is there a civilian version of the galil?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Original, IMI manufactured semi auto Galil's were imported in the 80's.

They were comparatively expensive and demand was correspondingly low.

Importation was cut off in 1989.

They are very expensive collectors items now.

Some "thumbhole stocked" versions came in during the 90's.

In the past few years there was a flood of Galil type rifles cobbled together by Century Arms from used parts kits and new US receivers. They were sold as "Golani" rifles. These were hit or miss in terms of quality. If you got one that cycled and zero'd properly you made out. If you got one that didn't - you were hosed because they were expensive or impossible to fix. These have pretty much dried up now.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    If you want a quality Galil clone either pony up money for a pre-ban that is going to be at least $2500 plus or get a parts kit with a CNC Warrior receiver built by a reputable gunsmith.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you want a quality Galil clone either pony up money for a pre-ban that is going to be at least $2500 plus or get a parts kit with a CNC Warrior receiver built by a reputable gunsmith.
    Unfortunately, parts kits have been going up in price REALLY fast now that Apex is out of them. For a complete build by a reputable smith, you're probably looking at $1500+. Cheaper than an IMI (and in some ways, much better), but most people would be much, much better off with an Arsenal AK. The Galil is a solid rifle, but its time has passed.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Unfortunately, parts kits have been going up in price REALLY fast now that Apex is out of them. For a complete build by a reputable smith, you're probably looking at $1500+. Cheaper than an IMI (and in some ways, much better), but most people would be much, much better off with an Arsenal AK. The Galil is a solid rifle, but its time has passed.

I'd rather get a new SIG-556. It has AK genes in it plus can use AR mags, a Swiss folding stock, cheaper, and more ergonomic than the galil.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    are they as bad as the pistol quality they are putting out now had a friends blow up in my hand

Those are only issues with pre-2010 models that was made worse by the Obama panic of 2008 where they were churning out rifles as quickly as possible. Newer models I have looked at and read about do not have these issues plus have actual Swiss folding stocks not the cheap SIG USA ones on previous models. I would say the design has had enough time to mature in six years to make a safe purchase mostly getting all the bugs out of them.

The SIG-556R in 7.62x39 is another story altogether I'd avoid that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The new 556Rs are much better... it's just very much a buyer beware situation where the build date is almost everything.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    The new 556Rs are much better... it's just very much a buyer beware situation where the build date is almost everything.

Yeah new 556Rs are good to go, they stopped production and got their crap together. General rule, if they have the original Swiss stocks they are the new production, if they use the older collapsible folders they will have issues. I have yet to see new or old in person anywhere though.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Original, IMI manufactured semi auto Galil's were imported in the 80's.

They were comparatively expensive and demand was correspondingly low.

Importation was cut off in 1989.

They are very expensive collectors items now.

Some "thumbhole stocked" versions came in during the 90's.

In the past few years there was a flood of Galil type rifles cobbled together by Century Arms from used parts kits and new US receivers. They were sold as "Golani" rifles. These were hit or miss in terms of quality. If you got one that cycled and zero'd properly you made out. If you got one that didn't - you were hosed because they were expensive or impossible to fix. These have pretty much dried up now.

I am still kicking myself for not buying a HADAR II for $700 in 2007. Went for the Valmet Hunter for less from the same seller (fine gun in itself). Both NIB. Should have bought both, shame I was poor and supporting a grad student wife.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I'd rather get a new SIG-556. It has AK genes in it plus can use AR mags, a Swiss folding stock, cheaper, and more ergonomic than the galil.

You forgot to mention the block of lead that they put in the handguard somewhere.... At least it feels like it... Heavy bitch of a rifle...

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Don't forget the Century Golani as well. There are the typical Century issues to look for when buying one, but they are a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You forgot to mention the block of lead that they put in the handguard somewhere.... At least it feels like it... Heavy bitch of a rifle...
    Yeah, well, so is a Galil... which is why the grunts in the IDF hated it compared to the M-16s we so thoughtfully rained down on them in 1973. If the Israelis had used a lighter stamped receiver and a polymer stock, I think the Galil might have had much more success.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    A local shop had a galil for around 1000. I know nothing about them..but that is what the clerk called it. He is good people and knowledgeable...he also trained with the Israelis back in the day. Who knows. It was an awesome weapon.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Some of the Ohio Rapid Fire Galil builds go for about a grand back in the day. They had some real quality issues with the receivers, but they were basically your only choice for a non-5.56 build.

The CNCW receiver is top-notch stuff and priced as such, but there are very few of them out there as far as I know; maybe 200-300 at most.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Some of the Ohio Rapid Fire Galil builds go for about a grand back in the day. They had some real quality issues with the receivers, but they were basically your only choice for a non-5.56 build.

The CNCW receiver is top-notch stuff and priced as such, but there are very few of them out there as far as I know; maybe 200-300 at most.

The Caspian receivers are apparently way better than the ORF made ones but of course that did not guarantee a good build since Century was still behind them. Plus adding a Green Mountain barrel no thank you I'd rather have the IMI original barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom