• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bad89coupe

MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2012
    Woodbine, Maryland
    I just got approved for my W&C and applied for the HQL. Not sure if I filed correctly for the HQL since I didn't upload any documentation. All I did was file Permit Exempt and gave them my permit number.

Now I need to look for a gun. I was thinking micro 9 and/or a pocket gun. In the micro 9 side, I was originally set on getting a Canik MC9, but with it being a new gun and all the recent quality issues, I'm leaning away from it. Because of that, I was think P365 or a Shield Plus. What are your thought?

As for a pocket carry gun, I was thinking a small rim fire .22 that would hold 10 rounds or possibly a Ruger LCP II in .380. Haven't really look into this much.

What's everyone's recommendations?

Thanks!
    I just got a Springfield hellcat, I love it

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've got a nice little Beretta, if you ever find that volunteer... ;)
    I have a penchant for the little old pocket guns in 25acp - mine's been in the family since 1919, and I still exercise it regularly.

Blows people away when you can hit silhouettes at 50+ yards with a mouse gun, but that's more for fun than any practical purpose if I'm honest.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I would go to your local gun range and try out rent a Sig p365x or a Glock 43x then buy them both

Buy both of those in the respective X variant is somewhat redundant . Get one of them in the original smallest variant to be better for ever pocket carrying .

PeteW

Feb 10, 2021
    Westminster
    I just got approved for my W&C and applied for the HQL. Not sure if I filed correctly for the HQL since I didn't upload any documentation. All I did was file Permit Exempt and gave them my permit number.

Now I need to look for a gun. I was thinking micro 9 and/or a pocket gun. In the micro 9 side, I was originally set on getting a Canik MC9, but with it being a new gun and all the recent quality issues, I'm leaning away from it. Because of that, I was think P365 or a Shield Plus. What are your thought?

As for a pocket carry gun, I was thinking a small rim fire .22 that would hold 10 rounds or possibly a Ruger LCP II in .380. Haven't really look into this much.

Thanks!
    I carry a shield plus with night sights. Optics ready. I grabbed a Pearce pinky extension for the 10 rd mag and fits perfectly and still doesn't print in a tshirt. 13 rd mag for colder weather clothes season. Also accepts the larger capacity s&w equalizer mags. No need for swapping out grip modules. Go shoot all of them and see what you like.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford

Thanks!
    how do you go about the whole process? I was looking up how to apply for an HQL and from what I understood you gotta go get finger prints done and go take a gun safety course?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    how do you go about the whole process? I was looking up how to apply for an HQL and from what I understood you gotta go get finger prints done and go take a gun safety course?
    Did you just get your W&C permit? If so it's free, no additional training needed, and no additional set of prints. Instructions for this path are on MSI's website. I recommend becoming a member while you're there if you're not already:

If you don't have the W&C, yes, you'll need to get prints and take the HQL course if you're not exempt from the training. There are a number of threads on here covering that pathway.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Did you just get your W&C permit? If so it's free, no additional training needed, and no additional set of prints. Instructions for this path are on MSI's website. I recommend becoming a member while you're there if you're not already:

If you don't have the W&C, yes, you'll need to get prints and take the HQL course if you're not exempt from the training. There are a number of threads on here covering that pathway.
    so if I plan to get my W&C I essentially will get my HQL? If I don't need the HQL class and fees I will just go to the W&C class as long as it allows me to buy a handgun any time I want I will just get my W&C, I do already have my collectors so I am exempt from the 30 day wait just have to do the 7 day.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    so if I plan to get my W&C I essentially will get my HQL? If I don't need the HQL class and fees I will just go to the W&C class as long as it allows me to buy a handgun any time I want I will just get my W&C, I do already have my collectors so I am exempt from the 30 day wait just have to do the 7 day.
    That is correct. Once you have an approved W&C permit (not just the class; as that alone doesn't get you an HQL, let alone a free one), the HQL becomes essentially a free add on after the W&C permit approval is received.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    That is correct. Once you have an approved W&C permit (not just the class; as that alone doesn't get you an HQL), the HQL becomes essentially a free add on after the W&C permit approval is received.
    awesome because I took a hunter safety course years ago, I can't find the papers but gun safety is so engraved in my brain from being around guns my entire life to the point my finger is unintentionally off the trigger of a water gun, and it would be redundant if I had to take an HQL class just to be approved for a W&C and the ability to buy a handgun at any time.
    Thank you for saving me $150 on the HQL class and 4 hours.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    awesome because I took a hunter safety course years ago and can't find the papers but gun safety is so engraved in my brain from being around guns my entire life to the point my finger is unintentionally off the trigger of a water gun when I am not shooting and it would be redundant if I had to take an HQL class just to be approved for a W&C and the ability to buy a handgun at any time.
    Thank you for saving me $150 on the HQL class and 4 hours.
    Holy run on sentence, Batman. Hunter safety is not an exemption for the W&C. You'll be spending more for the W&C course as it is 16 hours, but will have the ability to carry and would essentially get a free HQL at the end of the process though. HQL course has no bearing on a Wear and Carry (W&C) permit. This does save the redundancy of the HQL requirements, which I think is what you were getting at. I've been chilling with some bourbon at the fire pit for the last few hours, so my reading comp may be a bit off at the moment, so don't infer as an attempt to snipe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom