• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • azuluza

May 14, 2013
    So after talking to all my gun enthusiast friends , from serious competitors to casual shooters I decided to purchase the Stag Arms Model 3 556. Got it on GB for 650$ after shipping and tax$ came out to 715$ . I dont plan on making any huge upgrades on it (yet) I will see how I like it and if I should change anything but so far just looking for a red dot/eotech (still not sure). The other thing that brought me to STAG ARMS was the lifetime warranty.Just wanted to know if anyone here has one? or any upgrades, links to sites they recommend?

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Good pick! If you like tinkering it's basically "Barbie for Men".

For red dot, try Aimpoint Pro. Good value!

Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    Congrats, AR 15 is like a " House Hold Item Now " lol everyone has one !!!! or 2 or 3 or 4 ............

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Congratulations on fulfilling your patriotic duty
    usaflag.gif

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Probably he most important initial upgrade you can make, is to have a nice 4.5 - 6lb trigger kit installed. Either yourself, ( not that difficult, takes only 1 punch, and it can be a delrin push pin for $6 to do ) or by an armorer or gunsmith. You can also watch free videos either on Midway USA video library, or Brownell's video library, as they have a short video, for free, on how to change or upgrade every single part on your AR.

The standard mil-spec trigger on most (75-85%) of entry to low mid-level rifles have a 8-9lb, gritty, nasty, standard mil-spec trigger system. There are many to choose from, but, I would recommend a AGL Combat trigger. It is still mil-spec reliable and interchangeable within the US military, so it is rugged and dependable, but has a Teflon-nickel boron coating that makes it smooth and crisp. With a stated pull of 6lbs, but usually ends up at about 5.5 after breaking in a bit.

This maintains a nice pull weight, allowing accurate shooting and good trigger control, while keeping the dependability and reliability of full power springs and mil-spec parts. Later, if you tend to specialize in say, 3 gun, or bench rest or just want a lighter trigger, you can spend more money if you want on a Giselle, Gold, CMC, JP, Jard or many others to choose from. But it is not necessary at first. But a good, crisp, reliable trigger is very important to gain accurate shooting skills to start.

But initially, this is the best $65 you can invest in. Then you can upgrade every single part on your new rifle if you choose to. A good stock with a better cheek weld, Optics- Red Dot ( Viper Vortex, Sparc, Bushnell TR, Eotech, Aimpoint Pro, Pride Fowler, Primary Arms, and many, many other to choose from. Scopes, short-midrange ( 1-4x, 1.5 - 6, 2x8 ) to long range ( 3-9, 4-16, 6.5 -20, etc ), but learning on iron sights is good to start with, as in a emergency, you will need to fall back on these, so its good to learn to start with.

Then there will be a few hundred guys on here willing to help and give suggestions on any and everything you can think of. :-)

So, congradulations, have fun, BE SAFE and happy shooting.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Now that you have ONE :-), you can always change uppers, for : different calibers, .22lr, 5.45 x 39 ( cheaper ammo ), .204 -varmint, 6.8, etc, etc, BUT, after putting a few hundred rounds down the tube,if you like it, you may consider getting at least 1 other stripped lower for later.

Dichotmist

Dec 17, 2012
    California, MD
    Congrats on your first AR purchase and welcome to the club!!

Congratulations! You will find plenty to outfit it with. I've used Brownell's, Cheaper than Dirt, Sportsman's Guide for most of my add-on's.

REALLY???

We as a group need to quit promoting the supreme gouging companies. They had 375 rounds of CCI Standard 22's for sale the other day for $149.99. Makes me cringe when I see their name...

JackinSoMd

Feb 16, 2013
    Dentsville
    Congrats on your first AR purchase and welcome to the club!!

REALLY???

We as a group need to quit promoting the supreme gouging companies. They had 375 rounds of CCI Standard 22's for sale the other day for $149.99. Makes me cringe when I see their name...

I don't know . I've purchased a few things from Cheaper than Dirt and they were the lowest or very close to the lowest price on those items . I don't think all these companies can't have the best price on every item . For me as long as they have some things I want at solid pricing they will get some of my business . I don't expect one company to be the lowest on everything . Do you really consider Cheaper than Dirt a total gouge company ? Esp regarding Ammo in these trying times . I hadn't felt that way but I tend to give the benefit of the doubt . Maybe I'm being naïve .

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have a red dot sight made by tru glow that i will sell you for $40, it isn't the best made sight but it can get you started. if you rifle has the handle I have 2 different styles of scope mounts that I will sell to you $10 for normal scope mount and $15 for a "z" style that puts the scope in front of the handle.
    I am in laplata

As for cheaper then dirt, if you look at the prices they seam cheep but once you add in the shipping and handling you will quickly see where they make up the money, the gouge on shipping and the kicker is that you may have to pay shipping from several different warehouses on the same order.

azuluza

May 14, 2013
    Probably he most important initial upgrade you can make, is to have a nice 4.5 - 6lb trigger kit installed. Either yourself, ( not that difficult, takes only 1 punch, and it can be a delrin push pin for $6 to do ) or by an armorer or gunsmith. You can also watch free videos either on Midway USA video library, or Brownell's video library, as they have a short video, for free, on how to change or upgrade every single part on your AR.

The standard mil-spec trigger on most (75-85%) of entry to low mid-level rifles have a 8-9lb, gritty, nasty, standard mil-spec trigger system. There are many to choose from, but, I would recommend a AGL Combat trigger. It is still mil-spec reliable and interchangeable within the US military, so it is rugged and dependable, but has a Teflon-nickel boron coating that makes it smooth and crisp. With a stated pull of 6lbs, but usually ends up at about 5.5 after breaking in a bit.

This maintains a nice pull weight, allowing accurate shooting and good trigger control, while keeping the dependability and reliability of full power springs and mil-spec parts. Later, if you tend to specialize in say, 3 gun, or bench rest or just want a lighter trigger, you can spend more money if you want on a Giselle, Gold, CMC, JP, Jard or many others to choose from. But it is not necessary at first. But a good, crisp, reliable trigger is very important to gain accurate shooting skills to start.

But initially, this is the best $65 you can invest in. Then you can upgrade every single part on your new rifle if you choose to. A good stock with a better cheek weld, Optics- Red Dot ( Viper Vortex, Sparc, Bushnell TR, Eotech, Aimpoint Pro, Pride Fowler, Primary Arms, and many, many other to choose from. Scopes, short-midrange ( 1-4x, 1.5 - 6, 2x8 ) to long range ( 3-9, 4-16, 6.5 -20, etc ), but learning on iron sights is good to start with, as in a emergency, you will need to fall back on these, so its good to learn to start with.

Then there will be a few hundred guys on here willing to help and give suggestions on any and everything you can think of. :-)

So, congradulations, have fun, BE SAFE and happy shooting.

Thanks man great info

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom