot ammo yet. I use to sell it freaking kmart in the day but can't find it. I have only found .22, .45, .357 either in shops or gun shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom