• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i've been talking about buying a "real" gun cabinet/safe for years and been looking for the last few weeks. After working some overtime for a few weeks i decided today was the day.

Ended up spending twice my original price, but thats usually how i go:party29: want what i want!

ended up buying a Liberty Timber Ridge, black chrome hardware/gray marble gloss finish(had to order:facepalm:) but pretty excited to pick it up in a few weeks!!

i know i'm going to order the power kit to it since it isnt standard, but if anyone knows i wanna upgrade to a digital keypad and wonder if i can install it myself? i've also been looking at other accesories.

anyone got tips on accesories or even better pictures of your safe mods?

john

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    i've been talking about buying a "real" gun cabinet/safe for years and been looking for the last few weeks. After working some overtime for a few weeks i decided today was the day.

Ended up spending twice my original price, but thats usually how i go:party29: want what i want!

ended up buying a Liberty Timber Ridge, black chrome hardware/gray marble gloss finish(had to order:facepalm:) but pretty excited to pick it up in a few weeks!!

i know i'm going to order the power kit to it since it isnt standard, but if anyone knows i wanna upgrade to a digital keypad and wonder if i can install it myself? i've also been looking at other accesories.

anyone got tips on accesories or even better pictures of your safe mods?

john

Congrats on the purchase. I love my safe, but I have been a lock geek for a long time and bought my first safe at 15 years old.

In terms of replacing the dial lock with an electronic one please understand that I am not a locksmith (not even close actually), but it is almost certain that you can do it yourself. The lock is generally self contained and can relatively easily be removed and replaced. I did need to grind one of my plates down so it would fit the new lock and still function.

The most important thing is to make sure you don't lock yourself out - so don't close the door until you are sure the new lock is working correctly. If you do lock yourself out, it will generally take time, money and an expert to get you back in. In addition, the expert will likely also damage the safe in doing so. So it is better to err on the side of caution leaving the door open for sometime while locking and unlocking it to make sure you got it right.

Most safes have something called relockers that are designed to lock the door if they are disturbed. Once a relocker is fired, if the door is closed, it will probably require an expert to get you back in. As long as the door is open, resetting a relocker is normally quite easy. I say this because in order to get my dial lock out, I needed to remove one of my relockers. If I didn't install it properly than I would have locked myself out of my safe. The more expensive the safe, generally the more numerous and sophisticated the relockers.

My suggestion is to call Liberty and see if someone will describe the relockers in place on your safe that are likely to need to be removed to replace the lock. If there are none, then the job will probably be simple. If there are multiple, then the job will be more complex.

Good luck.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i can find a pic online of the model i bought but i won't have it in person for 3-4 weeks :-)

@abeaty, thank you for your knowledge, i didnt know there even was something as lockaphilia! haha, i know the safe has atleast one relocker, but i will deffinatlly get in contact with liberty before i do anything

@atlasarmory yes i went with a larger safe and a better brand. i was originally looking at stack-on elite series.... but they aparentlly they have basiclly no options plus the just do not compare to liberty

plus my girlfriend actually talked me into buying this one, i basiclly decided on a centurion by liberty and she came out with the whole whats 400 more dollars to get the one you want, LOVE her hahaha

john

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Congrats! Should last more than a lifetime.

Does it look anything like this?

58.jpg

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I've been looking at getting a new safe for a while. I checked out some from Heritage and they seem nice with upgrades from last years models, I'll look more into the Liberty lineup.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i've been trying to reading about the timber ridge series of liberty safes, but its not on there website..... at all??

so i did a search and found some guy complaining about liberty selling the "timber ridge by liberty" saying it has a lower fire rating(30 instead of 45) and no top bolt and some crap.

BUT this is a "Liberty Timber Ridge" not "Timber Ridge by Liberty" plus it has a top bolt and 45 min @ 1200*[80,000 BTUs]

oh well, i'm still pleased and going to get real antsy waiting for the call saying mine is in!

john

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Check into handgun hangers they look cool and help minimize shelf storage. A guy on Youtube has a good DIY for making something similar to the handgun hanger rack, his title is FUBARPROTOCOL. I love my Liberty, it's my second one, sold the first with my last house.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    My question too. I got my Liberty safe with the dial. It will open every time. :thumbsup:

I found that any dial lock I had was equivalent to fort knox to my wife. It was literally something that she just couldn't open under any circumstances.

It was either electronic or not store anything that my wife might need in the safe.

I have to admit that I love the electronic lock - it is much easier to open.

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    i understand the KISS aspect of a mechanical lock, but at the same time im pretty sure the electronic ones are safe and reliable enough. on that note, i will of course not keep ALL my "eggs" in the same nealy impossible to break into basket

john

elitehome

Aug 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky
    Most electronic safes always have a back.. i.e my patriot safe has a 2 key override that if for some reason the digital goes bad you can still enter.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Check into handgun hangers they look cool and help minimize shelf storage. A guy on Youtube has a good DIY for making something similar to the handgun hanger rack, his title is FUBARPROTOCOL. I love my Liberty, it's my second one, sold the first with my last house.

The handgun hangars are cool and work well, if you have a deep shelf up top. My safe is an older model that has a 9 inch shelf. The hangers needed a 12" shelf (I bought them on EBay and it wasn't specified. I remedied the issue with a 3 inch piece of plywood attached to the rear of the shelf to extend it to 12 inches.

Also, think about a dehumidifier. I bought a small unit that plugs into the outlet to the rear of the safe; cost about $25 at Bass Pro

Lighting?? I used a cheap LED light that has velcro on it to hang it from the carpet on the ceiling of the safe. Use rechargeable batteries and once a month I recharge them. Have a remote that sticks to the interior of the door on the carpet as well. Works great; about $10 at Walmart.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom