• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    This thread is giving me flashbacks and makes me glad I no longer work at a gun store.

Unfortunately the dumbest things I remember hearing were said by coworkers! !

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    I was in dsg and a guy pulls out a very real looking revolver bb gun from his trousers and asks if the clerk has ammo for this.

Then asks if they sell holsters.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    It was years ago, but I remember overhearing a conversation in the K-Mart in Westminster (back when there was such a thing) where some whack-a-doodle was asking all sorts of questions about the different kinds of .22lr ammo they carried. The clerk asked what he wanted to use it for and the response was.... "I want to drop a deer or two". Ummmm... ok then.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    He is too busy advocating more laws because they don't enforce the ones already on the books!:sad20:

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    This is the first internet thread I've ever read in its entirety. Lol. Now, My story:

When I was about 14ish it was time for my father to upgrade me to a 12 ga. I had already had a .410 and 20ga for quite some time, along with a .30-30 and .22. We go in walmart and are preparing to buy a 12 ga 870. My father explains to the guy that it's for me, and I'm getting about old enough for a bigger shotgun.

The clerk congratulates me. Then adds, that in a few years I'll be old enough for a real mans shotgun. He prefers a 20 gauge to the 12. You can really feel a 20 gauge push you in the shoulder, and it has so much more range. My father looked at me with his eyebrow cocked, and we stood silently as he gloated about his 20 gauges superiority for the remainder of the transaction.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    Oh, and one that's not an all time classic, but it happened like last week in 2A. I was in there complaining about a rifle that Mark had not sold me, but he was patiently listening and I needed to vent. A guy walks in, says he's going deer hunting saturday (I believe it was wednesday or thurs, but it was mid week already.) "I need a semi automatic 12 gauge with a fully rifled barrel and a box of slugs." I was already angry and feeling bad for not buying anything but complaining, so I picked up a couple boxes of blackout for Mark's time and rolled out, but I was very curious how that transaction ended. Either way, I'm sure the deer are very safe, as no way that thing was gonna be zeroed, or he had any experience whatsoever.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    As many of you know, the AGC sponsors Hunter Sight-ins at the range. It was a few years ago and I happened to be on the range when a guy shows up with a rifle still in the taped box (sales receipt from Dick's taped on it).

He comes over to the bench where the sight-ins were being conducted, asked to be put on the list. When asked what type of firearm was he using, he just showed us the box and a handful of mis-matched (in caliber) cartridges that a friend had given him.

Needless to say, we spent a lot of time educating the would-be hunter on the need to make sure you have the right ammo for your gun.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Either way, I'm sure the deer are very safe, as no way that thing was gonna be zeroed, or he had any experience whatsoever.

I have a property where I could hunt deer with a spear they are so oblivious.
    Last week, I went to zero the iron sights on my rifled shotgun before I stick a scope on it. First shot at 25yrds made the hole right where I pointed it. A couple more at 50 and 75 and I decided to call it a day as it was 'minute of deer' accurate right out of the box. No need to waste any more money and shoulder meat from there.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I have a property where I could hunt deer with a spear they are so oblivious.
    Last week, I went to zero the iron sights on my rifled shotgun before I stick a scope on it. First shot at 25yrds made the hole right where I pointed it. A couple more at 50 and 75 and I decided to call it a day as it was 'minute of deer' accurate right out of the box. No need to waste any more money and shoulder meat from there.

Well..., I'm still mostly confident they're very safe. Lol

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Bass Pro seems to have a few people in the firearms department who are ultra conservative about Maryland laws. I dropped by at lunch time a while back and asked to see a handgun in the display case. I was told that he could not take it out it unless I could show him my HQL, because allowing me to hold it would constitute a transfer. There are too many firearms dealers in the area for me to tolerate that kind of stupidity.

They are still doing this.

Last Saturday I popped in after going to the bank. While perusing the handgun counter a lady and her husband had their number called and told the female sales person that they were looking for a handgun for HD and wanted to look at a Taurus something or other. The clerk asked the lady if she had her HQL, which she did, and then asked her husband for his before she would pull it out of the case...

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    They are still doing this.

Last Saturday I popped in after going to the bank. While perusing the handgun counter a lady and her husband had their number called and told the female sales person that they were looking for a handgun for HD and wanted to look at a Taurus something or other. The clerk asked the lady if she had her HQL, which she did, and then asked her husband for his before she would pull it out of the case...

Shakespeare had it right: first kill all the lawyers.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I'll tell my story from my ignorant days. I was issued a Colt 6920 in 2007. My Dad and I went to one of the Silverado gun shows at the show plac area in 2008-2009 maybe. We stopped at the Gun rack table and saw another 6920 with LE roll marks. I pointed it out to my Dad and swore it could be the same gun as I carried because of the LE roll marks. The guy manning the table looked funny. I am not that ignorant now.

That same day I saw a Mossberg pistol grip shotgun with a 50 BMG muzzle break. I asked same guy what the muzzle break was for. He just said its a muzzle break. I said I know but why is it on this shotgun. We both looked at each other funny and I just walked away.

Its 2014, I have built one AR15 from parts and planning to built a AR15 SBR. I understand why the muzzle break was on the shotgun... its because chicks dig it!

See I am not as ignorant now.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I was in the Walmart in Cambridge Saturday dickering around in the fishing area and partially overheard the following.
    "I was just released from the hospital where I was voluntarily admitted for psych care after having an issue with my wife. I wasn't taking my meds but now I am. They put me back on them while I was in the hospital voluntarily. I want to know if I can buy a gun today or am I going to be flagged?"

He was very anxious in his speech and wearing duck boots with shorts. He was making the sales lady very uncomfortable and kept repeating his questions and the vague story of how he was hospitalized.

That had to have been a 60 Minutes / Dateline crew.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Another customer rant.

This past weekend we had a gentleman walk into the store saying he wanted to buy a handgun. We showed him some handguns and explained to him the HQL process.
    He leans over the counter and whispers, "I have a felony arrest but they still let me buy guns." What!!! LOL, we told him sorry but we cannot sell him a firearm and he continues with, "I have cash. Can we work out a deal (wink wink)? SMDH! Told him sorry, but BUH BYE! LOL.

Same weekend a kid comes into the shop saying he makes over $100K because he is a rapper who owns his own label and needs something to protect his home. Again, we explain the HQL and application process. He asks if we have any of the bullets that disintegrate once it enters the body. We politely tell him no we do not and have not heard of them. He says he wants to get some because he has expensive couches in his home and do not want to mess them up with blood just in case he has to shoot someone. ?!?! SMH again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom