• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    I would be laughing at this had not an almost identical thing happened to me.

Turns out, the dog took a direct hit from a skunk, and ran in the house. We did not realize he'd been shot because he is tan-ish yellow and we didnt' see the mark. So we searched all over and couldn't find the source of the smell. It was so powerful, it was blinding. So finally, after searching the whole house for the source of the smell that seemed to move around, we calld the FD. It was about 1am. Really, I thought that insuation was burning or we had an electrical fire somewhere or something. I checked the attic and everything looking for smoke or other signs but couldn't find anything.

The thing is, that skunk smell can be so strong and pungent, that you'd swear that something was burning. In the proper concentration, it goes far, faaaaar beyond "Pee Yew" to the point where your eyes water, you can't see and it's hard to breathe because you're gagging and coughing so much. Seriously, I cannot convey in words the power of that odor. It does NOT smell like a skunk smells when you pass a dead one on the road.

So the FD shows up, and they can't even stay in the house for more than a couple minutes, the smell is so bad. And they were wearing oxygen masks. That's how bad it was. They used their little "dangerous gas detector" thing, and determined that it wasn't a health risk.

So after they left, and we had all the windows open, we were sitting on the couch, and the dog walks up with this big sh*t eating grin on his face, sits down, and then I see it. A big yellow spot, dead center on his chest. Immediately I knew what the smell was.

It took months to get the smell out of the house and the car (where we put the dog when the FD showed up), and the dog smelled like skunk when he got wet for more than a year after that.

Anyways, that's my skunk story. :)

Playing with fire...Mama could be watching?

Attachments

• skunks.jpg
      skunks.jpg
      85.1 KB · Views: 1,278

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I like it when Walmart employees asking you if your 22LR is for a pistol or rifle.

DOH!

pay cash & answer rifle.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

The last few times I bought handgun ammo at Wal Mart, I wasn't asked anything, not even ID.

Except...

the last time I bought a rated R movie at Wal-Mart, a month ago, I was carded for ID to verify age.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I was at a shop today and observed a young man and his mother shopping for his first handgun. The young man identified himself as 23 yrs old so the shop employee asked him what he wanted to see. The young man chose the lowest cost gun in the case, a Hi-Point .380. He fondled it for a few minutes before asking the employee in all seriousness if they make bullets that shoot in it.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    So a guy walk in to the store, he is pretty average looking 20 somthing looking no big deal. He seems ok he asks to see a Ar-15. no big deal . I make it safe hand it over .
    this dude starts to tell me how when he was in the jungle he killed lot's of people with one of these, but his was " full spray " he could kill a "mofo" at a 1000 yards on "full spray" now it's me this wack job and two of our colorful locals in the store so this guy is kinda just talking to everyone and no one.

Ok I am use to assholes, I will play. So buddy I guess you were in the army huh?
    No man I was a mercury! Yes he said that.
    I say So you worked for an ftd florest?
    no man I was a mercury I was a paid killer!!! ( in his best yo g thug voice)
    I guess you mean mercenary there young fella??
    No man I was a killa a mercury
    Ok junior play time is over give me the rifle back!

he hands me the rifle back and give me a little attitude. I ask if there is any thing else I can help him with.

"yea, man I need a 100 caliber sniper rifle"
    we don't sell those.
    " oh what you don't want me to get some serious fire power"
    at this point the other two guys in the store are all but rolling on the floor and snorting like pigs.

The young soldier for hire, now is getting a little frisky and say's what you don't think I can have a gun I am off probation I can buy what ever I want.
    ( yes he said that)

How much weed were you carring when they locked you up Scarface?
    ( yes I said that)

No man I had 4 pounds of coke and a rocket launcher.

I think you might want to check with the state police before you try and buy a gun.

No man I can get what ever I want, hel lif you had a mac 50 I would buy that right now and leave with it.

Ok boss, well you just told me you were locked up for some pretty serious stuff. I think you should leave the store.

"you throwing me out "

no I am asking you to leave so you don't get yourself in trouble

F U man I could buy this right now and shoot you with it!!!

after a short chuckle...

Junior, my gun is loaded and so is the two cops sitting next to you.
    mike put his badge on the counter.

I waved as junior left.

Wish we had a like button very funny story.:lol:

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Great thread. Thanks for all of the laughs. On a serious note how do some of these people make it through life...perhaps Darwin was wrong.

RRDiesel87

Mar 26, 2010
    Hanover, PA
    I had a guy come in one time and look at a Tikka we had on the rack, after a few minutes he asked me if we could hold it until later so his wife could come in and buy it for him, he explained that he had a felony charge and wasnt allowed to buy a gun so his wife would do it. I told him that we couldnt sell the gun because it would be a straw purchase and he called me an a**hole and was "trying to just be honest".....smh

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    One of the employees at the indoor range with the letters H and M in the name was instructing a man and his wife in the lane next to me a month or so ago. He brings them into the range with a springfield xd, ammo and starts instuctions on how to... The woman goes first and with the target at about 10 feet away her shots are all over the place. After a few attemps to fix her shooting he (THE GUY SHOWING HER HOW TO SHOOT!/EMPLOYEE) suddenly realizes he brought the xd40 in and meant to bring the xd9 in. Yep he was shhoting 9mm from a 40 caliber handgun. WOW!!!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I was at a shop today and observed a young man and his mother shopping for his first handgun. The young man identified himself as 23 yrs old so the shop employee asked him what he wanted to see. The young man chose the lowest cost gun in the case, a Hi-Point .380. He fondled it for a few minutes before asking the employee in all seriousness if they make bullets that shoot in it.

Employee should have replied, "I'm sorry, unfortunately, the bullets are discontinued and this is why we are selling the gun at 10% off..." ( in all seriousness of course ) Then offer to sell him a $800.00 gun with a free box of bullets.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I went to a Big 5 sporting goods where they usually have some good deals...while I was looking some other idiots came in checking out a gsg5 with fake suppressor as the idiots were leaving they said "yeah its cool they are selling .22's with REAL silencers now":sad20::sad20:

brokensheer

Dec 28, 2011
    A long time ago, I was in a gunshop near Temple Hills, MD when a couple of gangbanger types walked in and asked if they can purchase ammo for a beretta 92. They apparently bought a brand new gun.. no papers required . hmmmmm?

The clerk sold them a couple of boxes of 9mm ammo.( remember the old " black talons) An hour later, they were back.
    Complaining to the clerk that the ammo does not fit. We asked.. are you sure its a 92 and not a 96?.. Yo man..Its a 92 aight...

So the now the shop owner gets involved and asked the two if they can bring the gun in so that he can check it out.

The two walked in with the two boxes of ammo.. the gun.....within 15 seconds..problem solved. The gun was indeed a beretta 92.. but it was the 8mm blank firing replica version.

They paid $650 for it... No paperwork... And there is a no return policy on ammo. The jackals got jacked. Nice!!!!

I know the store you are talking about,, he use to house Rattesnakes in the case because they had killed his dog !,, same thing,,bout a gun on the street came in for ammo, did not know what to buy so went out to get the gun!,, yup a street sweeper! I left !

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Sadly, some of the dumbest things I've heard are said by some of the employees working in the chain stores. (I have encountered some who did know their stuff but it doesn't seem to be the norm.)

Probably the worst example was an employee at the Cabelas in Scarbourough, Maine. I swear that guy must have been hired to sell nuts and coffee in the cafe and was asked to man the gun counter in an emergency just 5 minutes before we arrived.

I was there for the grand opening, not a lot of talent at the gun counter back then.

JohnCard

Jan 15, 2013
    I was recently completing the paperwork for the first time and one of the questions - 11d on the federal form - jumped out at me. It asks "Are you a fugitive from justice." I suspect that folks who work at FFLs might have some stories about that one.

I have my own story to share - this took place while I was filling out the forms: So I'm in a store on a Thursday evening, 10 minutes before closing. A man comes in, middle-aged, slight, with a mustache. He asks one of the clerks what paperwork is required to buy a shotgun. The clerk answers - the upshot is that it's a simple form and, unlike a handgun, the buyer can take the purchase home immediately.

The man then says that he wants two shotguns. The clerk asks which model, or perhaps indicates the shotgun display, which has well over a dozen models. The man gestures vaguely in that direction, as if uncertain about what he wants or simply apathetic. He pauses and then, seeing that the clerk wants more information, adds that he wants "the smallest one you have...that holds eight shells." The clerk politely says that he can't just choose a gun for the customer without discussing the different guns and explains that there isn't time tonight to do so - can the customer come back tomorrow. The man answers in the affirmative and leaves.

I was tempted to return the next day for more entertainment - but also a little bit scared.

(I hope that as a neophyte I haven't embarrassed myself too badly while spending time in gun shops recently.)

Along

Mar 14, 2011
    St Mary's
    I was in the local Dick's a few several months back looking at the selection.
    Clerk: Can I help you?
    Me: Do you carry any .223/5.56 ammunition?
    Clerk: I dunno, what type of rifle is it used for?
    Me: Several different ones, most common is an AR-15.
    Clerk: What's that?
    Me: Black, magazine fed semi-automatic rifle
    Clerk: I dunno, what does it look like?
    Me: It looks like a M-16 rifle that the army uses
    Clerk: OH! No! we wouldn't carry anything for something like that

I leave, the store.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Lets see
    On another occasion I was at Gun Connection, I think I was doing the papers on my Spikes lower. There's these two young guys, about my age, early 20s, but kinda redneck-ish. They're looking a Bushmaster HBAR because its C&C. The one decides to buy it and asks if they have ammo so they can go shoot that afternoon. The guy who was helping them(I can't remember who it was) asked where they where going to shoot it. They replied that they had a bunch of woods behind one of their houses and they'd use a tree. When it was explained to them that they couldn't do that because it was unsafe, they were dumbfounded. Didn't occur to them that a .223 can go a good 2 miles.
    Actually if they were talking about shooting on private property with proper setback from other residences, it could be entirely legal. Or perhaps they just moved here from a state that is still unrestrictive and don't realize how paranoid people are in the Bit City. There are many areas in the west where you can LEGALLY drive to the edge of town and set up and shoot tin cans, paper targets, clays or whatever and start shooting with NO RULES and NO RANGE FEES because you don't have to be on a range. People there are not alarmed because they've grown up with guns and don't have mass shootings like you do in larger cities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom