• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Dug this old friend out of the closet. My great uncle brought it back from the Pacific. I cleaned it up a bit, and would LOVE to shoot it. But i dont know how to judge if something is 'shootable'. Is this also referred to as an "Arisaka"? Ive heard then called Arisaka Type 38 and Jap Type 38. Years ago i took it to a gun store but they told me 3 different options as to what caliber it could be and i left confused. I figured id post pics, and ask the experts! Youll see the rifle, and the bayonet that came back with it. What is that paint, and stamp type thing on reverse sides of the stock? Also, under that is a bayonet i was given by a relative also in the pacific, but im unsure what it is. Springfield 03 maybe?

DSC01099.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01102.jpg

DSC01103.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01105.jpg

DSC01106.jpg

DSC01107.jpg

DSC01108.jpg

***this bayonet, is NOT the one pictured in the scabbard, im not sure what it is. the bayonet with the rifle came with the rifle, this second one was a gift from a different guy in the pacific. im guessing just another jap rifle bayonet.

DSC01109.jpg

DSC01110.jpg

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    That is TOO cool. I don't know the first thing about WWII Jap guns (or any kind of Jap gun for that matter), so I can't help at all. But that gun is just awesome. :)

Thanks for sharing.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Years ago i took it to a gun store but they told me 3 different options as to what caliber it could be and i left confused. I figured id post pics, and ask the experts!

Should be 6.5x50 Jap. - unless someone Bubba'd it.
    Since ammo was not readily available after WW2, some were rechambered to .257 Roberts (right after WW2) or 260 Rem.

There are two ways how to figure out if it has been rechambered. The correct one would be to make a cast of the chamber with either wax or cerrosafe. The other is to take a 6.5x50 round, fire it and measure what the case looks like afterwards. Since the arisaka action is one of the strongest you shouldn't damage it with that try (did read ackley,been there, done that).

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Type 38 with an early bayonet and then a late war bayonet. Should be 6.5Jap chamber unless it was redone somewhere along the way (unlikely but possible).

No reason not to shoot it so long as it's sound and the bore is clear.

Nice pieces of history!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    My dad said when his uncle brought it back, they were making all the soldiers file off alot of Jap markings. Even swords and knives. Can you imagine how many amazing treasures were screwed up? Basically this thing came off the boat, my family never shot it, it got covered in some sort of cosmoline and stuck in a sack in a closet until the 1970s when it was stuck in a new closet haha. I talked to his son and he said that his dad def brought it back and just tossed it away into the closet so it hasn't been tampered with/ converted. I hope to shoot it.

Thanks guys I'm gonna stick this in C&R and see what the spendthrift gun junkies have to say! (I'm one)

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    HomicidalNun,
    You know you have two threads going on exactly the same rifle. Why don't you ask the mods to them merged so all the responses are in the same thread and everyone can see them together! http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=70536&highlight=arisaka
    :sad20:

I know thanks. forgot to ask them to be merged. i hate multiple threads. mods could you please work your magical merge powers?

thanks for the responses, i figured the ammo would be pricey damn. :tdown:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm surprized the Mum (Chrysanthemum) is ground away for a bring back. Nice rifle lots of history. Thanks for posting

The 'Mum' had to be ground off per US regs for bring-back, although most Japs would disfigure/remove it if they felt it would be captured, a sign of respect to the emperor since it was considered HIS property.

I couldn't say if it was safe to fire, but that's a great piece of history in it's own right. :thumbsup:

6.5 Jap is still available, I believe MilitaryShooters.com stocks it, also possibly Ammunitiontogo.com.

beaglefan

Nov 29, 2008
    Essex md.
    The bayo in the last picture was made by National Denkic(National Electric).The Rifle was either Koishikawa Arsenal(Tokyo)or Kokura.I think the first one most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom