• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Im used to a glock 22 but had no problem going to my 229 i got later. I still shoot my g22 pretty well, better than the 229 i think

Give the glock a chance, be patient, i think youll be very happy with it. Consider a 17? Since your used to a full size pistol

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Until I shot my FNP-45, the Glock was the most accurate gun I shot. However, firing it actually hurt. Swore I'd never buy one... But, then I picked up a G20 @ 2A Sales and it fit "dang good". Bought it and it shoots great for me. Maybe it's the 2x4 size grip, because it's quite big, but it feels decent in my hands.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Congrats on the new purchase. Overall Glock is still my favorite. Just like any other gun maker, it's not for everybody. I feel like my 19 was made for my hand, feels perfect, aims naturally for me. I also love the fact that I can get any part I need for it and replace them if I ever need to or want to and there are probably more holster options and aftermarket items for Glock than any other brand. What works for some people may not work best for others, that's why we have so many options out there. As long as you're shooting and having fun (and working on getting better with what you're shooting), that's all that matters!

indiana cletus

Slayer of squirrels
    Apr 26, 2011
    pikesville md
    I have to say, i have the same issue as OP. I wanna like glock, just not comfortable with the grip. Which is why i own an XD. Idk much about the XDM series, other than im not as fond of the checkering as i am on my XD45(the original had much less agressive but still entirely adequate checkering) but i love the grip, its in every way as reliable, and dead on accurate. It puts a bullet where i want it, when i want it, everytime, and is easy to clean, use and one of the most comfy guns ive ever held. You should really look into one, either original or XDM and see what you like.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    I had a 17 back in the mid-90s; probably put a couple thousand rounds through it. I never felt right with it. The weapon never failed to function, but it wasn't a whole lot of fun to shoot, and I was never as accurate with it as I was with other pistols.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    I have never shot glocks well.
    Never wanted a glock.
    Never wanted to want to like glocks.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    This thread is giving me deja vu. I recently sold my P226 and switched to Glocks for similar reasons. My hands are small, so while I can shoot the P226 well, I was never comfortable with the ergo.

I've shot many Glocks before but I convinced myself that I did not like them, even though I could shoot them fine. I didn't like the feel, the trigger, etc., but especially the looks.

But I got over it. It was the practical choice, and I knew it was just a matter of letting go of prejudices.

Now I have two 19 gen 4's and have never looked back. Now that I have the trigger time invested, I can shoot my Glocks better then I could the P226.

So don't under estimate the power of will in getting over minor issues and the comfort and trust that comes with trigger time.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    When first 'introduced' to Glock(s), I laughed.
    "Darned thing sounds like a rubberband gun, when dry-firing!":lol2:

Then, I shot both the G17 and the G21.
    Wow!! Soft shooting and accurate. (No, they'll never be as accurate as my beloved Gold Cup NM!):innocent0

But then again. . . . I needed to stop comparing apples to oranges. (Glock to 1911.)

I still have my beloved Gold Cup NM (and will NEVER sell it!) I also own 5 Glocks, ranging from G26 Gen4, to G19 Gen3, to G23 Gen3, to G21 Gen2, to G30SF.

Yes, they 'point' a little different than the 1911, but, at 15 yards, each one is capable of putting all shots 'into the black'. (The G19 will keep them all in the 10 ring!)
    The G19 is probably the BEST Glock made, in my not-so-humble opinion.
    The 'boolits' just seem to ride a laserbeam to the target.:thumbsup:

Here's the first group fired from my G19. 15 shots. 15 yards standing, two hands (slightly Modified Weaver stance). SCSC indoor range.
    (Crappy cellphone pic. Sorry.) CCI Blazer - aluminum - 115 gr FMJ.
    I had thought that this pistol would need a 6 o'clock hold. It's actually regulated for a center-hold.
    (The group is centered right where the front sight was sitting.)

FirstGroup-G19-CCIBlazer115FMJ.jpg

NONE of my Glock(s) have ever 'spit brass into my face', and they have eaten everything that I've fed 'em.

Gotta remember. . . . Glock(s) are not 'target pistols', per se. They are "Self Defense Tools".

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    OLM-Medic, have you tried changing the grip panels on your Sig? Hogue makes rubber grip panels, which are thinner than the stock grips, I believe.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    OLM-Medic, have you tried changing the grip panels on your Sig? Hogue makes rubber grip panels, which are thinner than the stock grips, I believe.

No I haven't. I heard this also about the E2 grips, and also that the P228 was a bit smaller on the grip as well.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    I have to say, i have the same issue as OP. I wanna like glock, just not comfortable with the grip. Which is why i own an XD. Idk much about the XDM series, other than im not as fond of the checkering as i am on my XD45(the original had much less agressive but still entirely adequate checkering) but i love the grip, its in every way as reliable, and dead on accurate. It puts a bullet where i want it, when i want it, everytime, and is easy to clean, use and one of the most comfy guns ive ever held. You should really look into one, either original or XDM and see what you like.

Ditto, I went from a 226 to a XDM and I was shocked at how much more comfortable and accurate it was. I now have more than 1. Great gun. Was going to get a glock, but they still have issues in the 2011/2012 versions. Now that I have a XDM I might never get a glock

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    When I was a new shooter and my only center fire gun was a Glock 26 I blamed the grip angle, the shorter sight radius, etc for why I couldn't shoot it well. I shot a bunch of other guns and seemed to do better. Now I can't make a clame to be an expert marksman or anything of the sort now but I can claim that I am a much better shooter now than I was then. (and with practice I will be a better shooter tomorrow than I am now but that's a story for a different post)

Now I can shoot either of my two Glocks about as well as I can shoot just about any other gun. Some feel better in the hand or seem better suited but all of those BS excuses I used to make up for why I couldn't shoot a Glock well spoke more to my lack of shooting fundamentals than to any particular reason the Glock wouldn't shoot well for me.

The Gen4s have a shorter frame and that seems to fit my hand a bit better so you might want to give one of those a go if you really can't seem to get over the grip angle.

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md
    I love my P226, but I'm starting to realize it might not be the perfect gun for me.

I want to like the Glock 19, but that grip puts me off. I always want to aim too high due to the grip angle. Does anyone else have any experience with getting used to the grip angle?

Get help! Please please get help while you still can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom