• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Awesome!!! Can't wait for mine now! Great buy for the money. Congrats, Machodoc!

ETA: just checked my CC account and they charged me! Mine should be here soon. Hope it's as nice as Machodocs!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    THE STAR B IS HERE!

And I've got to say that, after a quick glance while taking photos, I'm really pleased with it!! Quick summary, so we can get to the pics:

I think it's a 1947, but I'll have to verify that. My memory for all the marks isn't that great.

For its age, I'd agree that this is an "excellent" gun. It's far better than the photo they used to advertise them.

Came with 2 mags (appear to be original Star mags), cleaning rod, gun lock, and packed VERY well in egg crate foam padding.

Import stamp is not at all bad!! These are the best CAI stamps I've seen on new imports in the last year or two.

Finish appears to be original. I though that it was too nice not to be a refurb, but stamps are far too crisp.

It does NOT seem to be a Russian capture/refurb.

The only hesitation that I've got, pre-test-firing, is that the heel stamp "B" seems to be an over-stamp. I'll have to check that more. At first, I thought it was a B overstamp on an A frame, but the heel doesn't have the typical grind-down marks that you find on those. It's a good, sharp, heel edge. The over-stamp must be something else, but I don't recognize it.

No Guardia Civil or other nationality marks that I've found yet.

I LIKE IT!!

Looks great! Now I'm excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    THE STAR B IS HERE!

And I've got to say that, after a quick glance while taking photos, I'm really pleased with it!! Quick summary, so we can get to the pics:

I think it's a 1947, but I'll have to verify that. My memory for all the marks isn't that great. [EDIT ... it's 1945]

For its age, I'd agree that this is an "excellent" gun. It's far better than the photo they used to advertise them.

Came with 2 mags (appear to be original Star mags), cleaning rod, gun lock, and packed VERY well in egg crate foam padding.

Import stamp is not at all bad!! These are the best CAI stamps I've seen on new imports in the last year or two.

Finish appears to be original. I thought that it was too nice not to be a refurb, but stamps are far too crisp.

It does NOT seem to be a Russian capture/refurb. If it is, the usual "plum color" has been polished off the extractor. Pretty sure this one's original, though.

The only hesitation that I've got, pre-test-firing, is that the heel stamp "B" seems to be an over-stamp. I'll have to check that more. At first, I thought it was a B overstamp on an A frame, but the heel doesn't have the typical grind-down marks that you find on those. It's a good, sharp, heel edge. The over-stamp must be something else, but I don't recognize it.

I LIKE IT!!

Very nice! where ya get it??

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Century ... we've been discussing these for a few days on the In Stock Now thread.

My skimming skills need work :sad20:. I seen them at SOG but it says needs FFL, it doesnt say C&R. so i guess due to the years Century was selling as C&R? I was having problems with Centurys FFL upload and i tried to attach it, then one person pushed me off on another etc to the point i gave up.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Wow! Looks pretty good! Looks like there's still some cosmo on it. I'm I wrong?

Glad to see it came with two mags. When I talked to Steve S, he wasn't sure if it would ship with one or two mags.

Mines not scheduled for delivery until Monday. :envy:

OCJ, Lou has some non-C&R Star Bs that are beautiful.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Wow! Looks pretty good! Looks like there's still some cosmo on it. I'm I wrong?

Glad to see it came with two mags. When I talked to Steve S, he wasn't sure if it would ship with one or two mags.

Mines not scheduled for delivery until Monday. :envy:

OCJ, Lou has some non-C&R Star Bs that are beautiful.

No HQL here. Only C&R stuff from now on.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I know this is a little off topic, but I don't plan to get an HQL because I don't feel like giving the state money to violate my constitutional rights and there are plenty of old pistols that will satisfy my needs. Plus, I already have a Glock 23 and a Beretta in 380 ACP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. That's why I don't have one of Lou's here now.

Plenty of cool C&R stuff out. screw MD

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    THE STAR B IS HERE!

I think it's a 1947, but I'll have to verify that. My memory for all the marks isn't that great. [EDIT ... it's 1945]

Finish appears to be original. I thought that it was too nice not to be a refurb, but stamps are far too crisp.

It does NOT seem to be a Russian capture/refurb. If it is, the usual "plum color" has been polished off the extractor. Pretty sure this one's original, though.

I LIKE IT!!

Mine shipped out this morning. Can't wait to get it! I sure hope mine is as nice as yours!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Hmmm ... just got fooling around on photoshop to see what the odd mark on the heel of my new Star B looks like, and it is sure starting to look like an A that was over-struck with a B, and with some sort of line off to the left center. If it shoots OK, I'm fine with that ... but some of the conversions didn't feed very well.

Also, I'm not sure that the letter "A" was that much smaller than the stamper "B" on the later guns. I can't find a photo of one, so this is a bit puzzling.

Attachments

• B_over_A.jpg
      B_over_A.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 312
    • B_over_A_mod.jpg
      B_over_A_mod.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 293
    Jul 1, 2012
    Machodoc - the "P" date code is for 1945 which agrees with the S/N. The S/N is indeed squarely in a block of Model A's and not a Model B. The original finish would be a high-polish blue. This was probably re-done when it was converted to a B by the factory. I think all they did was change the barrel and extractor. I'll have to check but the 9mm Largo and 9mm P mags may be the same.
    <ok - they appear to be same, interchange with one another, feed lips look ever so slightly different but that could be age>

Also, my '52 Model A has a small font "A" like yours... it's factory-fresh with a dark black, smooth finish. Not quite shiny. My '45 B's have a more traditional pre-war blued look.

But after all the hand-wringing while waiting, it looks like this one worked out pretty good. Thankfully not a hateful import mark!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Machodoc - the "P" date code is for 1945 which agrees with the S/N. The S/N is indeed squarely in a block of Model A's and not a Model B. The original finish would be a high-polish blue. This was probably re-done when it was converted to a B by the factory. I think all they did was change the barrel and extractor. I'll have to check but the 9mm Largo and 9mm P mags may be the same.
    <ok - they appear to be same, interchange with one another, feed lips look ever so slightly different but that could be age>

Also, my '52 Model A has a small font "A" like yours... it's factory-fresh with a dark black, smooth finish. Not quite shiny. My '45 B's have a more traditional pre-war blued look.

But after all the hand-wringing while waiting, it looks like this one worked out pretty good. Thankfully not a hateful import mark!

Thanks! I can't find my list of serial numbers for Stars, nor can I find one online. Have you got one that you could post or shoot my way via PM?

I suspected that this would be the case. Wish that it wasn't, but if it feeds OK, I'm good with it.

I pulled out my other Star "B" that was an A converted to B ... and the two serial numbers are really close. That other one had the A ground off the heel before the B was stamped on, and it still has traces of a Guardia Civil cartouche that's over-stamped with a South African Defense Forces cartouche. It's also in a traditional blued finish.

I remember that there was a batch of Stars that were headed for Germany during the last days of the war, but were stopped on the French border. These, if I recall correctly, were in the next batch. Most of them were upgraded to Bs and went to the Guardia Civil. There might be a trace of a cartouche on the right side of this one, but I'll need to find my jeweler's loupe to make it out ... if I even can with that.

These guns

Jul 1, 2012
    The ones in the last shipment going to Germany were put in storage and ultimately sold to West German police for the most part. They were all Model B's in 9mm P. They would have been slightly ahead of your S/N:

Army(7/14/44) 256251-258000; 260001-260250 * UNDELIVERED, no Waffenamt

The S/N list I'm going off of is the big table(s) in Antaris' "Star Firearms" book. It's too big for the scanner and I don't want to break the spine anyway ;-)

As people get theirs in I'll be happy to look them up. A quick key to the letter date codes can be found at that Star website from earlier in the thread...

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/proof.shtml

Some of the gouge on the Star B is inaccurate, esp the German WWII info. The genuine, unmolested Star B's that were actually accepted by Germany did NOT have the last 3 digits of S/N on all parts. That was a later requirement for the West German contract, and included 2 numbered mags. WWII Geramn Star B's did not have numbered mags. Determining if it's a WWII German B is easy, by the S/N. Same with the Bulgarian contract (typically used to "fake" the German guns) but I didn't type out the S/Ns for the Bulgarian. Here's the German S/N range. Maybe somebody will get lucky!

Berlin Commercial(12/7/43) 235801-235900 (no Waffenamt)
    Dornheim AG Commerical(6/3/44) 254301-254550 (no Waffenamt)

German Military shipments:
    Army(5/15/42) 210951-212950 (no Waffenamt)
    Army(5/29/42) 212951-214950 (no Waffenamt)
    Army(7/26/43) 214953-216200; 216251-217502; 222457-222675; 222701-222750; 223776-225006 (intermittent E/WaA251)
    Army(5/29/44) 244503-247002 (E/WaAD20)
    Army(6/14/44) 248001-254300; 254551-256250 (E/WaAD20)

Army(7/14/44) 256251-258000; 260001-260250 * UNDELIVERED, no Waffenamt

Navy(7/26/43) 217503-218042; 218044-218048; 218050-218213; 218125-219400; 219501-219950; 220026-220942; 220994-221200; 221976-222456 (intermittent E/WaA251
    Navy(replacement) 225849 (?)
    Navy(5/29/44) 242003-244502 (E/WaAD20)

oh yeah, one more thing. The B's with Waffenamt (WaA251 or WaAD20) command a real premium so be careful. It's weird that guns without the WaA sell for maybe 50-60% of the ones with WaA markings in the same condition. Still about double to triple what a "standard" B goes for though (assuming no import marks, original parts & finish)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom