Westminster USA

Attachments

• the stupid-it burns.jpg
      the stupid-it burns.jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 228

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Some limited and reasonable form of mandatory training will likely be upheld. If you go back and look at the militia acts of 1792, "training" was envisioned ("well regulated militia" means well trained and disciplined in 1790ese). Now, those acts also envisioned that everyone signed up and reported for exercises too. but, the point of showing up for exercises was to be trained. Those also mandated that you had a rifle, pistol, ammo appropriate for your gun, and powder when you reported.

No, the actual Amendment it just meant capacity to be well functioning.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Then that pretty much refutes those in the thread citing safety training is useless. I see no reason requiring it in school if when at 18, they can buy a firearm w/o training required. Waste of resources. Reading, writing and math don't appear to get enough attention as it is.

The Woodstock is only professing what roughly year after year polls North of 70% nationally promoting mandatory training. No doubt here there is no support. Problem is that word infringement often pounded as some defense, it's not the same as shall make no law to regulate. There are easy ways to make training "quasi mandatory" if the states or feds ever wanted to. Think taxation and exemption. Pay this 50% tax on ammo and/or firearm or get full credit showing a training certificate..

the problem is the OP does not know the constitution and is making an argument for mandatory training and testing on Civics 101, since they make assertions that are not true

My grandfather came from another country, learned English, took his citizenship test and became a citizen after about 7 years. BUT he later brought over his aged mother, who was illiterate. She was old and not going to get a job so he secured for her permanent residency, NOT citizenship. She never had any schooling, never had any "training" in anything to do with the first amendment.

She had FULL 100% first amendment rights (so did my grandfather before he learned English and became a citizen) just like anyone who is a citizens, OR any NON citizen in the US has.

The OP erects a half dozen "straw man" arguments like this. they are either not true (education mandatory for first amendment) or not analogous.

As far as polls on mandatory training, they rely on confusion between carry and say ownership for home defense.

When we can find a poll that asks about whether you should have to spend $300 on training to own or have access and use of a gun at home to defend your home, I bet it is south of 50%.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Just so ya'll know - OP is deliberately putting out provocative threads and statements solely to gauge the responses for rhetorical purposes.

It's worth letting people know that they are being sucked into an academic circle jerk by someone who let me know that he thinks this community basically sucks.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Just so ya'll know - OP is deliberately putting out provocative threads and statements solely to gauge the responses for rhetorical purposes.

It's worth letting people know that they are being sucked into an academic circle jerk by someone who let me know that he thinks this community basically sucks.

Seems misdirected. Any idea what's really got him so ratcheted?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Norton just remove the smoking emoji for 30 days. I don't think he can live without the smoking emoji.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    This is one of those things that sound reasonable until you stop and think about it. Should training be required before allowing you to enjoy any of the bill of rights? Or before being allowed to be a citizen even if you were born here? I'd argue training needs to be completed and passed before allowing people to vote given the politicians we have in office. Even more training should you run for office.

But all the training in the world doesn't fix stupid. It just becomes an economic and political bar to entry.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you go back and look at the militia acts of 1792, "training" was envisioned ... Now, those acts also envisioned that everyone signed up and reported for exercises too. but, the point of showing up for exercises was to be trained. ....

"...the point of showing up for exercises drill was to be trained drill."

Fixed it for you.

Just to clarify real quick, drill consisted of learning to march together, transition from column to line, face about, run away, etc. It was not to shoot guns.

Even Regular soldiers rarely fired guns until they went into battle. Wasting powder and ball like that was universally inconceivable. Soldiers drilled. Drill drill drill. Drill some more.

Drill, baby, drill.

Even during the Civil War, we see the universal experience of the new Volunteers in the Camps of Instruction was drill, drill, drill, military discipline, drill, and more drill. Then they went off to battle, often having never fired their guns before.

The Militia Acts of 1792 provide precedent for conscription, the Draft. They provide precedent for requiring able bodied adults to maintain "military-grade weapons," and I don't see Frosh or the Moms Not Getting Enough Action pushing that point.

I don't see the Militia Acts providing precedent for anything we would recognize as training.

(A bit academic anyway. The Militia Acts were universally ignored. No one ever enforced them.)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This is one of those things that sound reasonable until you stop and think about it. Should training be required before allowing you to enjoy any of the bill of rights? ...

That's why literacy tests and poll taxes were outlawed: They were never more than Jim Crow racist methods to prevent blacks from voting.

In exactly that way the HQL is nothing but a blatant method to suppress civil rights by erecting onerous barriers to "the free exercise thereof."

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

And he is preaching his bilge and bile to unsuspecting newbs and neophytes.

Maybe Woodstock needs to hanging out with Mas and his other cool friends since MDS isn’t good enough for him any more.

Definitely does not need to be an IP since it’s such a big loss for him and he has ensured himself no future students or recommendations from the MDS community.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Maybe he should just go away. Looks like the community basically thinks he sucks. Hope the name of his business gets out there.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

He wasted alot of time and words on people he thinks suck.

Dick move.

Thanks for the info.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If I remember right some high schools around the nation have or they had a rifle competition shooting team. I wonder if this is still around at all? Give the left liberals a major headache on this one...

There was a thread some time ago about Loyola University looking for a shooting coach. A liberal school like Loyola having a shooting club is a model that all schools could use. Competitive shooting is for all not just conservatives. Just like gun ownership isn't just for conservatives. In my experience, there are a ton of liberals who own firearms. Since their liberal views are usually social or financial, gun ownership doesn't get talked about very much.

I was a member of a hunting club years ago. Out of the 12 members, there were only 3 true conservatives, with the rest being registered dems. All 9 of them owned more than just hunting rifles/shotguns. Some were as serious about gun rights as the 3 of us. But the rest were liberal in their views on the rest of the world.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom