• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Don't have a Russian Mak, so this could be my incorrect memory, but aren't the mags for the "military" version different from the commercial? I'm assuming the commercial mags are compatible with East German and Bulgarian Maks. Mags for the Bulgarian Mak are readily found for around $20/each.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Don't have a Russian Mak, so this could be my incorrect memory, but aren't the mags for the "military" version different from the commercial? I'm assuming the commercial mags are compatible with East German and Bulgarian Maks. Mags for the Bulgarian Mak are readily found for around $20/each.

I have a commercial Russian and I don't remember the mags looking any different.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Some imply that, but the book doesn't not clarify military only. Says Russian makarov in 9x18 or something very similar.

Yes, the C&R book is ambiguous
    "Makarov, pistol, Russian and East German, caliber 9mm Makarov. "

The modern ones are made by Baikal or IMEZ.
    They are the model IJ70's and are in the MD handgun roster as such.

One could argue the IJ70 is a copy of the original Makarov.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Looking for advice on picking up a cheaper handgun to dip my foot in the waters of C&R, received my license in the mail yesterday.

I have little knowledge of supply/demand for C&R items and what is a good buy now, like the mosins were a few years ago. I read to pick up a Yugo SKS for a first C&R rifle would be a good idea. The two handguns I was looking at were a Tokarev ($219) and Polish P64 ($229). Also I saw the Tokarev in Romanian at JG and Yugo at Classic for the same price, which is the better deal/recommendation out of the three?
    A place where I see (and have gotten) a bunch of good deals is the gunboards forum trader.

SOG has like new Yugo SKS Rifles that have the log book from the Armory and everything. They might even be unissued. They are on sale for two days for their Christmas sale, just check the home page at Southern Ohio Gun.

Also, try to find a Swiss K31. They are amazing rifles and still reasonably priced. I think the value on them will really jump in the next few years.

They are one of the most well made and accurate bolt actions of that Era.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a commercial Russian and I don't remember the mags looking any different.

My bad then. I thought the military ones had a different grip and slightly larger mag/mag well (and the commercial Russian Makarov had the same mag as the East German and Bulgarian models), but there are so many Russian variants, I wasn't certain.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    My bad then. I thought the military ones had a different grip and slightly larger mag/mag well (and the commercial Russian Makarov had the same mag as the East German and Bulgarian models), but there are so many Russian variants, I wasn't certain.

They did make a commercial model that took double stack mags, but the most common model is identical in design to the military models except the ATF made them put funky adjustable rear sights on for import.

Jul 1, 2012
    "Makarov, pistol, Russian and East German, caliber 9mm Makarov"
    I think the C&R list meant the original "PM" model, not Baikal IJ-70 but I suppose one could argue the point.

SOG's got Romanian Toks with "slightly chipped grips" for less than $200

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I think the C&R list meant the original "PM" model, not Baikal IJ-70 but I suppose one could argue the point.

I bet one could find grips pretty cheap. That's a good deal and those will dissappear from the primary market soon and prices will jump like everything else.

Saw a guy selling a handful of Nagant revolver refurbs for 350 a pop. How things have changed...

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

I'm pretty sure there's a letter from the ATF floating around saying exactly that. The commercial models don't count...

Dec 8, 2016
    Forgive the piggy back

I recently purchased a sw 40 cal. When I purchased it, they put the rail guard in for me. After the 10 day wait, I picked it up. I then pulled the rail back and released it, which popped the rail guard off. Did I break the gun already?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I recently purchased a sw 40 cal. When I purchased it, they put the rail guard in for me. After the 10 day wait, I picked it up. I then pulled the rail back and released it, which popped the rail guard off. Did I break the gun already?

I'm not sure I understand what a rail guard is, can you take a picture?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Step 1: realize this is the C&R (Curio and Relic) section and you posted a non C&R question (I think cause I can't tell you are asking about a C&R gun

Step 2: Post to introductions section

Step 3: Post question with pics into another section (Pistol?)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

Step 1: realize this is the C&R (Curio and Relic) section and you posted a non C&R question (I think cause I can't tell you are asking about a C&R gun

Step 2: Post to introductions section

Step 3: Post question with pics into another section (Pistol?)

I'm not sure that the poster realized what section he was in, and may have intended this to be posted to "handguns". It was his first post, after all, and it does take a minute to figure out how groups work--especially if he's also new to online groups.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Don't have a Russian Mak, so this could be my incorrect memory, but aren't the mags for the "military" version different from the commercial?

You didn't ask but Military Arms Channel just did a review of one of the Polish pistols chambered for the Makarov, the 83 maybe? Anyway those mags are longer and are not interchangeable.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    A place where I see (and have gotten) a bunch of good deals is the gunboards forum trader.

SOG has like new Yugo SKS Rifles that have the log book from the Armory and everything. They might even be unissued. They are on sale for two days for their Christmas sale, just check the home page at Southern Ohio Gun.

Also, try to find a Swiss K31. They are amazing rifles and still reasonably priced. I think the value on them will really jump in the next few years.

They are one of the most well made and accurate bolt actions of that Era.

I joined the gunboards forum and when looking in Trader section, I can look at the posts but can't see any of the pictures, Is there some sort of post minimum like we have for the W/C here or is it because I am on my phone. Any other place I should be looking for better deals then the big dealer prices. Thanks for the input.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I joined the gunboards forum and when looking in Trader section, I can look at the posts but can't see any of the pictures, Is there some sort of post minimum like we have for the W/C here or is it because I am on my phone. Any other place I should be looking for better deals then the big dealer prices. Thanks for the input.

It sounds like you're not logged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom