• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 6, 2012
    I found a Mossberg 590 Mariner 9 shot model for just a few bucks over $500. I know I can get a 500 standard 8 shot for almost 200 cheaper, but I wouldn't mind having the ss. My only question is: is it worth it?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The price doesn't sound bad for new. Hard to go wrong with a 500.

I don't think the marine coat is stainless, but some resistant finish. I don't have any Mossy's with it, so I'm not sure.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't know , is it worth it to YOU ?
    Actually that is two different questions in one. First is 500 vs 590 , second is finish.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I am looking at this same gun....check Dick's and Bass Pro.....should be like $424 before tax. It's not SS, it's some kind of coating.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    In my opinion, it would probably be worth the extra money. You're getting the tougher Mariner finish AND a more durable gun (500 vs the 590). Will you ever NEED the extra durability and "toughness" that the 590 gives you over the 500? Probably not. But if it were me, I would do it.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I own the marinized Mossy 590 which they marketed as a Coastie scattergun after the Marines adopted it. It is not stainless or nickel. It is a dull, non-reflective matte silver finish that reminds me most of what is known in motorhead circles as alumacoat, a high-temp/highly corrosion-resistant liquified/atomized metal bonding process often used on headers or similar exhaust componentry over chroming, nickel-plating, powder-coating or high-temp painting. It's really durable and doesn't chip, seemingly absorbs gun oil into its surface and is almost like an albino blueing or parkerization that doesn't fade or change color from excessive heat or age.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    What would this finished be used for other than it's intended use in a marine environment? Kinda shiny/flashy/reflective for hunting or HD.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    What would this finished be used for other than it's intended use in a marine environment? Kinda shiny/flashy/reflective for hunting or HD.

It is not at all shiny, flashy or reflective. It is very matte, dull and not real smooth to the touch...just silverish gray instead of blueish black. Literally, the only part on it that is shiny in the least is the shell extractor bar. I got mine because I wanted something I could bury in the seashore and have it still work ala my Glock or AK. I have a personal affinity for the overbuilt and bombproof over the finely appointed and exquisite, at least where home defense weapons are concerned.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    As others mentioned, it's not SS. It's a dull silver coating. Think of it as a silver parkerized finish. Just over $500 for the 9-shot version is nothing to do backflips over. Unless you plan to have it in a water environment, something like the polished blue 590 9-shot (model #50645) will serve you just as well for less money. There are also dozens of other parkerized 590 and 590A1 models to choose from, all tough as nails. All of them are very nice. Blued and especially parkerized will be a much easier sell if you want to part with it down the road. Traditionalists tend to be put off by the silver finish. It doesn't look great in person.

Feb 6, 2012
    It is not at all shiny, flashy or reflective. It is very matte, dull and not real smooth to the touch...just silverish gray instead of blueish black. Literally, the only part on it that is shiny in the least is the shell extractor bar. I got mine because I wanted something I could bury in the seashore and have it still work ala my Glock or AK. I have a personal affinity for the overbuilt and bombproof over the finely appointed and exquisite, at least where home defense weapons are concerned.

That's the way I think. I'm probably not ever going to need the sort of reliability it has to offer, but I want there just in case.

My mistake on the ss, thank you all for informing me.

@Boom Boom: I have seen them in person and I don't mind the look at all.

As for resale, I'm looking for a shotgun that will last me a very long time, pretty much, until it dies.

Which 500 or 590 model would anyone recommend? Please add a link with its specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom