• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    This is my grandfather's sporterized 1903. I don't think he thought of it as "sporterizing" when he had this done. I think he looked at is as a cost effective way of acquiring a good hunting rifle. As near as my Mom remembers she thinks he had this done around the mid '50's. His name and address are engraved on the bottom plate. He passed away before I was born, and this is one of the few heirlooms I have from him. To me it's priceless.

Attachments

• 1903.jpg
      1903.jpg
      24.6 KB · Views: 128

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't like to see firearms Bubba'd and that is a beautiful rifle. I think what people fail to grasp is that unless they are a gunsmith like your uncle, for the cost to get to something even half as nice, you are going to be spending well over the cost of a good rifle. Add to that what you could have gotten if you'd sold the original piece to a collector and you're out some significant money.

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    Beautiful work of art, and to people who dispise sporterized rifles wait 30 yrs then we can all complain about all the absurd ar's and polymer stocked ak's. when you used to be able to go to a gun store and pick through crates of cheap milsurp rifles who wouldn't want to make them more customized to particular tastes. Now that untouched versions are rare of course that's what people want.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A true exhibition of talent and skill.

OP, it'd almost be a shame NOT to shoot that rifle at least once.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    A little update. Found some PPU 7mm Mauser ammo and was able to put some rounds through it. First impressions were that this thing is FREAKING AWESOME!!! I worked on getting the scope on target at 50 yards it was practically putting shots through the same hole. I had to stop after a little bit though due to rain however. When I get the time later this week i'm going to try it at 100 yards. Only "issue" (if you can even call it that) I have with it is that he used a M1893 action. Its a little rough on the hand trying to close a spoon shaped bolt handle when the rifle cocks on closing.

Man I wish I could keep this thing. I'm going to have to work something out with my uncle

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom