is there a civilian version of the galil?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Caspian receivers are apparently way better than the ORF made ones but of course that did not guarantee a good build since Century was still behind them. Plus adding a Green Mountain barrel no thank you I'd rather have the IMI original barrel.
    I'll take a chrome-lined 1:7 GM barrel over the 1:12 Israeli barrels, thanks. :)

The Caspian receivers are better (SN begins with "GLN", IIRC), but they are by no means perfect, and do have some problems.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Those are only issues with pre-2010 models that was made worse by the Obama panic of 2008 where they were churning out rifles as quickly as possible. Newer models I have looked at and read about do not have these issues plus have actual Swiss folding stocks not the cheap SIG USA ones on previous models. I would say the design has had enough time to mature in six years to make a safe purchase mostly getting all the bugs out of them.

The SIG-556R in 7.62x39 is another story altogether I'd avoid that.

I agree with Scott, the Sig 556 is an excellent rifle. They had some QC issues for a while there, but it was only some rifles, in a certain range of serial numbers. I got my 556 SWAT two years ago, maybe 300 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup. Very accurate, and much more ergonomic than an AK. However, I would not classify it as in any way related to an AK (unlike a Galil, which is an obvious clone) Nothing in the gas system, receiver, bolt, or FCG looks like an AK design (which is much simpler and has far fewer moving parts).

And didn't they workout the issues with the 556R? I thought they had corrected the FTF/FTE problems with the new bolt carrier? I'm still considering getting one of those since I have so many AK mags. lol

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    And didn't they workout the issues with the 556R? I thought they had corrected the FTF/FTE problems with the new bolt carrier? I'm still considering getting one of those since I have so many AK mags. lol

They enlarged the ejection port to fix the FTE's and reinforced the mag shelf with a steel insert due to premature wearing. They increased the hammer spring strength to fix FTFs from light strikes on hard primer russian ammo.

http://firearmsandtraining.blogspot.com/2012/04/sig-sauer-556r-factory-upgrades-for.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom