• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Idk about hunting, but it's gotta be here. I've seen a slew of dead deer on the road and I've talked to 3 people in the last 2 days that hit one. They're going crazy :omg:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'm seeing does hearded up again the past couple days. Still passing the random buck in the pre-dawn hours, but nothing like in previous years. I hope the hearded does doesn't mean they're all bred.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    My friend just reported that an eight pointed had traffic stopped in both directions on River Road in Potomac this morning. It was just standing in the road looking into the distance and sniffing.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am finding the chasing is slowing a bit. I actually kind of prefer it because the deer return to some food plots to recharge for a longer time, whereupon I thwack them.

During full on rut sometimes deer run around like they are on a NASCAR track and refuse to slow down even if you yell at them.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    With temps in or near the 70s yesterday, it's gotta turn them off a little. Now this weekend, sightings should pick up a lot. They said there could be a small chance of SNOW on Sunday. We may get into some type of rutting weather next week. Lets hope so, cause I'm not seeing any chasing going on around here. I've only seen 2 deer on the side of the roads, when normally, I would have seen more than a dozen by now.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    With temps in or near the 70s yesterday, it's gotta turn them off a little. Now this weekend, sightings should pick up a lot. They said there could be a small chance of SNOW on Sunday. We may get into some type of rutting weather next week. Lets hope so, cause I'm not seeing any chasing going on around here. I've only seen 2 deer on the side of the roads, when normally, I would have seen more than a dozen by now.

They must all be down here...the dead one's. The body shops must be loving it.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I had a 8 pt come in Sunday morning (colder weather, less windy than Saturday)...he got close enough to look/sniff for does, then turned around and left without giving me a shot. He was clearly looking for some action.

Separately, I haven't seen as many road kill deer this year compared to last two years. Have also noticed they don't stay on the road as long as previous years. Think the state or county are removing them or people are salvaging them (PG, AA, and Calvert counties are where I drive the most). Suspect we'll see more road kills as the moon gets full again this month.

City Rat

Aug 12, 2015
    MD
    In what must be a cruel irony of Ma Nature, after spending more than a week I tree stands freezing and sweating and seeing nothing, I pull into my driveway Sunday evening and as I turn the car off a beautiful big, broad chested 8 pointer STROLLS behind my car and down the street not a care in the world...

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I did a managed hunt yesterday. I killed a mature doe at 6:58 am. Killing a doe allowed me to kill a mature buck under this hunt's rules.

The rut is definitely in full swing.

I had a fork buck come up behind me around 9:30 am with complete disregard for his safety and surroundings. He stood about 20 yards away from me. My tree was midway up a hillside and he was near the top of the hill, so we were at eye level. He eventually noticed me and didn't care at all, he was working the trail of a doe I'd shot about 90 minutes earlier. We weren't allowed to shoot young bucks in this hunt so he lived to see another day.

A little bit later there was a drive and a fine buck was pushed out of a thicket about 60 yards in front of me. He stood perpendicular to me, so I couldn't see his antler spread at first to determine if he was a shooter. By the time I could see that he had a fantastic 10-point rack, it was too late because he took off running the moment he completely got into the open. He ran the same path that three does had run about 5 minutes ahead of him. I won't shoot at running deer so all of these deer escaped. But I was happy to get my second deer of the season. I ordered a chest freezer from my phone for delivery today :) I got home around 3:00 and completed butchering it and sealing everything up around 8:00. I really took my time with butchering and sealed up individual portions this time. This was my fifth deer. I've got two more hunting outings planned and will continue to hope for a buck.

Attachments

• IMG_9397.jpg
      IMG_9397.jpg
      175.8 KB · Views: 141
    • IMG_9441.jpg
      IMG_9441.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 141
    • IMG_9443.jpg
      IMG_9443.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 139

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Nov. 17 has long been regarded as the peak of the rut in W. MD. Of course there are other influencing factors, but as a general rule of thumb it's been very reliable. "Rutting behaviour" will of course continue for weeks, just as it does leading up to. Then of course there is the opportunity factor males of any specie are familiar with. :innocent0

As a general rule though, for making long term plans, Nov. 17 is a date to remember. ;)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Nov. 17 has long been regarded as the peak of the rut in W. MD. Of course there are other influencing factors, but as a general rule of thumb it's been very reliable. "Rutting behaviour" will of course continue for weeks, just as it does leading up to. Then of course there is the opportunity factor males of any specie are familiar with. :innocent0

As a general rule though, for making long term plans, Nov. 17 is a date to remember. ;)

Glad to see you posting and chiming in again.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    Seeing does herded up, but also being chased off a bit by younger bucks. Feels like we passed the peak and are getting to the second mini rut, but hard to say with the weather.

My thoughts are trickle rut due to late lunar cycle(the warm weather didn't help) and we are still in the first rut period but petering out. "Second rut" would maybe kick in second week of Md. gun season, I'm thinking.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Idk about hunting, but it's gotta be here. I've seen a slew of dead deer on the road and I've talked to 3 people in the last 2 days that hit one. They're going crazy :omg:

I was riding my bike on a country road out here in Iowa and saw some car parts on the side of the road. In the ditch was a nice 8 point buck.

Is there a way I can get the antlers off without messing them up? I want to use them for rattling etc. They felt like they were on there pretty solidly. There's also water in the ditch and it's snowing today so it may be awhile till I can get at it.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Question for you knowledgeable folks: I'll be hunting in Augusta and Highland Counties in Virginia next weekend. Elevation 3,000-4,500 feet. Will the deer there be "ahead" of the deer in the lowlands in terms of the rut cycle?

I'm more curious than anything. I've only got two possible stand locations and I'll just pick based on the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom