• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunny1998

(This Space for Rent)
    Apr 20, 2013
    St. Marys County
    Find your best deal online, and ship it to All Pawn. We never got any extras with the transfers, but saved hundreds of dollars. Saved nearly $300 on one handgun.

Ehhh ... that's kind of misleading. Nothing against All Pawn, never dealt with them so I can speak to pro/con with them particularly.

I've done a few out of state transfers at three different local FFL/dealers. Usually its for a firearm they don't have or can't get, it's never been about cost/markup - here's why:
    1) most out of state transfers have a cost for; (a) the firearm, (b) shipping at a minimum and some come with additional costs for (c) CC fee (3-4%) and (d) outgoing FFL.
    2) add to that the incoming FFL cost.
    By the time you're done you're paying nearly the same as a local FFL/dealer that has one in stock (and some won't do transfers if they have it or can get it). And the waiting is less, since with a local it's just the 8 day - you don't have the extra week of shipping from out of state.
    And add to that you get to inspect the firearm at the store - you don't get that option online (or have to pay a fee and shipping to return it - plus local FFL fee ... and you're out that money)

I'll admit that $300 is a substantial price difference ... my experience is that is the exception and not the norm.
    Then again, if you factor extremes (local highest cost store with online lowest cost by volume) you can easily build a case that proves online is less cost to the consumer.
    But that's weighted data analysis - and false.

To a degree, this is true:
    A lotta folks do this. The only argument against this practice is that if everybody did it, we would have zero local gun stores.:sad20:.
    ... and to a degree it's not. When you pay a local FFL/dealer the transfer fee (whatever value), all but $20 of that fee is profit to the local FFL/dealer. When you consider they're not buying the firearm (low financial risk) and they're making $20-$80 per transfer - as well as building a good reputation with the customer - and by word of mouth the community - it's a win/win for both parties.

Nonetheless - I completely agree with you that I'd gladly pay a 5% delta to a local store, and I do.
    I'm just particular about what local FFL/dealers I'll do business with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom