• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I got to wondering; if FOX News is the number one news channel in the country - I think I heard, beating the next three (liberal) networks combined - why is it that Democrats are doing so well in elections?!

I have a theory... And this is just a *theory* - with no research to back it up.

What if a significant enough number of people who consider themselves "conservative" and watch fox news, are too stupid and/or lazy to go out and vote? (Liberals do not have the market cornered on stupid and lazy, BTW - Although their numbers are quite impressive.)

And what if a significant enough number of the people who consider themselves "liberal" who are not too stupid and/or lazy to go out and vote, just don't bother to watch ANY friggin' news at all, and simply believe what they hear in their own inner circles of liberalism?

This could account for the ratings.

But more importantly, if this is truly the case, the only way I see us getting this state and country back on track is to just get more "informed" people to actually VOTE.

Could it really be just that simple?!

Consider this...

Instead of trying to "change people's minds", when most liberals are not (by my experience) that open-minded anyway, why not concentrate a large amount of our effort on our own people?

I like the idea (in another thread) of setting up voter registration tables at gun shops and ranges. But why stop there?! Why don't we do this in every conservative gathering spot we can think of?

I believe we have a much better chance of building our voting power by motivating our own as opposed to trying the "change minds".

We need to be convincing those around us who either think "it doesn't matter", or have just give up. THAT is where our true passion should lie.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    that is a good idea and like i said in the other thread i was told by one of the reps staff that at least 60% of the people calling and emailing were not registered to vote and i believ that was detrimental to us. i try and push as many people that i meet into voting but its hard to believe how many people, especially in construction, are not voters and just dont care to be.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I do not consider fox news conservative news, they have a conservative lean. I think one reason for their ratings is they have less shows like Hardball or Piers, they are more information oriented and less opinion oriented.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Definitely on to something.

Other factor in my opinion is all those who think its to late and we are done for.

I think that a few modest victories will help with that .

But in the end if its worth fighting for then its worth fighting for. Period.

I think the ones who gave up just are not fighters, but then will join in when it looks like we have a chance.

Some of us are johnny come latelys as well ( hint me) but we are here now and I think others will join as well ...

It is not to late ....

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    You are absolutely on to something. Senator Stone reported 50% of the people contacting him against SB281 were NOT registered voters.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    that is a good idea and like i said in the other thread i was told by one of the reps staff that at least 60% of the people calling and emailing were not registered to vote and i believ that was detrimental to us. i try and push as many people that i meet into voting but its hard to believe how many people, especially in construction, are not voters and just dont care to be.

I did not believe it when it was 40% and I believe it less now that it is 60%:)

They do not vote because they think it is a lost cause.

I have no friends that do not vote. If they do not vote they can find other friends.. It starts with that. No more tolerance .

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    You are absolutely on to something. Senator Stone reported 50% of the people contacting him against SB281 were NOT registered voters.

This why we need to get enough people trained and certified as Voter Registration Volunteers to enroll all those who aren't exercising all their rights.

The training is quick, easy and free. There isn't even a quiz at the end. Lets get this project moving!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I did not believe it when it was 40% and I believe it less now that it is 60%:)

They do not vote because they think it is a lost cause.

I have no friends that do not vote. If they do not vote they can find other friends.. It starts with that. No more tolerance .

As of November 2006, 67.6% of Americans were registeres to vote. Bluup!
    cited from: http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p20-557.pdf

its a bitch but if 67.6% are registered and what i see on the net between 40 and 70% of them vote things are bad. as for tolerance, well i have none for liberals but alas they are still there. my point was its a good idea to get as many pro constitution and pro 2nd amendment people to register and to vote so maybe, just maybe, we can turn this thing around and right the ship before she goes under.thats all. wishful thing i guess.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

EVERYBODY needs to get their lazy a$$ out to register and to vote. I'm in my 50's and have not missed a primary or general election in my entire life. Once I argued at the precinct for two hours for the county clerk's office to clear up confusion regarding my registration so I could vote.

We all may wonder if it makes a difference, and I can quote Immanuel Kant and everything (paraphrasing here: you should do things yoursself the way you want the whole world to do them), but the long and short of it is DO IT, get your family to DO IT, get your neighbors to DO IT! If we don't, THEY WIN.

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    I think they said that 4 million registered Republicans sat out this last election as opposed to 2008. That's a big reason we are in a second term of Obummer, well that and voter fraud

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    EVERYBODY needs to get their lazy a$$ out to register and to vote. I'm in my 50's and have not missed a primary or general election in my entire life. Once I argued at the precinct for two hours for the county clerk's office to clear up confusion regarding my registration so I could vote.

We all may wonder if it makes a difference, and I can quote Immanuel Kant and everything (paraphrasing here: you should do things yoursself the way you want the whole world to do them), but the long and short of it is DO IT, get your family to DO IT, get your neighbors to DO IT! If we don't, THEY WIN.

It's like I told people. We may have lost in Annapolis, but I sleep a hella lot better knowing I tried.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Something I noticed the other morning. Fox was the only channel with a news program on. The other channels all had what I would call fluff talk or morning topic, not news shows.

This may be a chicken/egg situation. Is Fox News tops in the morning because people prefer it to the point that other morning news failed, or did the other channels abandon their morning news programming, thus delivering high ratings to Fox?

In the evenings at least there are other options. But for people getting ready for work, Fox is the only news option available.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    It's like I told people. We may have lost in Annapolis, but I sleep a hella lot better knowing I tried.

...and I'm tired of carrying all my dead wood friends, neighbors and fellow 2A supporters who don't vote. It takes less time to get out and vote a couple of time every two years then the time we waste bellyaching about the bad election results.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I think they said that 4 million registered Republicans sat out this last election as opposed to 2008. That's a big reason we are in a second term of Obummer, well that and voter fraud

Confirmed I was tempted myself.

I had gun owners tell me they would not back Romney due to the awb in Mass. Well hells bells guys..

Do you think the big O would be better? For a 2 nd term.

I don't care if you are a liberal. But don't complain to me when taxes go up , crime goes up, liberty goes down .. etc.

You own that now. Don't tell me on a second term that you did not see this coming .. no sale.

Now you broke it you help fix it ..
    That's it. No more BS.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Epiphany: the problem is this country has turned into a bunch of nanny-state-breast-fed-welfare-queen-pu55ies.

The simple majority or better wants some form of handout(s) and is not willing to sacrifice blood, sweat and tears - much less their "lives" "fortunes" or "[not-so-sacred-anymore] honor." We have already slid down the slope that ancient Rome slid down, just waiting for the barbarians to storm the gates and start the next dark ages. Or, as they say in certain parts of this land, "we be f*cked"

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    Confirmed I was tempted myself.

I had gun owners tell me they would not back Romney due to the awb in Mass. Well hells bells guys..

Do you think the big O would be better? For a 2 nd term.

I don't care if you are a liberal. But don't complain to me when taxes go up , crime goes up, liberty goes down .. etc.

You own that now. Don't tell me on a second term that you did not see this coming .. no sale.

Now you broke it you help fix it ..
    That's it. No more BS.

Even knowing Romneys stance on weapons was not enough to make me stay home or vote for anyone but him. I didn't want to be subjected to round two of Obama but guess what, here we are. We could not have stopped it if we wanted to. Now we just have to look forward to 2016 to try and undo some of the failed policies of what will be O's terms.......... if we can

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    I know a very diehard republican business guy, he was bitching the other day an I told him the plan to register as a Dem to vote them out of the primary and he said he doesn't vote. I had him clarify his stance. He then said he has never ever voted in any election and I then proceeds to tell him that he was part of our problem.

RoccoRP87

Mar 22, 2013
    Many people feel that the Republican party has sold out and feel that a vote for the average Republican is more or less a vote for the average Democrat.

There is a grain of truth to that, sadly. The modern GOP uses the language of small government to garner votes then sits fat and happy in charge of a big government when they get elected as long as they can direct that government to their ends (example: Defense of Marriage Act)

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    According to Pew, CNN has more news coverage than Fox which has more than MSNBC. If you care to disagree, please cite something other than a number you plucked from your derriere.

Why should we believe 'only' 40% of people who were against SB281 were registered voters? How was that study conducted? Based on what numbers? What names? And what were the numbers like who were in favor?

Finally, why the hell didn't every male register to vote at the same time they registered with Selective Service? I know on my 18th, I went into the post office and took care of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom