• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've been eye-balling one of these AK's for a while. Every time I think I want one, I go handle it, and change my mind. When I pick one up, I expect it to feel like an AR (machined receiver, etc...) and it doesn't. If feels like a stamped gun. Do all AK's have a stamped receiver?

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I've been eye-balling one of these AK's for a while. Every time I think I want one, I go handle it, and change my mind. When I pick one up, I expect it to feel like an AR (machined receiver, etc...) and it doesn't. If feels like a stamped gun. Do all AK's have a stamped receiver?

No. They also have milled receivers but they are harder to find and more expensive. According to what I have read, accuracy is not increased that much by a milled receiver. The stamped receivers usually can accept most AK parts where the milled ones don't always accept the parts.

Not all AK parts are interchangeable. For instance the Yugo undefolders can not accept some other AK parts because they are build on a different receiver. It is also a thicker receiver which makes it stronger. As far as I know, there are four different types of receivers being made right now. 3 are stamped and one is milled. The difference in the 3 stamped receivers is the thickness of the metal used in the receives. I don't know the thickness of the top of my head and would have to do further research to be able to find them. I am pretty sure the Yugo underfolder is built on a RPK style receiver which is why it wont readily accept all other AK accessories.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Define accurate. The 7.62x39 round is not the most accurate round in the world, nor was it designed to be. If you are plinking at say 200yds or under, sure...get much beyond that and any 7.62x39 weapon (AR, SKS, whatever) isn't going to be terribly accurate...it's the nature of the beast. If you want something more accurate, go with a AK-74. It may not have AR accuracy, but it will still be respectable and certainly can take more punishment.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    So is the IO AK the thicker metal or not? Is the thicker metal necessarily "better"? (i.e. more durable, more accurate, etc...)

Not sure. The ones I have seen seem to be made out of a thicker sheet but I can't confirm it. I have only seen trials between the sheet metal receivers and the milled ones. Accuracy was improved a little with the milled receiver. A can't imagine the slight increase in the receiver metal between the three would increase accuracy significantly. It's an AK! It's not supposed to be extremly accurate. I think the thickness of the receives is mostly for strength of the overall rifle. My WASR-10 has a very thin receiver and you can tell. The Yugo is nice an thick and sturdy. Even though it's a stamped receiver it still feels like it's built like a tank.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    I have no idea whether the IO is milled or stamped. As far as thickness, considering this is my first AK, I have nothing to compare too. Maybe one of the other members who got one here can chime in. This receiver is made in the USA by RPG Arms in Houston, TX.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I have no idea whether the IO is milled or stamped. As far as thickness, considering this is my first AK, I have nothing to compare too. Maybe one of the other members who got one here can chime in. This receiver is made in the USA by RPG Arms in Houston, TX.

A quick way to tell on 99% of AK's is to look for rivets... Of course my stamped AK's won't have rivets, cause I'm welding them, but like I said, 99% of them will have rivets.

And I'll be honest, I don't really see how an AK "feels" stamped in any way... By the time you're done attaching the trunnions and the center support and the lower rails, not to mention just the bends of the receiver, it's a very solid piece. Sure it's not solid like hit it with a sledge hammer solid, but if you do that to your AR, it's going to break into pieces. With the AK I can probably bend the reciever back to near straight with whatever is available to me and still have a rifle capable of firing :lol2:

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    When you consider the 7.62x39 vs. the .223, you may change you mind. Talk to spec ops guys and hear their complaints about the 223. Not to mention feeding problems and other issues that guys have experienced in combat.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    When you consider the 7.62x39 vs. the .223, you may change you mind. Talk to spec ops guys and hear their complaints about the 223. Not to mention feeding problems and other issues that guys have experienced in combat.

If I'm ever in spec ops or combat, you're probably right.

However, I'm too fat and old for either. I mostly shoot paper, and the occasional goose.

Besides, one of my AR's is a .50 Beowulf. :thumbsup: ft/lbs isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    Anyone else have any reports on their IO AK-47's? Just curious to see how others have liked theirs and/or what mods you have done.

I'm looking for a new muzzle brake/recoil compensator, new stock (the current stock leaves stripped black and blue marks on my shoulder...LOL), and maybe replace the Galil handguard.

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    I HATE the galil handguard. It just doesnt seem ak 47 to me but its impossible to find anything else. This is all i've found but im worried the black wont match (looks too light) http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AK-ATIHDG.aspx i got a few snap and shoot slings, and my tapco 30 round mag's thats it.. if i can just get a new foregrip i'll be happy with it, i kinda wanna leave it AK 47 ish.. no scopes, no rails

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    I'm looking for something with integrated rails. The Tapco Intrafuse is one of the ones I'm looking at. I'm assuming that since the Tapco Galil's fit on that the Fusions shouldn't have any problems. The tough part about being "American-made" is figuring out which part to get that will fit.

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=588f5971-1488-4590-96ce-eb06bf0182d1

This is the other one I'm looing at:

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_34_81&products_id=779

Phantom Flash hider?
    http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?products_id=309

Another one I've been looking at are the FSC47 and J-TAC47 by Primay Weapons. Anyone try these?
    7.62x39 Compensators - PWS

$100 for the FSC47 and $60 for the J-Tac47 seems pretty high.

Last edited:

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    i just ordered a tapco adjustable stock, i'm thinking about the intrafuse handgaurd too, for looks mainly i don't plan to mount anything to it. other than that i'm gonna leave it alone.... i still got try out my tapco mags:sad20: i was thinking maybe thursday morning would be a quiet morning at elkneck, with everyone being passed out from new years.

~simplegreen did you ever get the OE sling to work, what is a snap n shoot sling?

~i love the IO i may even get a wooden one eventually, i love the classic look but couldn't pass on dan's deal:thumbsup:

LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I FINALLY got my AK out to the range today. I am not a fan of the Galil handguard. It also feels like my pistol grip is slightly loose. Other than that, it was a blast to shoot.

I did have one problem though. My groups were tight at 25 yds (indoor range), but they were all to the right, and slightly high. The height could be my fault, but I have no idea why my groups would be to the right. After I finished my second magazine, my groups came down, but were all still right. Any suggestions as to what I can do to adjust this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom