I’m done being unarmed in Baltimore. Watch these videos!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The way I understand it, and this info could be dates so correct me if i'm wrong, is that reason that MD doesn't issue CCW without good ans substantial cause is that we are an open carry state. sO the argument was that since you can open carry, you don't need CCW.

BUT you can't open carry without ppl freaking out and calling the cops, then you get swarmed, detained, and possibly shot for legally carrying openly. Not to mention that open carry is a great way to let criminals know where the guns are so they can try and steal them.

We need to get unrestricted CCW and we need it now!

Maryland is an open carry state only for long guns only.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I had this happen to me when I lived in Baltimore. This was in 2007. Exact same drill--a guy came from behind me and tried to push me over, then another two jumped in front of me and pushed me from the front, then demanded my wallet and phone. They were probably 14 or 15 years old. I said "OK OK fine" and reached into my pocket slowly. Instead of my phone, I pulled out a folding knife and yelled as loud as I could to act insane, "AHHHHHH!!!" That made them hesitate. I side stepped and ran about 50 feet into my house. I agree with the sentiment of the OP for sure. I'm all for carry permits and have one where I now live in VA but a handgun almost certainly would not have helped this guy. 5 on 1 is a no win situation. Not wearing headphones or a hood are good advice. You have to be vigilant but there isn't much you can do if a random passerby on the street suddenly starts attacking you.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Pretty please with sugar on top?

Attachments

• ccw.jpg
      ccw.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 467

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    That’s the plan. I have to work there but I’m going straight from my office back to the county. Not doing anything else in the city and especially not being caught there at night

Unless you get a flat or the car breaks down. I have to drive through West Baltimore a couple of days a week and I'd be more than a little concerned should I have car trouble in some of those neighborhoods when the sun goes down.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Concealed permit or not, there are still many parts of Baltimore where I wouldn't want to go. Especially at night.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    I'm sure the perp who pulled the gun had no priors, had an HQL, and was granted a carry permit by the HPRB against the wishes of the state police......

Jen? Liz?

a handgun almost certainly would not have helped this guy. 5 on 1 is a no win situation.

You seriously believe this?? The thugs would have most likely ran away if the guy pulled a gun out. Only 1 was armed, and do you really think the others would still fight when their buddy's brains are on the street. Even if they were all armed, I would take those chances.

I will not put my life in someone else's hands, I'm not going to just hope they don't shoot me. I'm going to take out anyone that threatens my life

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    It is just as safe as any other community in America....just ask certain forum members here.

I’m guessing that you are referring to me. Never said it was as safe as any community in America.

Just as saying that it is would be hyperbole, so is the notion that it’s war zone and one will be immediately robbed, raped, or killed, when they step foot in the city.

The reality lies somewhere in the murky middle.

Malthus

Aug 1, 2009
    MD
    Do you think the guy had a fake gun? Might explain why he never fired (or the other guy I saw that looked like he had a gun).
    (Fake as in replica)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maryland is an open carry state only for long guns only.

And THAT only as a ******** lie by Doug Gansler to argue against the Woolard decision. "We don't need concealed carry, because we have long gun open carry."

But we don't even have long gun open carry. Just to be very clear. We joke about it sometimes, cynically and sarcastically, but don't think for a moment that you can actually carry a long gun without some unpleasant consequences.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I never said that open carry of a long gun is a good idea in Marylandistan! I only said that according to the law, it is legal.

This state has too many LEOs that are not as well versed in the law as one might expect them to be. I understand the laws are confusing, but the LEOs should know it and in most cases, they are sadly lacking in that area.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You seriously believe this?? The thugs would have most likely ran away if the guy pulled a gun out. Only 1 was armed, and do you really think the others would still fight when their buddy's brains are on the street. Even if they were all armed, I would take those chances.

I will not put my life in someone else's hands, I'm not going to just hope they don't shoot me. I'm going to take out anyone that threatens my life

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

**** I used to feel like you until I had some force on force training. If there are five guys and one is armed and you can’t see the other 2,3,4 - you don’t know how many there are..or if only one is armed or all of them, etc.. This is especially true if the thugs get the jump on you from behind while you are watching the one in front who is a distraction. Even knowing I was going to be “attacked” and being “ready” for it, I couldn’t even come close to drawing and shooting before I got hit HARD by someone or multiple someone’s, repeatedly if they were out of my immediate field of vision. We were using Sim ammo, foam covered sticks, plastic knife, and other “weapons”. It was very humbling. I had no problems dispatching one or two assailants if they were in front or in my field of vision, and more than 20 feet away, and they did NOT have guns. It wasn’t just me... NObody in our group even remotely came close to drawing and shooting in a distraction scenario where the main assailant came from behind and shoved them while one or more were in front. Sucks, but it was reality for me at least.

No question it would be much harder outside in the real world, even with your head on a swivel and trying to be aware of your surroundings, etc.. If you get hit first with a bat, or get shoved from behind while you are distracted watching the thug in front, you are done unless you get very very lucky and don’t get beat to crap by five more guys jumping on you.

I’m comfortable around firearms, am in well above average physical shape, and am generally aware of my surroundings. A firearm will for sure give you options if you have one on you, but don’t think you’ll take out a group of thugs if they get the jump on you.

The force on force class was a Rob Pincus class for a Personal Protection Outside the Home class btw. There’s a video of the class I was in somewhere on his Personal Defense Network site. We were all younger and he still sort of had hair back then.. :lol2:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I never said that open carry of a long gun is a good idea in Marylandistan! I only said that according to the law, it is legal.

This state has too many LEOs that are not as well versed in the law as one might expect them to be. I understand the laws are confusing, but the LEOs should know it and in most cases, they are sadly lacking in that area.

Good illustration of this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom