It cost my Wife and I $7626.00 to legally Carry a Handgun in 44 States!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I called and spoke to the Recoil range. Very helpful. He said they don't sell ammo so you will have to bring your own. You must bring a gun the YOU own. You must draw from concealment. IWB holster is okay but it can't be appendix carry or in the rear. Holster position wise, he said they would want to see "3:30 or 3:45" position with 3:00 being ideal. Also, he mentioned that there is a form where you can list every gun you intend to carry. Yes the training is (only) 3 hours
    3:45?? You mean 9 O'clock position if you are left handed? LOL

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I dont believe NJ has a time requirement for the current training. They are very specific about how the qualification is conducted and mandate a Use of Force Class.

The main reason the training can run 3 hours is the holster draw requirement. They have to make sure everyone can safely draw without something bad happening.
    If that class alone satisfies for new and renewal permits then that's pretty decent at least for NJ standards. I was under the impression they were going to try to do what NY & MD did.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Whats the lessons learned? If you have any articles to share I’d be interested in reading them. I find it frustrating my right to protect myself and my family is so restricted.

LEOSA is the only universally recognized way to carry in some states. I find it amusing the protection details we offer to some of our elected officials who refuse to recognize our rights to protect ourselves.
    The department was the Lake Arthur PD

Lots of well known people in firearms training and manufacturing community were "sworn" under this department. They had badges and credentials. I believe the badges were acquired through a donation, but I can't recall the amount.

The town had an extremely small population, and if I remember correctly, the department had over 500 "officers".

I personally don't have a problem with what this department did. When the government creates laws to prevent people from exercising their rights they will do what they can minimize their risk of arrest.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    If that class alone satisfies for new and renewal permits then that's pretty decent at least for NJ standards. I was under the impression they were going to try to do what NY & MD did.

When I did my re-qual we were out of there in 2 hours. The holster and reholster wasn’t what took time. Those were easy. It was the use of force class that they require which is about an hour long.

They don’t even drill any fast holster draw. You take your time and you do it slowly. Nobody fails unless you can’t hit the broad side of a barn door or you have a ND and shoot yourself or something.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    I went to the Recoil shooting range to "requalify" for my NJ permit and I had a good experience. Nice clean place. Best part was down to earth people. Regular folks who are helpful. One issue was that at the beginning, the class had to sit through a sales talk for US law shield. They really pushed it for the first half hour. At the time, I was a little put off, but in retrospect, I think people should be aware of insurance and I think it is good for them to discuss it. The person talking about the insurance was not one of the instructors.

Some of the training like how to draw felt agonizingly basic, but it was good because they don't know what you know. I believe is better to be safe and teach everyone like they are newbies so that they don't shoot themselves or others when holstering or re-holstering. The instructors I had ( we had 2 for 8 people) were solid. They were straightforward and interested in making sure we were safe and properly instructed. They always encouraged us to ask questions.

The shooting range is good. Well lit and modern. I was surprised that the first shots were at the max distance of 15 yards, but I guess if a person is a poor shot, they can stop them before they waste ammo and time. Three in our class failed the first time and got to re-shoot. Two passed the second time and the one failed again. They held him over while they gave the ones who passed their paperwork and I think they were going to do some instruction for that one dude.

All in all, it was good training and I would go there again in a second even though it was a long distance. It was worth the trip.

Chad, thank you so much for sharing about that range. You made this easier for me again just like when I was going for my NJ permit the first time.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I went to the Recoil shooting range to "requalify" for my NJ permit and I had a good experience. Nice clean place. Best part was down to earth people. Regular folks who are helpful. One issue was that at the beginning, the class had to sit through a sales talk for US law shield. They really pushed it for the first half hour. At the time, I was a little put off, but in retrospect, I think people should be aware of insurance and I think it is good for them to discuss it. The person talking about the insurance was not one of the instructors.

Some of the training like how to draw felt agonizingly basic, but it was good because they don't know what you know. I believe is better to be safe and teach everyone like they are newbies so that they don't shoot themselves or others when holstering or re-holstering. The instructors I had ( we had 2 for 8 people) were solid. They were straightforward and interested in making sure we were safe and properly instructed. They always encouraged us to ask questions.

The shooting range is good. Well lit and modern. I was surprised that the first shots were at the max distance of 15 yards, but I guess if a person is a poor shot, they can stop them before they waste ammo and time. Three in our class failed the first time and got to re-shoot. Two passed the second time and the one failed again. They held him over while they gave the ones who passed their paperwork and I think they were going to do some instruction for that one dude.

All in all, it was good training and I would go there again in a second even though it was a long distance. It was worth the trip.

Chad, thank you so much for sharing about that range. You made this easier for me again just like when I was going for my NJ permit the first time.
    I'm glad the range and staff was a good fit. Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

dfb0314

Jan 15, 2021
    You know you can do the qualification in Maryland, right? It only requires a "certified" instructor to oversee your shooting. "Certified" means by NRA or USCCA, NOT certified by the state of NJ. And the training is just the Powerpoint presentation the state police has along with reviewing the use of force material for NJ. Much easier now with the September release than it was back in July.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Chad, you are a Crusader of the first order. Thanks for posting all of this information and sharing your trials and experiences in an effort to secure a right that should only require US citizenship. I've pointed others to this information when countering arguments about how "easy" it is for a lawful person to carry.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, you are a Crusader of the first order. Thanks for posting all of this information and sharing your trials and experiences in an effort to secure a right that should only require US citizenship. I've pointed others to this information when countering arguments about how "easy" it is for a lawful person to carry.
    Thank you very much my friend. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    You know you can do the qualification in Maryland, right? It only requires a "certified" instructor to oversee your shooting. "Certified" means by NRA or USCCA, NOT certified by the state of NJ. And the training is just the Powerpoint presentation the state police has along with reviewing the use of force material for NJ. Much easier now with the September release than it was back in July.
    I have encountered issues when applying for out-of-state permits in Maryland. While on paper, qualifying seems straightforward, in my experience, it isn't always.
    When I went to qualify for NJ, RI, and MA. I looked for a local NRA instructor. Some said no, Some never replied to calls or emails, Some said I had to take the training in the state I was applying. The instructors were so busy with Maryland that they did not haver time. I finally found an NRA instructor who would help me, but he misunderstood some of the requirements and I had to go through the information with him line by line until he got it. When it came to qualification, I had to tag along with one of his permit classes. He allowed me to shoot at the very end of the class. This was not the ideal scenario for me. After all was done and I dropped off the application in NJ, I was told that the application had changed and that I had to drive back up to submit the new one.
    Now just last week, I went to the Recoil Range. They are 100% familiar with what needs to be done and are up to date with all requirements for qualification. They supply all the forms and training for you as required. This was an easy process and I am all done and have the new forms sent to NJSP.
    Your experiences might be different than mine, but if I had to do it all again, it was worth the peace of mind to travel. However, if you (or anyone reading this) can find a local instructor(s) that can and wants to qualify a person for New Jersey or other out-of-state permits, kindly share that contact info. I ,and others, would surely appreciate it.

On a side note; the last time I checked, Massachusetts requires you to take their training only from a Massachusetts certified instructor.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have encountered issues when applying for out-of-state permits in Maryland. While on paper, qualifying seems straightforward, in my experience, it isn't always.
    When I went to qualify for NJ, RI, and MA. I looked for a local NRA instructor. Some said no, Some never replied to calls or emails, Some said I had to take the training in the state I was applying. The instructors were so busy with Maryland that they did not haver time. I finally found an NRA instructor who would help me, but he misunderstood some of the requirements and I had to go through the information with him line by line until he got it. When it came to qualification, I had to tag along with one of his permit classes. He allowed me to shoot at the very end of the class. This was not the ideal scenario for me. After all was done and I dropped off the application in NJ, I was told that the application had changed and that I had to drive back up to submit the new one.
    Now just last week, I went to the Recoil Range. They are 100% familiar with what needs to be done and are up to date with all requirements for qualification. They supply all the forms and training for you as required. This was an easy process and I am all done and have the new forms sent to NJSP.
    Your experiences might be different than mine, but if I had to do it all again, it was worth the peace of mind to travel. However, if you (or anyone reading this) can find a local instructor(s) that can and wants to qualify a person for New Jersey or other out-of-state permits, kindly share that contact info. I ,and others, would surely appreciate it.

On a side note; the last time I checked, Massachusetts requires you to take their training only from a Massachusetts certified instructor.
    Fantastic post

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Still Waiting for Rhode Island Permit!!! I applied last January to the Foster, RI Police department. I have tried a few times to contact them lately, but they don't return emails or phone calls. If they would say that they are backed up, that would be understandable, but I am getting nothing
    Finally got my approval for my RI permit. A very nice dispatcher called and gave me options to come up for the appointment. I will be heading up this week.

In looking into this issue, I found that the Foster , RI police department is very small and has gotten swamped with permit applications. I understand now why the delay.

From other forums , I have seen that the Sergeant who handles this is a great guy and easy to deal with.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Finally got my approval for my RI permit. A very nice dispatcher called and gave me options to come up for the appointment. I will be heading up this week.

In looking into this issue, I found that the Foster , RI police department is very small and has gotten swamped with permit applications. I understand now why the delay.

From other forums , I have seen that the Sergeant who handles this is a great guy and easy to deal with.
    Sounds like good news.

With the East Greenwich RI permit you come in to submit the application and once approved they mail it to you.

Did you mail the application to Foster or did you have to drop it off in person?

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Sounds like good news.

With the East Greenwich RI permit you come in to submit the application and once approved they mail it to you.

Did you mail the application to Foster or did you have to drop it off in person?
    For Foster, you mail the application in and then have to go in for fingerprinting and a photo. Originally, when I looked to apply for the Rhode Island permit, I went to handgunlawus and found that Foster was listed. It looked straightforward and so I applied.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Arrived at the Foster Police Department headquarters in Foster. Sgt. Peters is the person who handles the permitting process. He is a nice person and very professional. He took me in early. I had to get photographed and fingerprinted.
    After about 30 minutes, I had my permit card in hand.

In talking to him, I asked about the program. He said they are really swamped with applicants and they are doing their best to get everyone taken care of. Sgt. Peters has other duties including being a patrol officer, so he is pretty busy.

There are also dispatchers there that answer calls and assist with paperwork, and I can tell you that they are helpful and easy to deal with.

I have multiple permits from other states (trying to catch up to Chad, lol) and I can say that dealing with Foster was a good experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom