I'm so dang smart, sometimes it's scary...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    So I was cleaning up a little and came across a couple of these guitar hangers I had lying around. These are cheap little things you can pick up in a music store to hang guitars on your wall for display and space savings. Then I realized it would also make a great way to store the HD shotgun inside a closet door. I'm so damn smart I can't even stand myself sometimes.:D

Attachments

• shotty1.jpg
      shotty1.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 377
    • shotty2.jpg
      shotty2.jpg
      29.1 KB · Views: 370

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    ewwww cable locks... I have 2 big "U" hooks in my closet and mine sits above the door inside so its out of sight.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Why not stick it over the doorway, horizontally?

A. It's out of reach of small children, so you can dispense with the lock.

B. It's faster to transition to a shooting stance.

C. A+B = much faster readiness, in an emergency.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex

exactly what I did and recommend. A cable lock on a HD gun = HD club

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Anybody who thinks there is such a thing as out of reach of small children has NEVER had small children in their house! They can climb like Monkeys. I watched my friends little boy scale a brick wall to get to where Dad HID the matches to get the fireplace lit. He would have made a rock climber jealous.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Keep them up is not even half the effort. Teaching your kids not to play with them is the real way to do it.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    not hd imho if its locked

But, it's also not a tragedy waiting to happen either with 3 young kids living in the house. Ya gotta make comprimises sometimes since there is no perfect situation.

Also, at night once the kids are asleep, the lock might or might not come off just in case something goes bump in the night. Also, I may (or may not) have a very small handgun in a holster or in the pocket of my gym shorts (read: secured on my person and out of reach of little hands) when I'm putzing around the house which could offer a means to fight my way to the shotgun...

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County

I would but sadly there is duct work in the wall above the doorway of said closet so it will not fit.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Anybody who thinks there is such a thing as out of reach of small children has NEVER had small children in their house! They can climb like Monkeys. I watched my friends little boy scale a brick wall to get to where Dad HID the matches to get the fireplace lit. He would have made a rock climber jealous.

As a father of 5 grown children, I can tell you from experience - there is NO place that children cannot reach!

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County

I've watched my 20 month old son shimmy up the refrigerator to get to something wanted on the counter top next to it. He would grab the door handle with his hands and put his bare feet against the door to climb up like a monkey climbing a coconut tree.

Kotyaer

Jan 14, 2012
    ESVA

Thinking back to some of the things I did as a kid to get to places I shouldn't have been. I was Spider-man... erm, Spider-boy!!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    As a father of 5 grown children,

I only have one (all but grown now). I can also attest, they are crafty little buggers. My son was taught at a young age, guns are NOT toys, nor should he be looking at or touching one unless in my presence.

Great idea on the guitar hook, I'm not a fan of having it OUT and unloaded though (for HD). By the time you have that cable off of there, it could be too late I'm afraid. :o

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    My dad built a room in the basement where he kept all of his tools. My brothers and I figured out we could go in the closet on the other side of the locked room. Climb up the shelves and squeeze between the floor joists and get into the room. Where theres a will theres away.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Everyone keeps posting how kids can get into something. Yes we all know that, but they will not if taught properly. Do you keep your kitchen knives locked up from your kids? Do they play with those? No (at least I hope not). But thats not what this thread was about. I like the idea and I have something similar, but I do not like the the idea of a defensive gun having a lock on it, especially one needing a key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom