• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    You may be lucky enough to have an original, unmolested M1 so don't sweat it.
    Installing the lug will booger up the gun IMHO.

Actually the lug is integral with the barrel band. It is called a type III barrel band. One for one swap of parts with the earlier band. That being said, the Type III band might scratch the finish on the barrel if you aren't careful.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Mine was built without and never re-arsenaled. Sadly it was missing the rear sight, though I slapped a later war correct sight in there (I prefer the ladder and elevation adjustment over the flip). Everything else on it, as near as I can tell, is 1942 original.

The adjustable rear sight was adopted almost at the same time as the Type III barrel band (with the bayonet lug). Both went on the carbine at the same time during the post war rebuilds and were rarely seen during the war (pretty much only on Okinawa.)

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I missed the boat on these when they were still only $325+/-. Still kinda tempted to get a P1 if I can find one with the Hex-Pin

I’ve actually got a CYQ P.38 I’m going to offload. Probably somewhere around the $575-$600 mark if anyone’s interested.

Agreed, the boat has been missed. I can’t justify $500 for one of these when a brand new Cz can be had for less.

However, I’m sure they’ll sell out quickly.

Jul 1, 2012
    As a point of order:

The hex pin in a post-war P1/P38 does NOT make the gun stronger (erroneously called a "reinforcing" pin).
    It was placed there to reduce the wear from the steel lock block on the aluminum frame when the barrel returns to battery.

What you really want is the heavier "fat slide" and forged lock block.
    The heavy slide is easily identified by the extended length of the cocking serrations (see pic).
    Typically a gun upgraded with the hex pin will have those however.

Either way, it's still unwise to shoot anything hot through them, and using aftermarket heavy recoil springs to compensate can actually crack the frame due to higher slide velocity going into battery.

Curious to see what these AIM P1's are, and if they defaced them with the drunken monkey import marks.
    Not curious enough to spend $500+ but curious if anyone else does :)

BTW the listing is active now so order away...

Attachments

• fat slide2.jpg
      fat slide2.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 377

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Always wanted one of these. Now is the time I suppose.

I’d feel the same way, but I don’t have $500 spare right now :sad20:

Then again Century has some in what appears to be lesser condition for $600+

It is what it is, but priced beyond me anytime soon. I’ll just have to hope to find one at a show or someone gets another bunch in, in a year or two at not more than that.

Though maybe if Aim is getting a bunch in, someone else also is soon and maybe at a bit of a price break?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I’d feel the same way, but I don’t have $500 spare right now :sad20:

Then again Century has some in what appears to be lesser condition for $600+

It is what it is, but priced beyond me anytime soon. I’ll just have to hope to find one at a show or someone gets another bunch in, in a year or two at not more than that.

Though maybe if Aim is getting a bunch in, someone else also is soon and maybe at a bit of a price break?

Never sat never, but you’re never going to see these at less than $500.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The adjustable rear sight was adopted almost at the same time as the Type III barrel band (with the bayonet lug). Both went on the carbine at the same time during the post war rebuilds and were rarely seen during the war (pretty much only on Okinawa.)

Yeah mine is September of 1942 manufacture. Never rearsenaled. Original front band/no bayonet lug.

As near as I can tell it is all matching. Everything I can find manufacture marks on is Inland and the barrel and receiver are close enough in age to likely have been assembled together.

Jul 1, 2012
    Never sat never, but you’re never going to see these [P1's] at less than $500.

Not from any of the distributors anyway.
    You can still find them being sold privately for less if you're persistent.

If the AIM P1/P38 are in excellent shape it's not a bad price, really.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Damnit.

I said I was done buying guns for a long time. Then my boss turns around and gave me a bonus at work.

A P.38/P1 has been on my wish list. It galls me that they are $499 when a few years ago they were $350. Could, shoulda, woulda.

Am I going to regret it? Everyone seems to say they are nice. Great trigger, nice handling. Fits in most people’s hands well. Okay basic military sights. I’ve heard various things of it isn’t forgiving for accuracy, but also that if your technique is decent it shoots fine.

Frankly I hate my Glock 17 dot/box sights. Replacing it with three dot sights soon. Still figuring out my M57 Yugo sights (it is shooting super low, which makes accuracy hard). My Cz-52 are basic blade and shooting it carefully I can put 8 in a fist sized group at 10yds easy.

To me a perk is I’ve collected guns in so many new calibers (the last 6 guns I’ve bought or built were new calibers) a P1 would be no new caliber!

My other thoughts were a Cz82, but mags aren’t cheap and I can’t get the stupid magazines in this state. So I’d probably be out of pocket an extra $100 or more for 3 mags and hassle getting them out of state.

Or a P64, but I am just so luke warm on them. Century has good condition Cz-52 without mags for $179...but I have a Cz-52 and a pair of mags. I love it, but I don’t think I need a 2nd one.

And the Cz-82 and P-64 would also mean a new caliber. I am not saying I won’t get another caliber some day, but I don’t want that day to be soon.

Everything else is basically long guns (C&R wise I mean) and I really don’t want to add any long guns to my safe right now.

I guess I could just tuck away all of my bonus...but I’d still be walking away with some of it left over if I got a P-1.

Jul 1, 2012
    I think the AIM P1's created a disturbance in the force and will jack up prices across the board.
    When they were $300-350, there was a flood of a metric crap-ton of them into the country;
    now that supply is dried up for the most part and we'll see prices accordingly.
    If it was me I'd watch GB and buy one off of there vice AIM, because then you know what you're getting (in theory).

BTW there are aftermarket 3-dot sights for the P1, rear is easy to install, front you'd need tools (or a paintbrush and some white paint).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think the AIM P1's created a disturbance in the force and will jack up prices across the board.
    When they were $300-350, there was a flood of a metric crap-ton of them into the country;
    now that supply is dried up for the most part and we'll see prices accordingly.
    If it was me I'd watch GB and buy one off of there vice AIM, because then you know what you're getting (in theory).

BTW there are aftermarket 3-dot sights for the P1, rear is easy to install, front you'd need tools (or a paintbrush and some white paint).

Isn’t that always how it goes? Someone brings a batch in after they had dried up for awhile and they jack the price $50 or $100 over what it had been 6 months before and suddenly everyone is asking the higher price.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We’ll have to see if this happens with the Beretta 92S that are everywhere now.

I keep being torn on them. Even once transfer fees are worked in, that is still really cheap for what is an awesome gun. That said, when you factor in transfer fees, landing a used 92fs isn’t all that much more, just another $100-150 in a lot of cases.

That’s where I come down. I’d like to own a 92, but I’d really rather prefer a 92fs over a 92s.

If 92s was C&R and I really could get one for basically $250 shipped to my door and none of the MD hassle...it would be a done deal.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I keep being torn on them. Even once transfer fees are worked in, that is still really cheap for what is an awesome gun. That said, when you factor in transfer fees, landing a used 92fs isn’t all that much more, just another $100-150 in a lot of cases.

That’s where I come down. I’d like to own a 92, but I’d really rather prefer a 92fs over a 92s.

If 92s was C&R and I really could get one for basically $250 shipped to my door and none of the MD hassle...it would be a done deal.

I don’t have an HQL because I refuse to give this f-ing state money to exercise my Murican-given rights. I own 3 modern handguns, all of which I got before 10/2013. I have looked longingly at the Bulgarian Maks for at least 3 years. I know in my heart of hearts that, eventually, I am going to regret not doing what I need to do to get a few of them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I don’t have an HQL because I refuse to give this f-ing state money to exercise my Murican-given rights. I own 3 modern handguns, all of which I got before 10/2013. I have looked longingly at the Bulgarian Maks for at least 3 years. I know in my heart of hearts that, eventually, I am going to regret not doing what I need to do to get a few of them.

;)

13-03-2016_18-27-42_726099.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I hear you. I broke down because I am going to Alaska in a few weeks and the plan was for me to get a .357 or 10mm to bring along. Then the itinerary changed and no handguns for me.

It was my “in” on owning handguns. My wife is gun squimish. So I got my HQL a few months ago (and plans change literally a few days after I had it in hand).

I built my 80% glock not long after and back about 2 months ago she agree to let me get “some old Cold War handgun”.

I’ve got two of those now and another probably coming soon. She at least knows about one. :o

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Dennis at Empire Arms sells nice stuff, and charges for it. Despite knowing this, I experienced a little sticker shock when I checked his Makarov inventory ...

http://www.empirearms.com/pistols.htm

Two Soviets that he rates Excellent-Plus are listed for $950. Getting an HQL and a Bulgarian variant is decidedly cheaper, especially if you want to shoot one vs get a safe queen (seems like an oxymoron when discussing a Makarov - these guns are meant to be shot and treated roughly).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom