I have a "friend" who needs/wants a centrfire rifle...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    ... Just in case. He has .22's, and 9mm/.38sp handguns, he doesn't hunt, or currently shoot any kind of competition(although I am trying to change this part), and is semi-seriously trying to decide if he needs a "real" rifle...

My thought is a Mosin(most likely "previously" sporterized:o) of some sort, just "to have", and for overall cheapness.

He owns a "deer rifle" in the guise of a basic Savage 110e(wood stock, cheap Bushnell 4x scope), but it is hellishly expensive to shoot, as he doesn't reload.

He would like to be able to afford to shoot it occassionally...

Thoughts?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Mosins are fine, if your friend wants to branch out to another caliber.

You could just as well get a lever gun to shoot 38 specials, or a semi-carbine to shoot 9mm.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Options are driven by 2 factors.

1) What is the intended use of the rifle (plink, hunt, home defense, destroy invading aliens, etc)?

2) What is the buget?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    ... Just in case. He has .22's, and 9mm/.38sp handguns, he doesn't hunt, or currently shoot any kind of competition(although I am trying to change this part), and is semi-seriously trying to decide if he needs a "real" rifle...

My thought is a Mosin(most likely "previously" sporterized:o) of some sort, just "to have", and for overall cheapness.

He owns a "deer rifle" in the guise of a basic Savage 110e(wood stock, cheap Bushnell 4x scope), but it is hellishly expensive to shoot, as he doesn't reload.

He would like to be able to afford to shoot it occassionally...

Thoughts?

Mosin, Antique, no FFL required, no 4473. Must have under the radar gun.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    Mosins are fine, if your friend wants to branch out to another caliber.

You could just as well get a lever gun to shoot 38 specials, or a semi-carbine to shoot 9mm.
    Ok, well I say "has" on tne 9mil as a "soon to be" kind of thing, for my....er, I mean "his" wife, although that is not a 100% done deal...

Options are driven by 2 factors.

1) What is the intended use of the rifle (plink, hunt, home defense, destroy invading aliens, etc)?

2) What is the buget?
    An excellent suggestion.
    Aliens/long range Zombies, and "cheap"...

Mosin, Antique, no FFL required, no 4473. Must have under the radar gun.
    This is a "consideration" as well...
    Shoot the Savage he already has ? What cal is it that is "hellishly expensive" ?

These were my first thoughts. My Savage model 10 shoots $2 bills (270 WSM) :(. Don't listen to the Mosin whores :D, they know not what they do.
    The 110E is a 30-06 model, and "hellishly expensive" a euphamism for "I.....er, I mean him:innocent0 is/are reallycheap(read as "currently unemployed", but "gun money is gun money")...

F' it, I....er, I mean "they" should just sell the higher end(because an 870 Wingmaster is "high end", right:innocent0:rolleyes: )stuff, and go 100% low end. There are Pardner Pump's at Dick's on Friday for $159+....

More time on the range is "more time on the range", right? I ....er, I mean "he" feels like/thinks that the old adage of "the more, the merrier" is sound advice, particularlywhenyou don't know beforehand who is coming to shoot, live, whatever...

OMG, I feel so "out of touch"....:rolleyes:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Mosins aren't the most fun to shoot, so he'll save two ways....He'll have a inexpensive rifle that shoots cheap ammo that he doesn't want to take to the range that often....

They are nice every now and then, but mine never made it to the list of "must take to the range"....

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    Mosins aren't the most fun to shoot, so he'll save two ways....He'll have a inexpensive rifle that shoots cheap ammo that he doesn't want to take to the range that often....

They are nice every now and then, but mine never made it to the list of "must take to the range"....

So far, "recoil is not a factor"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom