• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Mailed my forms in on Saturday. One copy to the ATF the other to my CLEO. How long shuld I expect to wait to hear whether or not I'm approved?

On a more bank account emptying note are there any recommendations on places to find C&R firearms?

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    good luck! someday i'll have one, but it seems like it has a few drawbacks for now

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    The only "downside" I can see, is that it will empty your bank account faster than a snowball melting in h***. My cc was charged a month ago, and still nothing.

jthoma24

Jul 25, 2012
    Arnold, MD
    The only "downside" I can see, is that it will empty your bank account faster than a snowball melting in h***. My cc was charged a month ago, and still nothing.

Same here. I am 4 weeks in and still waiting. I heard it takes about 60 days but who knows.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Same here. I am 4 weeks in and still waiting. I heard it takes about 60 days but who knows.

My check was cashed in Mid-March and I have not heard anything yet. :sad20:

The only "drawback" I'm aware of is that the ATF can audit your bound book. From what I understand, this is very rare. Well worth the hassle for having C&R firearms shipped right to your door if you ask me.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Ok so the biggest draw back I'm seeing, besides the empty bank account, is the wait time equivalent to the MSP wait time. Ya'll had me scared there for a minute.

good luck! someday i'll have one, but it seems like it has a few drawbacks for now

Leaving a statement like this without explanation is the forum equivalent of a drive by shooting.

As someone who has an application in hand and is preparing to fill it out I would appreciate it if you would take the time to elaborate on what you meant by "drawbacks".

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I called the ATF and my license has been issued!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should receive in the mail in 5-7 days (I guess they're using the pony express but whatever). :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011

Are you worried about the possibility of a compliance audit? Well that's easy. Just follow the rules and keep your book in order, and will you will not have problems.

Jul 1, 2012
    And make sure your book is in the right format :)
    Don't be a dummy like me when I started out and figure it's ok to put all the required info for one firearm on one page (so you can take notes about each one). Use the ATF form (ATF-F-5300-5) or an adaptation thereof with one firearm per line... 3-ring binder is ok so you don't have to go and buy a special book. It doesn't have to be submitted, only available for inspection.

I'm not sure if the rare inspection includes verifying against the actual firearm(s) or just making sure the book is in order, maybe somebody else that's been through it can chime in. It is optional to do it at ATF office or at home so implies it's just a book inspection. I'm sure they don't want somebody showing up at the office with 50 guns in their van.

Drawback - drained bank account, maxed out credit cards, + more & bigger safes! And kicking yourself repeatedly for not getting it sooner.

Where - really depends what you're looking for. For more esoteric firearms join up with Gun Broker and Auction Arms (or any of the other myriad sites), but make sure a seller will ship to C&R in MD. Some don't even know what it is, some won't ship to C&R period, some avoid MD like we were CA. Wait, we kinda are....

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    The only drawback I can think of is cosmoline removal...blah I hate that stuff.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The only drawback I can think of is cosmoline removal...blah I hate that stuff.

That's one; then there's
    --every caliber of handgun incl .45 ACP relatively cheap delivered to my door or cash n carry a few miles away
    --dozens of milsurps ordered online for home delivery
    --not to mention all the shotguns and rifles (rim fire & center fire) delivered right to my door

There's so many drawbacks that I haven't bought a modern firearm in MD since getting my C&R.....

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    That's one; then there's
    --every caliber of handgun incl .45 ACP relatively cheap delivered to my door or cash n carry a few miles away
    --dozens of milsurps ordered online for home delivery
    --not to mention all the shotguns and rifles (rim fire & center fire) delivered right to my door

There's so many drawbacks that I haven't bought a modern firearm in MD since getting my C&R.....

I have the app filled out and ready to send in, but now having second thoughts. :lol2:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    And make sure your book is in the right format :)
    Don't be a dummy like me when I started out and figure it's ok to put all the required info for one firearm on one page (so you can take notes about each one). Use the ATF form (ATF-F-5300-5) or an adaptation thereof with one firearm per line... 3-ring binder is ok so you don't have to go and buy a special book. It doesn't have to be submitted, only available for inspection.

I'm not sure if the rare inspection includes verifying against the actual firearm(s) or just making sure the book is in order, maybe somebody else that's been through it can chime in. It is optional to do it at ATF office or at home so implies it's just a book inspection. I'm sure they don't want somebody showing up at the office with 50 guns in their van.

Drawback - drained bank account, maxed out credit cards, + more & bigger safes! And kicking yourself repeatedly for not getting it sooner.

Where - really depends what you're looking for. For more esoteric firearms join up with Gun Broker and Auction Arms (or any of the other myriad sites), but make sure a seller will ship to C&R in MD. Some don't even know what it is, some won't ship to C&R period, some avoid MD like we were CA. Wait, we kinda are....

they only look at your book.

it would be pointless to look at the guns, it would take much more time, some people have hundreds or even thousands of guns, it could take days to check it all if they did, and collectors are essentially volunteering information anyway, if someone were trying to hide guns they used the license to buy, there is nothing the ATF agent could do to discover that anyway, short of searching your property, which of course they cant do.

so its really not about catching you secretly sending guns to eric holder so he can send them to the cartel, its more about just in general making sure you're keeping your records properly.

thats why its so rare, theres not much point, and ATF agents have even said themselves, that C&R holders rarely cause trouble so they're really not worried about us much.

people who want to commit gun crimes dont tend to apply for licenses and keep records apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom