is there a procedure to remove a county or counties from the state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Better idea: grant statehood to D.C., then Maryland cedes Montgomery & Prince George counties. D.C gets what they want and we loose a significant burden and maybe even become the Free State once again!
    BAD IDEA.

DC statehood means two more Democratic US Senators, a Democratic Representative, and another Democratic Governor.

Bagpiperer

Mar 23, 2013
    ...there's a procedure for removing politicians from office...u could start with that...

Yep, vote 'em out in the primaries. With the rain tax, the backroom deals over the prison scandal hearings...

However, I don't know what the ground game looks like in those places. We will likely need to reach across the aisle to long-time lib-progs and capitalize on their disgust with the Democratic machine in Maryland.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    How about the State of West Maryland or the State of Carroll? Granted, there are many obstacles to overcome, but I would support it!

Braxtonian

Dec 10, 2010
    Greencastle, PA
    False. The Supreme Court ruled that secession from the union was illegal and invalid. No state actually seceded, or has the right to secede from the union

Can't remember the case name, but I recall reading about it.

This is true, but history also contradicts itself. If Virginia never actually seceded, then west virginia couldn't secede from it and rejoin the north either, therefor there is no such state as west virginia.

Glock30Eric

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2013
    False. The Supreme Court ruled that secession from the union was illegal and invalid. No state actually seceded, or has the right to secede from the union

Can't remember the case name, but I recall reading about it.

Not quite. Texas did seceded from the union and that is why it has a star on their flag.

We couldn't dump those counties but we ALWAYS can secede from those counties.

I don't expect it will be done without a blood pouring on the street. I am all up for that. I have enough of the overbearings from those counties.

Glock30Eric

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2013
    BAD IDEA.

DC statehood means two more Democratic US Senators, a Democratic Representative, and another Democratic Governor.

It means nothing actually. They will collapse to themselves like with Detriot right now. It is far better to secedee those counties rather than to collapse with them.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    BAD IDEA.

True, but that would allow MD to replace Cardin and the Troll with two Republican Senators and shift more reps to the conservative side....

Then again...this still would be MD..nevermind.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think the key might be to get the General Assembly to vote a formal breakup. Which is not impossible, the Left can have their fantasy-land without ANY objection from anyone outside the I-95 axis. We sell them on that idea.

And the U.S. Constutition does allow for states to exchange territory.

The way I see this playing out is for a formal proposal with the following terms:
    1. The borders of the District of Columbia are redrawn to exclude the purely residential areas. The residential areas are ceded back to Maryland
    2. The state of Maryland shall hold a county-by-county vote of division. We'll avoid the "S" word. This is an amicable division of a political arrangement that makes nobody happy. The I-95 axis becomes a state. Probably with 5-6 Congressional seats.
    (2a - the vote is by precincts. To the greatest degree possible, precinct votes will be honored. This will result in the redrawing of some county lines)
    3. The rest of the state becomes one or more Federal Territories. They may organize themselves as a state (probably difficult due to geographic separation), or join other states. That decision will be made on a county-by-county basis.

Result: Everybody is happy!

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member