• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Employees at the UPS stores (independent franchises) tend to be hoplophobic idiots. I had one making up laws, insisting there was a $250,000 fine for shipping any single part of a gun. "Even a single wood screw from the stock?" I asked him. "Yes! Even one screw. You go to jail. It is illegal." He insisted. We went on like that for 20 minutes, he looking with obvious terror at the cardboard box I'd set on his counter.

I took the scary box to the UPS hub off Wilkins Ave, where two very professional women shipped my rifle without batting an eye.

I'll bet your relative is trying to ship from one of those franchise stores. They won't touch anything gun related, but they will get very creative making up laws and regulations out of thin air.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This sounds like one clerk with his head up his butt. You can ship ammo to your house all day long, with NO hazmat fee.
    Now finding the ammo might be a different story.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Thats what I said ....I am trying to get ammo shipped to me and UPS and FedEx are saying they will not ship friend to friend

I was in the UPS hub over in Arbutus (Joh and Vero), and they had a sign that was clearly posted stating that they only ship ORM-D (including ammunition) on a contract basis only. Same is true for chemicals such as bleach and fertilizer. I am not sure if that is a "hub-specific" policy, or if it is a "corporate-wide" UPS policy. But, it is definitely a policy that I have seen before.

Incidentally, I was there picking up an ammo shipment that I had held there rather than have UPS leave it unattended in my apratment building lobby. So they will ship ammo, but this was coming from Natchez, with whom I am sure they have a contract.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    DO NOT SHIP AMMO THROUGH UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE, this is a no no. I have shipped a boat load of ammo person to person. Take it to a UPS hub, write ORM-D on the box or download a pic of the sticker and tape it on. Fed-Ex just sucks, but they will ship it. F-them though.

SVrider

Nov 22, 2008
    St.Louis
    +1

This is the company policy of "The UPS store", a company "not related" to ups. Drop it off at a hub.

BTW USPS, will not ship ammo or guns......just because.

USPS will ship RIFLES not handguns. And yes follow what has been said here. UPS for ammo shipping from a hub only. ORM-D in a square written on the box or with a sticker.

semper000

Mar 24, 2009
    +1

BTW USPS, will not ship ammo or guns......just because.

And yet another reason why our post office continues to become irrelevant. Perhaps they are afraid they may set the ammo off as they drop punt into their delivery truck.

FireEngineer

Feb 11, 2012
    Never had any issues using UPS. I wouldn't trust USPS with ammo simply because they can barely deliver letters on time and unopened.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Please provide the cite. I know of no prohibition for ammo shipments from a UPS Store. Firearms different story.

I have nothing to provide. Only what I've been told at 2 different UPS Stores which was confirmed by a manager at the UPS HUB in Burtonsville. The UPS HUB manager said ammo can only be shipped at the HUB and must be marked with the ORM-D code. There is no additional fee, just the regular shipping charge per size and weight of the package. If you would like, feel free to contact them. What I can tell you is that UPS Stores are privately owned and as such can make up their own rules. One Store may have a different policy than another.

rtodd1586

Sep 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie, Maryland
    Got an update for everyone. I sent an email to "customer service" and the reply confirmed that I shouldnt have an issue getting the ammo shipped.
    (I would attach here but I am posting from my phone) He was at the main hub outside of Columbia, SC. I am going to give them a call and reference the email and the website and see where it goes from there. It sucks that I finally got ammo for a great price and now cant even get it!!

zyo81

Jan 6, 2013
    These people routinely don't know their own rules. Years ago I sold car parts on eBay. I shipped several nitrous oxide kits through ups and FedEx. One day they argued with me saying they wouldn't ship it because it was dangerous. I told them it's not dangerous, they shipped it before. They accused me of lying. I mentioned the tanks were empty anyway as these were brand new kits. Still no dice. So I go back the next day, different counter person. Sent it off with a smile.

PaullySS

Rule#2:The Double Tap
    Jan 31, 2013
    Rockville
    Bought a 1000 rounds from Gunbroker the other week and the ammo will arrive today via FedEX. Might want to tell your buddy to try the Fedex store.

rtodd1586

Sep 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie, Maryland
    We already tried the fedex store they were even worse, saying they got a memo saying MD was not excepting person to person ammo shipments, I asked for that in writing and nothing was provided...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom