• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    My IHC Garand will be one of the last guns I'll sell from my huge collection when that time comes. That's how highly I regard it. Mine has the original LMR barrel and shoots way better than I do. Paid $650 for it 20 yrs ago and wouldn't let it go for less than $1500 today.

DHCraig

Aug 21, 2012
    South County
    Well the title says it all. I came across this at my FFLs' shop today. It will be going up for sale and I'm trying to figure out what to offer the guy. The gun is on consignment and has to be sold ASAP. The bore and barrel are clean and crisp. There are markings on the stock, may not be original stock? The receiver has a grayish color to it which looks different from my other M1 Garand. Action is smooth also.

I know there are some hard core C&R folks here. What are your opinions on price and what else should I be concerned with. Yes, the International Harvester thing has me a little wound up. :lol2:

Thanks
    Rob

Like already mentioned by one poster, it is a mixmaster on its face, but of course most garands are. Aside from the obvious like the bolt, unless there is a circle P (unseriffed P) the stock appears a replacement. It could have had a circle P sanded off as it does have the Agusta Arsenal rebuild (AAG) mark so more likely WWII era wood someone dressed it in. Correct IHC wood isn't cheap, will usually have a DAS (eagle with 3 stars) on or near the left rear of the stock which definitely I don't see here, nor would expect to. There was another rarer set of IHC marks but your serial isn't in that range. The hallmark of an IHC stock though is in the barrel channel- it will have in virtually all cases a 4 digit number stamped in the channel perpendicular to the barrel direction, and they are big (~ 1/4" high) compared to say SA SPG, GHS and early EMcF channel numbers which were virtually all single or double digit, maybe 1/8" high at MOST and stamped nearest the "slide" leading to the magazine cutout. Also, viewing the stock from the heel forward, on the right hand side the IHC has a pronounced "notch" somewhat like a WRA- in other words it will be narrower on the upper starboard side of the stock near the top where the stock locking surfaces are. If you run your hand along the the right side heel forward towards the muzzle you will feel (and most certainly see if looking down at it) it widen a few inches forward of the heel.

Since this is your guy's shop the first thing he should do is be willing to field strip the weapon for you (at bare minimum). If he isn't then I'd walk on the spot. Even before that though, check the barrel markings on the right rear side of the barrel near the receiver by locking the bolt back. Right under the op rod arm just forward of the receiver will be a drawing number and date. Like mentioned already it should be an LMR barrel dated "1-54" on it. If not its a replacement more than likely, and that means its worth less.

Trigger housing assembly should have the drawing number either IHC D6528290 or 6528290 IHC. Unlikely but I suppose it "could" have the single letter stamp underneath the drawing number... If its not IHC value continues to drop. Safety should be marked with an "F" and the hammer marked IHC defore or after the drawing number. If anything is unmarked, or HRA, WRA or SA its a rebuild part and price continues down.

With stock off look at the op rod transition normally hidden under the stock - it will have a drawing number and end with "IHC" all caps. If not, its replacement & the price is still dropping. Bullet guide, if original, will have a crescent cutout on one side on the outer edge 1/2 way up, which is indicative of postwar stamped, but you really can't tell if its IHC (let alone the rest) unless the follower group is detail stripped. Gives you a ballpark though- if no notch then I'd consider the whole follower assembly replacement.

I notice in the photo the gas cylinder sight mount flat appears flush with the sides of the front sight. Measure across- if 1/2 inch then its a narrow sight base cylinder and 1,000% WWII issue, not IHC (the narrow sight base is desirable for collectors but argue it as another price drop). Everything mid 1943 til end of production was 9/16th" wide & you can see the gas cylinder sight base sticking out a tad on each side. The photo is also very clear- the gas cylinder lock is WWII issue beveled, not even late war round let alone IHC high hump. Another price drop, though its a nice part. Finally, the front sight is not IHC- you can measure the distance between the guards outside to ouside to get an idea but looks SA postwar to me. IHC its not. Price drop.

I won't venture a guess at value but the only thing I can see from the photos IHC is the receiver. Take down the drawing and heat lot numbers / letters on the right hand side front of the receiver when disassembled- they can be cross-referenced to the serial number to be sure it isn't a reweld. Finally, remember CMP is releasing some IHCs soon- there is no question they are USGI, not reweld, and the papers you get & records they keep will likely keep the average value higher in the future than any unpapered rifle.

GL- Dave

Last edited:

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Got a few more pics and info.

Attachments

• 2013-07-06_15-25-11_45.jpg
      2013-07-06_15-25-11_45.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 160
    • 2013-07-06_15-25-17_299.jpg
      2013-07-06_15-25-17_299.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 161
    • 2013-07-06_15-25-51_725.jpg
      2013-07-06_15-25-51_725.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 161
    • 2013-07-06_15-29-34_509.jpg
      2013-07-06_15-29-34_509.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 165
    • 2013-07-06_15-29-46_354.jpg
      2013-07-06_15-29-46_354.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 161

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Very nice 60's rebuild,looks almost unused since rebuild. Very few International Harvester parts left,still a desirable rifle.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    So did you buy it or did you just stop by to visit it again?

Stopped by to visit again. The guy decided what he wants for it so, Just trying to decide if I need another one. :sad20:

I didn't want to take the gun down completely so, I got what pics I could of some of the internals. Guy wants $800 for it. Which is a decent price. He awaits my reply..... :tap:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    At $800 my only question is: What are you waiting for? Go get it! I'd be comfortable getting a 60's rebuild in VG condition at that price. The IHC receiver is just a cherry on top at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom