• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Can someone please explain! I looked some of it up and get sites like: http://www.zombiehunters.org/

Is it just disaster preparedness and survivalism? I've seen so many metaphors for "zombie" I am not sure which is right. Heck, they could all be right. Just don't know.

I'll throw my $.02 in here. "Zombie" is a universal metaphor of any person or entity that reacts with a herd like mentality or apparent mindlessness. Think raging mob, or extremely dedicated and committed government agents, think the Nazi paradigm, think hungry mobs after some disaster, think actual zombies, etc etc etc. However, ultimately, it's all about survival and preparedness not matter who your foe.

Look at all the zombie flicks, its all about surviving long enough to escape the zombie hoards to some sanctuary or making do in a chitty situation (e.g. zombie land). :rolleyes:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    :innocent0

zombie_bunny.jpg

Zombie Squirrel.JPG

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I'm all about SHTF-preps and even more if they are all in vain....HOWEVER:

"See honey, it's really a waste to have to pop the three rounds left in the M1 out to put 8 more in. If I only had an(other :innocent0 ) AR or AK or other tacticoool magazine (or belt fed) weapon. Then I could drop the box, leaving one in the chamber, and put a full fresh one on. Even better a belt fed, then you just hook up the next set right to the end."

"Wow, you are right. You might as well go buy that AR."

I love "zombies". :party29:

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    I'm all about SHTF-preps and even more if they are all in vain....HOWEVER:

"See honey, it's really a waste to have to pop the three rounds left in the M1 out to put 8 more in. If I only had an(other :innocent0 ) AR or AK or other tacticoool magazine (or belt fed) weapon. Then I could drop the box, leaving one in the chamber, and put a full fresh one on. Even better a belt fed, then you just hook up the next set right to the end."

"Wow, you are right. You might as well go buy that AR."

I love "zombies". :party29:

I just told her I was changing the aA1 upper for an M4 upper. Next thing ya know the spare parts reproduced and there was another one sitting in the cabinet!

tover26

EricinMaryland
    Jul 6, 2009
    MO County
    I love the zombie metaphor. As OPs have said, it's not just about the herd mentality, but it's about any kind of a disaster that you can see coming from miles away. Hurricane Katrina is a good example... everyone knew the levies were an issue (just like a zombie walking towards you) and then hurricane season came... some left, some didn't.

It's a great metaphor for an unthinking, un-logical, amoral disaster that preparation or better planning would have allowed you to avoid or handle better than other similarly unthinking people out there.

My wife and I love to watch zombie flicks and laugh at all the stupid things that carry the plot along. And then when we're watching the news, you hear commentary like, "Whodda thunk that an uncovered well would have someone fall into it?", or "If only we had been better prepared...", "If only we had known...", and my personal favorite "<Insert pet-peeve entitlement here...> + (personal, local, regional, national) disaster statement + unintentional/unforeseen consequence..."

We are very active on ZombieHunters.org

zsrules.jpg

choices2.jpg

Last edited:

SixIron

Sep 22, 2010
    Better to be prepared

For what its worth. For the average person myself included there is no imminent need for the stock pile of weapons/gear firearm enthusiasts accumulate over time in pursuit of our hobby. One person for the most part doesn't "NEED" thousands of rounds of ammunition or dozens of firearms. We choose to because thats what we like:D. Therefor when someone asks why do you "NEED" a dozen AK's or another case of ammo. The answer zombies fits

At this point I'd like to mention that it's important to have at least 1 gun of each caliber. That way when the zombies do attack and you're running low on ammo and see some rounds laying on the ground you don't waste time trying to figure out IF you have a gun that will shoot it. The answer is YES.

SixIron

Sep 22, 2010
    Know the rules of survival

:lol: Man, that is exactly true!!!

btw - Warning - back in the 70's and 80's they kinda ambled along at slow speed (eg: Night of the Living Dead). But recently they seem to be able to run at full speed!!! (eg: Zombieland). That scares me...

That's why rule#1 "Cardio" and rule#2 the "double tap" are soooo important.

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    Has anyone seen the sign outside bel air gun and pawn, when heading down bel air road out of harford county toward perry hall the sign says "your zombie defense headquarters". If you have not seen it and live in hazzard county keep an eye out for the sign next time you head toward perry hall.

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    Has anyone seen the sign outside bel air gun and pawn, when heading down bel air road out of harford county toward perry hall the sign says "your zombie defense headquarters". If you have not seen it and live in hazzard county keep an eye out for the sign next time you head toward perry hall.

If zombies were right on my ass and i had a baseball bat i still wouldnt stop there.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach

I stopped in just because of that sign and have been back since, Nice shop and I think theres a pit beef place right by there too if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom