• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    You know, after the dissatisfaction of this dealing, I think you owe yourself another purchase so your last acquisition before an upcoming hiatus isn't an unsatisfactory one. Obviously, one can rationalize toward the opposite conclusion, but going out with a bang seems more in tune with the MDS gestalt vs attempting to get some admission of culpability from stopsign32v/Kevin in this buying season's final episode.

I agree, I have a few things for sale buy one of them i needz the money :D

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Per SOG: Pre-orders will receive new/unissued Maks—"the cream of the crop".

Good news. I think for pre-orders, given the lack of handpick option, and how they advertised them ... this was the honorable route to proceed.

That's good to hear. If schedules work out satisfactorily, I should know today ... or maybe tomorrow ... if that's the case.

Okay guys, who's got one of the Bulgarian Maks in their hands already? SOG still shows that my preorder is pending shipment.

I'm getting antsy.

I finally couldn't resist ... and probably did something stupid ... I ordered today from Classic instead (I've recently purchased pistols from SOG, Classic, AIM, etc - and not received something that didn't match the description). I realize that Classic isn't advertising the log book in their package - but I paid for a handpick and artfully asked for one in pristine condition. :D

We'll see how it works. They already sent shipping info. Possibly at my FFL by Friday. At least we'll be able to compare SOG and Classic offerings from this new batch ...

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Good news. I think for pre-orders, given the lack of handpick option, and how they advertised them ... this was the honorable route to proceed.

I finally couldn't resist ... and probably did something stupid ... I ordered today from Classic instead (I've recently purchased pistols from SOG, Classic, AIM, etc - and not received something that didn't match the description). I realize that Classic isn't advertising the log book in their package - but I paid for a handpick and artfully asked for one in pristine condition. :D

We'll see how it works. They already sent shipping info. Possibly at my FFL by Friday. At least we'll be able to compare SOG and Classic offerings from this new batch ...

Hmmm......Good luck with that :)

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Seriously, I'm not completely butt hurt over this because it wasn't a ton of money, but look at this guy's excuse: "I put it in my safe in 2014 and haven't looked at it since. I own a lot of firearms and can't remember each one." What a douche. He offered me $13 to buy a new hand guard for a M28. Find me a matching hand guard for $13.
    4542343439787f96c18c0751a8a977a3.jpg

I think you need to out this guy on the gunboards "don't do business with" forum.

That's just ridiculous. That's a massive complete crack. He knew when he was packing that how bad it was and was just hoping you wouldn't make a fuss.

I would be posting pics along with his description, and his jerk-ass message he sent you telling you to grow up.

That's not some tiny hairline crack. How ridiculous.

And where can you get a M28 handguard for 13 bucks? LOL @ that

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    You know, after the dissatisfaction of this dealing, I think you owe yourself another purchase so your last acquisition before an upcoming hiatus isn't an unsatisfactory one. Obviously, one can rationalize toward the opposite conclusion, but going out with a bang seems more in tune with the MDS gestalt vs attempting to get some admission of culpability from stopsign32v/Kevin in this buying season's final episode.

A solid proposition but I must decline. Enablers.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I think you need to out this guy on the gunboards "don't do business with" forum.

That's just ridiculous. That's a massive complete crack. He knew when he was packing that how bad it was and was just hoping you wouldn't make a fuss.

I would be posting pics along with his description, and his jerk-ass message he sent you telling you to grow up.

That's not some tiny hairline crack. How ridiculous.

And where can you get a M28 handguard for 13 bucks? LOL @ that

Right? A matching hand guard for $13. Douche. His prior message to me, when I asked about the crack: "it isn't terrible but it's there. It is stable and doesn't get effected by shooting. ... I didn't know it was there."

I blame myself and take responsibility because I've been doing this long enough to know that I should've asked for a picture. I have a friend who has done a lot of trades with the guy and backed him 100% so I just went with it. I won't make that mistake again. BUT ... First, it is terrible. Second, it's not even close to stable. It moves with finger pressure. Third, he didn't know it was there? He removed the action from the wood to check on a date and noticed black grease, pine needles and sand but he didn't notice that split in the hand guard? Ookay.

05f68515353369c8d3252510b157dfd1.jpg

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Okay guys, who's got one of the Bulgarian Maks in their hands already? SOG still shows that my preorder is pending shipment.

I'm getting antsy.

Ours came in today but the FFL closed early. I should get it tomorrow and will post pics.

Mine hit my FFL yesterday, but I went through a guy who works out of his home. Haven't heard from him yet about when a good time would be to pick it up.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I can't keep something like that. I shipped that sanded walnut K31 back. Guy offered me some money back but I would have never been happy w/ it. Happy to eat return shipping as my lesson.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I can't keep something like that. I shipped that sanded walnut K31 back. Guy offered me some money back but I would have never been happy w/ it. Happy to eat return shipping as my lesson.

If he hadn't disclosed the crack's existence to me before I claimed it, it would be on its way back right now. It's my fault for failing to ask for a picture. I trusted my friend and this guy's purported status. Lesson learned. My beef is that he's just a dishonest guy; he knew what he was doing. He needed money and needed to sell that one. He can find pine needles under the wood but didn't notice a 2" crack on top of the hand guard. Stop digging the hole, dude. Just own up to it.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The guy's excuses are so bad that they are insulting. Thanks for tipping us off about him.

The great thing about dealing with morons is that they tend to dig their own graves.

Notice that he stated in his message that he hadn't looked at the rifle since 2014 and only noticed the crack when he was boxing it up to ship. Yet, in his post in his listing from 9/16/15, he said that he took the action out of the stock to check for a date and noticed pine needles and sand. You have to take the hand guard off to remove the action from the barrel . . . So, he just noticed the crack when he was boxing it?

In a prior message he said that the same thing - that he noticed it after the first guy claimed it (the guy welched - now I know why) on 9/16, yet he took it apart and responded to about the barrel date before that guy claimed it, so, again, doesn't add up. He claims that he sent that guy a PM about the crack but his inbox was full, so he then responded to my inquiry. What's funny is that his first 4 responses to me (asking about availability and other issues) never mentioned the crack. He mentioned that in about our 6th PM when I asked him about the bore. So, let me axe you something. If you, a collector who knows these rifles, found a major crack and notified your other buyer, wouldn't that be basically the very first thing you'd disclose to the second potential buyer?

It's my fault - I readily admit that. I should've asked for a picture and I didn't. But, when a person, especially a collector who understands the importance of things, sells something, there is a way to be a decent human and there's a way to be a dirtbag. Here's the thing - if you are open and honest, you will have happy customers. That's why Larry Eisel and Dennis Kroh are so successful.

I love this - his offer to give me $13. I'm supposed to separate a matching hand guard from the rifle, ship it back to him, he will send me $13, and the I should use that $13 plus the $15 discount he already gave me to buy a $28 hand guard from Liberty Tree. Only problem is that Liberty Tree doesn't have hand guards for the M28 - those only fit the M28/30.

And for the record, I never called him a liar or "cursed" him. I simply noted that Helen Keller could see that it's a terrible, unstable crack; and after he responded with "I don't appreciate being called a liar", I simply stated that his claim was "bullsh*t".

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I'm getting antsy.

I just came from the FFL where mine's cooling its heels for the next week. Definitely unissued (still covered in cosmo) and pretty, with its red star grips. Even the import nomenclature's been done nicely (small clear fonts).

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I just came from the FFL where mine's cooling its heels for the next week. Definitely unissued (still covered in cosmo) and pretty, with its red star grips. Even the import nomenclature's been done nicely (small clear fonts).

Glad to hear that! I found out this morning that my FFL has been out of town for a couple of days and is supposed to be home sometime tonight. He said that a neighbor signed for mine. Hopefully, I'll get it tomorrow, and it will be as nice!

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    Picked up my SOG Mak today and it is beautiful! Covered in cosmo but definitely unissued and it came with the neat logbook and holster. I will clean it up this weekend and post pics!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Picked up my SOG Mak today and it is beautiful! Covered in cosmo but definitely unissued and it came with the neat logbook and holster. I will clean it up this weekend and post pics!

OK ... looks like it's up to me to be The Cool Kid who is the first on the block to show off his new acquisition. Got mine this morning. Really no time to take good photos, so these have to be quick and dirty. Lighting isn't great, and the fairly thick coat of dried cosmoline makes the finish look crusty--but should clean up to look excellent!

Mine also came in a recycled Amazon box, but there was plenty of blank newsprint paper to pad it.

Probably the least offensive engraving of an import mark that I've seen. I only wish they hadn't had to put a second serial number on mine. Not a big deal, but wish it hadn't been added.

Mag has an EP number on it that doesn't match, but the rest of the gun matches, from what's visible.

Trigger pull in SA is sweeeeeeeeet!

Attachments

• A_Book.jpg
      A_Book.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 169
    • A_Group.jpg
      A_Group.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 167
    • A_Left.jpg
      A_Left.jpg
      120.7 KB · Views: 158
    • A_Right.jpg
      A_Right.jpg
      104.6 KB · Views: 163

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    OK ... looks like it's up to me to be The Cool Kid who is the first on the block to show off his new acquisition. Got mine this morning.

I agree with your review. These Maks're a peach.
    But how were you able to take possession so soon? Are you not in Maryland? If you are, how'd you bypass the seven-day wait??

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    4:59.. Swede Is here.. Looks great! Looks as though the bore could use a cleaning but might be just grease?

Still waiting on fedex as the Brazilian is also due in today..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom