Is HQL necessary if you already have MD gun permit and want to add concealed carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Thanks.

At the Portal, it seems to want me to sign in again even though I'm already signed in, then it won't accept my password.

No,

Where do I apply for HQL PERMIT EXEMPT? I don't see it.

It wants me to sign in, but I already am.

Attachments

• Screenshot (493).png
      Screenshot (493).png
      47.2 KB · Views: 59

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Thanks.

At the Portal, it seems to want me to sign in again even though I'm already signed in, then it won't accept my password.
    The HQL portal is completely separate from the normal licensing portal. You'll need to set up a separate account there. Makes little sense to have them as separate IMO, but they are.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    This ^^^^
    AND the HQL is not necessary for the transfer of C&R guns. There are plenty 50+ year old hand guns out there which are reliable self defense arms.

No one really needs to get the HQL first. And once the CCW is obtained upon completion of the requirements to do so, the HQL is free for the asking.
    So...

Question:

If one were to never had an HQL, never had a registered firearm, and purchased a C&R gun, do they become exempt from the HQL training requirement?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    So...

Question:

If one were to never had an HQL, never had a registered firearm, and purchased a C&R gun, do they become exempt from the HQL training requirement?
    I'd think they would not be exempt, as how would the People's Republic know?

I think you'd have to do a voluntary registration.

Have you a Maryland permit? if yes, get the freebie HQL

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I'd think they would not be exempt, as how would the People's Republic know?

I think you'd have to do a voluntary registration.

Have you a Maryland permit? if yes, get the freebie HQL
    I'm confused, when you buy a C&R gun it is exempt from HQL but still does Maryland regulated paperwork so it's registered.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    My fault for being unclear.

You needn't do anything when you buy a C&R gun. Except shoot it.

To be HQL exempt, you'd have to register it so MD knows you own a handgun, if you want to be training exempt. I think
    So there is no Maryland regulated paperwork for a C&R gun? I had to fill out it and state the exemption on the 77r when I bought it from a dealer.

I'm still confused.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , here goes :

C&R gun , purchased using FFL 003 , in Interstate Commerce , no involvement with MSP .

C&R gun , purchased from Md FFL or transferred from Md residents , requires 77R , but not HQL .

IF aquired via first method , you would then enter the S/N in the appropriate space on the HQL application , to claim training exception , if that's the route you wish .

Or just get W&C

Or use Hunter Safety Card #

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    There are three different situations.

If you buy a C&R handgun within Maryland 77r transfer paperwork (at a Maryland FFL01 firearms dealer) is required even if you have a Federal FFL03 (the C&R license).

If you buy a C&R handgun from out of state and you don't have a FFL03 you need to have that handgun shipped to a Maryland dealer and do 77r transfer paperwork at that dealer just like any other handgun.

There is no Maryland regulated paperwork required for a C&R handgun that is purchased from out of state by someone that holds a Federal FFL03 License. That handgun can be shipped directly to you if bought online or you can buy it directly at an out of state gunshow.

In any of the cases above you do not need a HQL to purchase a C&R handgun.

Once you own a regulated firearm you can use that firearm's serial number as proof that you are training exempt when applying for your HQL.

Or see what Bigfoot44 said above. I was typing at the same time.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    So there is no Maryland regulated paperwork for a C&R gun? I had to fill out it and state the exemption on the 77r when I bought it from a dealer.

I'm still confused.
    No, if you purchased it from an out of state seller.

Yes, if you purchased it from an in-state seller.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    There are three different situations.

If you buy a C&R handgun within Maryland 77r transfer paperwork (at a Maryland FFL01 firearms dealer) is required even if you have a Federal FFL03 (the C&R license).

If you buy a C&R handgun from out of state and you don't have a FFL03 you need to have that handgun shipped to a Maryland dealer and do 77r transfer paperwork at that dealer just like any other handgun.

There is no Maryland regulated paperwork required for a C&R handgun that is purchased from out of state by someone that holds a Federal FFL03 License. That handgun can be shipped directly to you if bought online or you can buy it directly at an out of state gunshow.

In any of the cases above you do not need a HQL to purchase a C&R handgun.

Once you own a regulated firearm you can use that firearm's serial number as proof that you are training exempt when applying for your HQL.

Or see what Bigfoot44 said above. I was typing at the same time.
    Thank you. That is what I suspected.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Ok , here goes :

C&R gun , purchased using FFL 003 , in Interstate Commerce , no involvement with MSP .

C&R gun , purchased from Md FFL or transferred from Md residents , requires 77R , but not HQL .

IF aquired via first method , you would then enter the S/N in the appropriate space on the HQL application , to claim training exception , if that's the route you wish .

Or just get W&C

Or use Hunter Safety Card #
    Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom