ithaca Model 72 Lever Action - anybody have one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Saw one of these today at Bart's and I'm intrigued. I have neither a .22 nor a lever gun, so I'm thinking of picking it up. It's got a smooth action and reminds me of a grown up Red Rider. Unfortunately, I'm totally unfamiliar with this class of firearms, so some guidance would be appreciated.

A google search shows that these were built in Germany by Erma and then stamped with the Ithaca name. Henry rimfire repeaters use the same action (the President of Henry invented it as a younger man).

So, does anybody have anything positive or negative to share.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I THINK, repeat THINK, this rifle is a single shot and the tube is only cosmetic. If you'd really like a lever action .22 I'd suggest you try both a Marlin 39A and a full sized Henry. Both nice rifles, different feel. I prefer the Marlin.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I THINK, repeat THINK, this rifle is a single shot and the tube is only cosmetic. If you'd really like a lever action .22 I'd suggest you try both a Marlin 39A and a full sized Henry. Both nice rifles, different feel. I prefer the Marlin.

Nope, you're thinking of the Ithaca Model 49. These had issues and drove development of the Model 72.

I've seen the Marlins in passing, but haven't handled one. I'll give them a look.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Good catch. I knew it was one of the Ithicas. The Browning BL-22 is interesting if you can find one. Usually when I see them they're more than I care to part with.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

The Marlin is unique..........it feels like a FULL SIZED rifle. To hold it without knowing you would swear it's a 30/30 or better.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    There are a couple other rifles mentioned that would be much nicer ( Marlin 39, Browning BLR ) but much more expensive. That Ithaca should be selling in the $175-$250 range where the others will be in the $350-$450 range. The only thing that I thing you need to consider you may not find a gunsmith willing to work on it. If it's going to be a daily plinker I would suggest something else where you don't have to worry about parts availability. If it were me interested in it I would look at Numrich to check parts availability first. If parts are available I would buy it knowing that if anything breaks I can fix it myself.

Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    I have a 49 only because it was mint and paid $50 for it, not a bad gun but a single shot .22 is a pita. It only gets used as a kid trainer.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I have a Henry H001 (their bottom end model.) I like it a lot. Feels very Red Ryder BB gun-ish. But shoots straight and feeds flawlessly.

When shopping I looked at the Marlin 39A, and liked the feel of that a LOT. Very solid, substantial feel. And it has a good reputation. I also think I would prefer it over the higher end Henrys. But it was a bit too pricey for the plinkster I was looking for at the time.

No experience with the Ithaca.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    I havent gotten to check out the marlins, but i do have a henry, couldnt tell you the model number, its the same as the golden boy with a blued reciever and octagon barrel, shoots great and good fun for a .22 and i think it was under $350... as far as others have stated ithica may be a fun gun for the safe but not a daily plinker...

AR1911

Dec 21, 2010
    The Ithaca single-shot 49 was my first firearm. It was US-made and a nice little single-shot. I spent many evenings after school plinking with mine. Simple design, almost indestructible except for dry-fire damage.

The Ithaca 49 repeater was a different gun, being imported as an Ithaca. It did have some problems and was discontinued within a couple years IIRC. There was also a 49M Magnum model.
    The Model 72 came along after that, made by Erma, and was a much better design.
    The current Henry H001 is descended from the Erma design. I believe the Henry Repeating Arms Co. bought the rights from Erma, made some tweaks and started building rifles.

If you can buy that Erma for under $150 I'd snag it.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    The Ithaca 49 was my first gun also. It was stolen 25 yrs ago. I just got one on gunbroker Sun. For $140. It looks to be in great shape. I'm glad to have it back in my collection.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I like the Browning BL-22 because it has a shorter lever throw than most of the other .22 leverguns so you can cycle it faster. Gun is very well made but the trigger could be lighter. Added a classic Mitchell hammer spur to the BL-22 also since my scope interfers with using the hammer normally. Got my BL-22 at Gunrunners in Frederick as a consignment gun. I think I paid $375 for it and it looks nearly mint (1995 model).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great price. I got my BL-22 at Gunrunners too, but as a new transfer of a Grade II, so for a bit more. Really fun gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom