• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The longer barrel just gives you more fps for longer range shots. If you don't consider yourself a good 300 - 400 yard shooter, then get the shorter barrel. The shorter barrel is more than acceptable for normal ranges shooting.

My daughter got one of the palmetto uppers in 6.5 and shot her first buck with it. She shot low and barely clipped his lungs and he only went 10'. That bullet is screaming out that barrel and the shock split his heart from the bottom and almost to the top. Speed definitely kills!

I picked up a ruger american predator in 6.5 grendel for my son last weekend. Plan to use it to teach him to shoot out to 500yds he has gotten pretty good with his 223 out to 300. Doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was I'm looking for uppers and it doesn't seem that compass lake or white oak offer 6.5grendel. Is Alexander arms the next best choice for this caliber? I really just want a of the shelf upper I can make hits on a 10" gong & 500yds. Palmetto state armory and grendel hunter have uppers anybody have one of those?
    The video in post #4 is a 20" PSA upper. They are on sale right now for $399 w/BCG and CH.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Just got a 6 arc upper. So far I like it. Shot a 198 at 600 yards on a high power target. Hoping to try some 109 Bergers this weekend.
    I like the 6mm ARC round. It's a little faster generally speaking than a 6.5 Grendel and has a little more kinetic energy downrange. But the 6.5 Grendel is also a good choice.

I like the 6mm ARC round. It's a little faster generally speaking than a 6.5 Grendel and has a little more kinetic energy downrange.
    I was talking to @MeatGrinder yesterday about fad calibers. The 6mm ARC surely has its pluses, but for me, it is too new and doesn't have enough of a following for me to think it is here to say. I recall @Ammo Jon saying he couldn't sell .45 GAP at below dealer cost. I believe folks who own a .45 GAP will have expensive paperweights 10yrs from now.
    Most will agree that everyone who shoots a 6.5 Grendel falls in love. If factory ammo was widely available and inexpensive, I believe it would be the #2 AR round on the market.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I was talking to @MeatGrinder yesterday about fad calibers. The 6mm ARC surely has its pluses, but for me, it is too new and doesn't have enough of a following for me to think it is here to say. I recall @Ammo Jon saying he couldn't sell .45 GAP at below dealer cost. I believe folks who own a .45 GAP will have expensive paperweights 10yrs from now.
    Most will agree that everyone who shoots a 6.5 Grendel falls in love. If factory ammo was widely available and inexpensive, I believe it wou I might consider it.ld be the #2 AR round on the market.
    I agree with your assessment of the .45 GAP. Now, if the price of 6.5 Grendel ammo was reasonable it would be a real winner.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    For hunting dear 200 - 300 yds in an 18” is ample barrel length for velocity. You can load 129 ABLR or even Berger 135 hunters. At these hunting ranges you can retain enough energy and velocity. Example Berger 135 Classic Hunter. Velocity rather low at 2,350 at muzzle but high enough BC bullet so that at sea level 300 yds you have 1,948 fps and 1,138 ft lbs.

In comparison a 6mm ARC 18” barrel , firing a 115 Berger VLD at say 2,520 fps at 300 yds is 2,089 fps and 1,115 ft lbs. So unless you are sitting on 6 mm bullets, I would still go with Grendel. Size matters at our practical hunting ranges.

There is just not enough difference to make me think the 6mm ARC is superior to the Grendel. Now as far as 22 ARC is concerned for varmiting, the 22 ARC makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom