• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I understand that sporter projects are against what we C&R collectors believe in, but I figured this has a place here in some respects, (I don't intend for the purpose of this thread to turn into a Sporter bashing/argument filled thread). I usually despise any and all forms of Sporterized Milsurp rifles but this one seems to be different to me.

My grandfather's uncle was a master Gunsmith according to what my family has told me, he had a large collection of rifles that he either handmade or improved upon. Unfortunately for us, this was during the "golden age" of Milsurp collecting, so a lot of cheap military rifles ended up as projects for him. This happens to be one of them.

What used to be a Spanish 7mm Mauser (M1916 short rifle?) has been turned into a work of art. He hand carved and checkered the stock from a blank of wood, and finished it to a degree that I would say rivals any other stock I have seen on another sporter rifle. He drilled and tapped it for a scope, but also tapped it for a rear peep sight. The gun has been polished and reblued and he converted the bolt handle to a "spoon" shape.

I believe he passed away soon after he finished this and it has not been shot in the 35+ years since it was completed. I have it on loan from my uncle, who isn't a shooter or collector so he never had an interest in shooting it. I'm going to try and find a box of 7mm Mauser today and hopefully be able to put some rounds through it. Again, I apologize if it offends anyone, but I figured if anyone can appreciate a good rifle, its you guys.

Attachments

• DSCN2569.jpg
      DSCN2569.jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 589
    • DSCN2570.jpg
      DSCN2570.jpg
      59.5 KB · Views: 587
    • DSCN2571.jpg
      DSCN2571.jpg
      68.7 KB · Views: 590
    • DSCN2572.jpg
      DSCN2572.jpg
      67.9 KB · Views: 588
    • DSCN2573.jpg
      DSCN2573.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 588

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    More pics.

Attachments

• DSCN2575.jpg
      DSCN2575.jpg
      39.6 KB · Views: 585
    • DSCN2577.jpg
      DSCN2577.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 578
    • DSCN2578.jpg
      DSCN2578.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 585
    • DSCN2579.jpg
      DSCN2579.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 581
    • DSCN2580.jpg
      DSCN2580.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 587
    • DSCN2581.jpg
      DSCN2581.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 583
    • DSCN2582.jpg
      DSCN2582.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 580

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    That's awesome. It's possible to have a sincere appreciation of sporters without making any more. I think that's where I fit it. This is not anywhere near as nice as yours, but here is a 1903a3 sporter that I restored.

Before:

DSC00209.JPG

After:

DSC00552crop.jpg

What surprised me most is this thing is still sup MOA at 200 yards (the farthest I've shot it so far.....)

Who else has pretty sporters out there?

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    Let me start off by saying that I absolutely despise seeing old guns get hacked up and turned into POS sporterized garbage. It makes me cringe.

With that said, that rife is absolutely gorgeous! I was expecting to see some ungodly bubba job but damn that is a fine looking rifle!

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Well, you need a time machine or really good luck to find a Bishop stock like that. Nice old girl, back when a Smith had skill over just replacing parts.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks everybody, Its a shame we didn't end up with more of his rifles, when he died (a while before I was born) most of his machine shop tools, and firearms collection went to his kids who promptly sold them.

We only ended up with 3. This rifle, a Mexican Mauser he converted into a .308 bench rifle with a huge bull barrel and his last, uncompleted project which he gave to my grandfather who gave it to me, a semi-sporterized Type 38 Arisaka he fitted with a German MG08 Machinegun barrel, a project that I intend to finish myself.

Too bad I'll have to give it back to my Uncle at some point, since he doesn't really shoot or collect, maybe i'll try and buy it off him or something.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I agree with others, not a fan of sporterized milsurp's.
    That being said, that rifle is not what I call Bubba'd, it is very nicely done. If I had it with the family history, it would have a special place in my collection to be passed down and not sold outside of the family. You should try to get it from your uncle, and stress how much you appreciate it for the family history and craftsmanship associated with it. Thanks for sharing.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm digging the left-handed stock. Reminds me that I need to post photos of my NM Krag with the same left-handed setup.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    First of all, I'll say that I love seeing, fondling, owning and especially shooting Mil-Surps.

OP: that rifle that you posted is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

With that said, I HATE seeing something "Bubba'd"!!!!!!!
    I truly despise seeing someone hack up a military stock to turn it into a deer/elk/bear rifle.

IMNSHO, If someone has a Mil-Surp that is a pieced-together 'parts gun', then it is exempt from being 'held' as a true collectable.
    (Such as my Russian Captured K98k rifles. None of them are 'complete' rifles.
    They are all a 'mish-mash' of thrown together parts.)

Yes, they are valuable to me, but, not necessarily anyone else.

I have an Arisaka that my Dad brought home and the only part of it that isn't complete, is the "Mum" was ground off.
    The barrel looks like a sewer pipe.
    Dad always talked about (his words) "boring it out to thutty-ought-six." (Even thought the bore is larger than '06 to begin with!)

Since Dad has passed, I've considered having it re-barreled to '06, but, more and more, I do believe that I'm going to leave it alone.
    That was his hopes and desires, for his souvenir of his service.

Sorry for rambling on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom