• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you have the time and patience, a Howa bolt action receiver is available from Brownell's. Get the barrel profile that you want, and the stock that you want, and you'll have a complete rifle. If you get an AR-10, you'll blow through that ammo you have in a week.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I know people who can fix that weakness.
    Years ago myself and three friends spent three glorious days with Ed Shell down in Virginia. I liken it to learning from the Yoda of rifle shooting/knowledge. That man has forgotten more about the science of shooting than I’ll ever know. It was both fascinating and humbling at the same time. Sadly, life got in the way and shooting is definitely a perishable skill. Trying to get back into more consistently, but that’s 100% on me.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Have the 308. It’s only weakness is me.
    The HMO Pro is a top shelf match rifle compared to my B-14 Ridge hunting rifle. Even so, Bergara guarantees sub MOA for the B-14 Ridge, and I did get sub MOA groups but only shot it at 100 yards. I like the adjustable comb on the HMO Pro which is nice if you are going to use a scope with a large bell. If I were to get another 308 bolt gun, that model would be on the short list.

Someone also mentioned Tikka. Like Bergara they have various models at different price points.

Not much love for the Remington 700? Winchester 70?

EDIT: Speaking of Howa, how about Weatherby Vanguard? They use How actions.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Years ago myself and three friends spent three glorious days with Ed Shell down in Virginia. I liken it to learning from the Yoda of rifle shooting/knowledge. That man has forgotten more about the science of shooting than I’ll ever know. It was both fascinating and humbling at the same time. Sadly, life got in the way and shooting is definitely a perishable skill. Trying to get back into more consistently, but that’s 100% on me.
    Yep. Ed is the man. A couple of the guys I shoot with used to shoot F Class with him. First time I saw him was at ASC. His daughter is a killer shot, too. A pink stock on a .243 IIRC.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    If you have the time and patience, a Howa bolt action receiver is available from Brownell's. Get the barrel profile that you want, and the stock that you want, and you'll have a complete rifle. If you get an AR-10, you'll blow through that ammo you have in a week.
    I am assuming Brownells is the exclusive seller of Howa actions in the US?
    I am only seeing "Barreled actions".
    I would a little more variety in barrels,, 18-20 inch fluted :)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The HMO Pro is a top shelf match rifle compared to my B-14 Ridge hunting rifle. Even so, Bergara guarantees sub MOA for the B-14 Ridge, and I did get sub MOA groups but only shot it at 100 yards. I like the adjustable comb on the HMO Pro which is nice if you are going to use a scope with a large bell. If I were to get another 308 bolt gun, that model would be on the short list.

Someone also mentioned Tikka. Like Bergara they have various models at different price points.

Not much love for the Remington 700? Winchester 70?

EDIT: Speaking of Howa, how about Weatherby Vanguard? They use How actions.

Weatherby Vanguard rifles do indeed use actions made by Howa in Japan. They've been made for over 50 years now, in a dizzying variety of models and chamberings. I have a walnut stocked Sporter in .22-250 that legitimately shoots within their .999 MOA guarantee, at least with my handloads. I also have an older Weatherby Lazerguard in .30-06, which was essentially a polished blue Vanguard action married to a high grade walnut Weatherby stock. I bought mine used from a shop, as I think the original owner probably saw it as strictly a safe queen. But at one time at least, I believe that Cabela's had an exclusive on the Lazerguard model. Now out of production, it's truly a great looking rifle IMO, and it shoots well also. When they were being made, they'd make one wonder why American manufacturers couldn't produce a rifle like that anymore, short of having a sky high price. They were IMO, one of the last of an era of beautiful walnut and mirror polished bluing to be found in this country to be available at an everyman's price point. But, they were foreign made.

There are millions of Remington 700's out there. IMO, their older examples tend to be their better rifles. I have a late 1960's 700 Varmint that will shoot a cut above most anything else I own. And a Sporter weight 1980's BDL in .243 Winchester that shoots well also, though (no surprise) it can't run with the Varmint.

The legendary pre-64 Winchester Model 70 has long been revered, and rightfully so. But good examples are increasingly pricey. In current production, Winchester is also making a wide variety of rifles. At twice a Vanguard price point, the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade is a fine rifle.
    It too is a throwback to an era when American manufacturers could and would marry fine walnut (or maple) with deeply blued and polished steel. Today in such a rifle, you're either buying used, or you have a very deep wallet, or you're inclined not to necessarily dismiss overseas manufacture.

Winchester Super Grades are today made in Portugal. As unappealing as that may sound, pick up a Super Grade, and the first thing you'll likely notice is checkering sharp enough that it feels like it might cut your hand. It is more than a little amazing (and more than a bit sad too I'd suggest), that an overseas Portuguese manufacturing plant can produce a product that is arguably superior in fit and function, to what used to come out of New Haven.

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Our mutual friend's HK91T farts in your general direction!

That is a sweet rifle, though.

Bwaaahhahahahahahaha!!

I will say, the HK is primo!!

To quote Ferris Bueller:
    "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Bwaaahhahahahahahaha!!

I will say, the HK is primo!!

To quote Ferris Bueller:
    "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
    I've only ever seen two of the hk91t variants sold. He owns one. I've never even held a psg1, let alone gotten to shoot one.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I have my M1A Scout and thanks to the MGA, I'm glad I got it when I did.

If I was looking to replace it, I would stay with a Scout rifle setup.

Most likely a Mossberg MVP or Savage due to costs.

The Steyr and Ruger Gunsite are great but too nice and pricey for a battle rattle/ truck gun.

Last edited:

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I'd want the AR. I don't burn through many rnds with them because being kicked by .308 isn't like a 5.56. While I'd like a bolt rifle in .308 since I have the ammo. I'd rather have one in 7mm mag or .300 win mag.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Of your choices
    HOWA...

Other than that
    M1A, Krieger barrel
    Older Rem 700 Action Bartlein barrel

Old 700 action Hart barrel, done by Dick Poole long ago.

Grins and all
    HK-91 HK mount Zeiss glass

-Rock

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Our mutual friend's HK91T farts in your general direction!

That is a sweet rifle, though.
    rifle-308-ptr91-GI.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom