• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I'm looking at Atheris. It seems nearly all barrel are stainless steel. After reading the difference and admitting to myself that I will not likely ever be able to shoot enough to absolutely need carbon steel. I'm ok with it. Though I will want the barrel ceracoated to hide the shine. I'm torn between a more manageable 18" and the more accurate 20". Probably 18" as I'm not good enough to tell the difference. And fluted to ease the weight. Then I need to find the big mags and stockpile ammo. Probably Hornady.

Any thoughts?

I'm looking at Atheris. It seems nearly all barrel are stainless steel. After reading the difference and admitting to myself that I will not likely ever be able to shoot enough to absolutely need carbon steel. I'm ok with it. Though I will want the barrel ceracoated to hide the shine. I'm torn between a more manageable 18" and the more accurate 20". Probably 18" as I'm not good enough to tell the difference. And fluted to ease the weight. Then I need to find the big mags and stockpile ammo. Probably Hornady.

Any thoughts?
    If you're staying under 400yds, the stainless 18" will be fine.
    Everyone who shoots the Grendel falls in love with it. The downside is ammo isn't cheap and can be tricky to find. I highly advise you consider taking up reloading to get the most out of your Grendel.
    Check out Druid Hill Armory for loaded ammo. They sell it with Starline brass (great brass) for a decent price.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    6.5 Grendel is not a speed demon. Extra barrel length helps squeeze out as much as you can.

Fun caliber for reloaders, but not as good if you have to rely on factory ammo (limited selection and kinda pricey.) Used to be cheap Russian steel case available.

CPD mags work well for me.

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys

Any thoughts?
    Longer barrels are not more inherently accurate. If your worried about going with the 20" barrel for the extra performance in muzzle velocity, the 6mm ARC is an awesome little round. It uses most of the same components except the barrel obviously.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Just got a 6 arc upper. So far I like it. Shot a 198 at 600 yards on a high power target. Hoping to try some 109 Bergers this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_2410.jpeg
      IMG_2410.jpeg
      365.9 KB · Views: 34

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I picked up a ruger american predator in 6.5 grendel for my son last weekend. Plan to use it to teach him to shoot out to 500yds he has gotten pretty good with his 223 out to 300. Doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was I'm looking for uppers and it doesn't seem that compass lake or white oak offer 6.5grendel. Is Alexander arms the next best choice for this caliber? I really just want a of the shelf upper I can make hits on a 10" gong & 500yds. Palmetto state armory and grendel hunter have uppers anybody have one of those?

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I built one and love it. Changed out my barrel from BSF carbon fiber to Odin Works. Only because the BSF with gas block was too thick for my rail and gas block was hitting it. Instead of getting the larger rail (i love my BCM), I went with the smaller diameter barrel. Selling the BSF now if you're interested. Very low round count through it.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    6.5 Grendel is an awesome cartridge. I have a 20" and 24" upper I share with a lower receiver group. Hard to say where to get it. Since my first AR in 2012. I have built everything, mostly complete rifles. Just depends on your philosophy of use. If it's mainly punching paper at extended ranges, there are better options within these PPC based cartridges. 6 mm ARC , and now 22 ARC. The 6.5 is the most versatile in this family, very accurate, good bullet selection, with a lot more if you hand load. The 6mm ARC is comparable to the 6.5 with a slight advantage at longer ranges because of higher velocities with equal or better BC bullets. Can be used for hunting out to 400 like the 6.5 but I prefer heavier bullets. For the ultimate papper puncher and varmiter round in this cartridge family, the 22 ARC is the top of that food chain. Right now it's just getting started, so limited loadings and getting a hold of components is an issue with reloading.

So for me, once you made that decision, the barrel is everything, good barrels, Wilson Combat, Odin works, White Oak, Black Hole Weaponry, McGowen Precision, X Caliber, Satern. Get an appropriate bolt or BCG. then get a decent upper reciever , Aero Precision my choice, and hand guard.

If you're just getting an assembled upper, I would go with Odin Works, Wilson Combat , Satern or Faxon. There are other options as well, but price will vary, in most cases, the price will reflect levels of a quality. I prefer building though, in the end it's 100% yours.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I was actually looking at Faxon for a Grendel build. 18” is good enough for me. Any thoughts on Faxon type II?

I don't know yet, but I opted to build a 6.5 creed with Faxon Match barrel and bcg. I did buy the JP enhanced extractor for the BCG since I've read about some stories with the Faxon extractor. Based on my overall impression, I think they are solid enough to give a shot. Build isn't done yet, but looking forward to testing them out.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I don't know yet, but I opted to build a 6.5 creed with Faxon Match barrel and bcg. I did buy the JP enhanced extractor for the BCG since I've read about some stories with the Faxon extractor. Based on my overall impression, I think they are solid enough to give a shot. Build isn't done yet, but looking forward to testing them out.
    Thanks! Good advice

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Had to go check the stats on the six before saying something completely uninformed. I still prefer the Grendel because of the bigger bullet. It feels like a more functional choice than going for the 458 socom. At this time. Still have a bit of an issue with the 5.56 being so tiny. I'd like to try building but the reality is I don't have the room or it would be full of reloading stuff. I've been hearing some things about Wilson Combat and that Bear Creek is a better choice. But BC is often listen at the bottom of the "5 Best" lists. https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-6-5-grendel-uppers/ I very much like the options on the Atheris. A "sniper" rifle should have a 20" barrel. But this rifle is mostly to fit the role of "more power and range". Which is why I'm thinking the 18" is enough. Like the SDMR or better for deer hunting if necessary.

Had to go check the stats on the six before saying something completely uninformed. I still prefer the Grendel because of the bigger bullet. It feels like a more functional choice than going for the 458 socom. At this time. Still have a bit of an issue with the 5.56 being so tiny. I'd like to try building but the reality is I don't have the room or it would be full of reloading stuff. I've been hearing some things about Wilson Combat and that Bear Creek is a better choice. But BC is often listen at the bottom of the "5 Best" lists. https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-6-5-grendel-uppers/ I very much like the options on the Atheris. A "sniper" rifle should have a 20" barrel. But this rifle is mostly to fit the role of "more power and range". Which is why I'm thinking the 18" is enough. Like the SDMR or better for deer hunting if necessary.
    6.5 Grendel and .458 SOCOM aren't even in the same stadium. I can shoot hundreds of 6.5G rounds, but with a .458 SOCOM I would get to maybe 40rds before calling it a day.
    Bear Creek is totally a hit or miss purchase. I bought a .450 BM upper out of the classifieds here and it shoots 1" groups @100yds and functions as it should. There are lots of stories about their uppers being sent back for warranty work over and over again.
    I'm not telling you what to do, but I have gone this route and have been very happy,

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm sure the Atheris will do nicely. Also, might as well go with an 18" barrel for a gas gun. If you want a 20 or longer then get a bolt action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom