• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    An exposed hammer carries no particular advantage or disadvantage.

see post #12

Exposed hammer disadvantages:

1) It can be blocked - preventing firing.

2) It can get caught on clothes or whatnot.

Both disadvantages overcome by striker fire = useful improvement.

What is the advantage of hammer over striker?

Improvements are fine when they are useful.

On the other hand you can't mistake cost cutting measures like polymer frames and stamped parts as necessarily being improvements from a functional standpoint.

Agreed, and IMO minimized weight is a useful advantage.

Poly frames provide this advantage, so I wouldn't just lump all poly frames under cost cutting.

Also, I havent found any functional disadvantage to poly frames in my own experience.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    see post #12

What is the advantage of hammer over striker?

Reduced chances of light primer strikes. Striker-fired pistols can have issues with hard primers.

Poly frames provide this advantage, so I wouldn't just lump all poly frames under cost cutting.

I think plastic vs. metal frames is basically a personal preference. I like metal frames because the gun feels more balanced to me. Definitely heavier, though. Whenever I let a poly gun shooter shoot my Infinity, their first comment is always, "man, that's heavy."

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I don't see any realistic scenario where an exposed hammer would get blocked to the point the gun won't fire. Snagging on clothing? Seriously? Another non issue for a Commander type hammer.

As far as polymer versus steel, the driving factor was cost. Squirt some goo in a mold and you have a finished frame. It is cheap, that is why this process is used, not because it is better. Also remember that lighter weight translates into more recoil. With a proper holster, you won't even notice the difference in weight between polymer and steel.

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    HKUSP45Stainless001.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I like this of dreaming up the ideal handgun. Sorta the clean sheet of paper idea.

Mine would be heavy caliber, all steel and a little more ergomic than the 1911, even though I really like the 1911. I like revolvers but the auto design has so many advantages. Hmmmm.....

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My ideal handgun would be a fully factory engraved, 4"-barrelled, S&W Model 25 in .45 Colt, with Ivory grips in the style of Herrett Jordan Troopers. Throw in an El Paso Austin holster with frontier floral carving and I'd be in hog heaven!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Mine would be a Titanium frame single stack 1911 with a super crisp trigger, threaded match barrel, dehorned, tritium fiber optic sights, tenifer treated slide, 1913 rails and super slimline grips.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Perfect Handgun?

-HK USP Tactical Slide Assy (Suppresses Reliably and is easy to rack)
    -Replacable Rear Slide Core/FCG Assy Core (Can be made into a Striker Fired or Hammer Fired)
    -1911 Trigger Bow System
    -SIG Decocker (For Hammer AND Striker Variants)
    -Tall Sights (Can be used to clear a Suppressor or Rack the Slide against a hard object)
    -1911 Thumb Safetyn (For both Hammer AND Striker Variants)
    -Polymer Ergonomic Frame with Replacable Magwells (Choices of Single/Doublestack, Fullsize, Midsize, or Compact Lengths)
    -Glock Low Profile Slide Stop (Forces people to SLINGSHOT the Slide)
    -HK/Walther Paddle Ambi Mag Releases
    -Open Top Slide like a Beretta M9, but with a reversible Ejector to change Ejection Path

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom