• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Do realize that a high powered rifle with a supersonic round will not be quiet, it will just be quieter. Without suppressor around 160 dB, with suppressor about 130 dB.

Its a lot quieter. The decibel scale is not linear, it is logarithmic. The loudness of a gunshot at 160db is 8 times as loud as 130db.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am not saying that 130dB is not better than 160dB. I am just saying the 130dB is not necessarily safe without hearing protection.

And the difference in sound pressure from 160 to 130 is 30 times, not 8 times

But that also means 130dB is 30 times as much sound pressure as 100 dB.

And 100 is 30 times 70.

For reference, normal conversation is in the 75 - 80 range.

Edited - fixed misplaced decimal.

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I am not saying that 130Db is better than 160dB. I am just saying the 130dB is not necessarily safe without hearing protection.

And the difference in sound pressure from 160 to 130 is 300 times, not 8 times

But that also means 130dB is 300 times as much sound pressure as 100 dB.

And 100 is 300 times 70.

For reference, normal conversation is in the 75 - 80 range.

Normal conversation might be in that range...but how is that applicable to a firearm? A suppressed .22lr running subsonics 117db range, probably A LOT more applicable than normal conversation.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not sure how you came up with 100 times sound pressure. Perceived loudness is 8 times as loud, Sound level pressure change of 30db is roughly 31 times the pressure (RMS).

This is a pretty good link that explains db and perceived loudness. http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

Sorry, misplaced the decimal, it is 30 times. 10dB is 10 times. Sound pressure doubles for each 3 dB of increase. It is a Log 10 scale.

From your link

Ratio doubling means:
    − a power level of +3 dB, or a sound intensity level of +3 dB

We used to use a 5 db Doubling rate for hearing protection, but are switching to the more correct 3 dB doubling. The 5 dB doubling rate was used to cover some slop in measuring and some environmental effects. Europe has used a 3 dB doubling rate for many years. But they use a 40 hour time weighted average, rather then US 8 hour TWA.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Do realize that a high powered rifle with a supersonic round will not be quiet, it will just be quieter. Without suppressor around 160 dB, with suppressor about 130 dB.

300 blackout bolt gun.:D I plan on using a Rem. 700 chambered in 300 Blackout with a Silenserco Saker 762 on it. Its a 120 yard gun with subs in it.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    300 blackout bolt gun.:D I plan on using a Rem. 700 chambered in 300 Blackout with a Silenserco Saker 762 on it. Its a 120 yard gun with subs in it.

If you are hunting in maryland, my guess is your subs wont meet the ft lb of energy required at the muzzle. My guess is that you will have to run 125gr or less in order to meet the required energy.

•Rifles used for deer and bear hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds.

If it was a pistol, you would be good...

•Modern handguns may be used to hunt deer only in those counties where the use of a breech-loading rifle for deer hunting is permitted with the exception that modern handguns may be used to hunt deer throughout Frederick County. Any modern handgun used for deer and bear hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more.

Hansohn Brothers

Jul 3, 2012
    If you are hunting in maryland, my guess is your subs wont meet the ft lb of energy required at the muzzle. My guess is that you will have to run 125gr or less in order to meet the required energy.

•Rifles used for deer and bear hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds.

Rem 125gr is at ~1350 ft lbs whereas the 220gr subs are at ~500 ft lbs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeap, 220 gr at 1050 fps is 538 foot pounds. Not legal for deer in MD. Rifle OR pistol.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    And the difference in sound pressure from 160 to 130 is 30 times, not 8 times

But that also means 130dB is 30 times as much sound pressure as 100 dB.

And 100 is 30 times 70.

Sorry, misplaced the decimal, it is 30 times. 10dB is 10 times. Sound pressure doubles for each 3 dB of increase. It is a Log 10 scale.

Multiple Math Fail.

+3db=2x linearly. +6db=4x... 10db=10x. If 10dB=10x, then 20dB=100x, and 30db=1000x.

In linear terms a 30dB reduction is a 1000 times reduction in intensity. Because human hearing is NOT linear, as Klunatic pointed out, the perceived reduction would be 8 time.

-Jim

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    you oughta see what momentary exposure to 20 pounds of potassium chlorate about 8 feet away does.

hint: you get tinnitus for the rest of your life. from one single momentary incident.

20lbs? God damn! What fuel? Must have been a pretty crappy one, because at that distance, only 1lb of a mixture containing potassium chlorate and any respectable pyro fuel is more than enough to kill you!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I don't know anything about the mathematics. I also don't know the decibels of a 9MM pistol but I do know that ear plugs with a 26-30 db rating make all the difference in the world, so yeah, a 30 db reduction is a lot. Much more than I thought it would be, not linear rating for sure.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    20lbs? God damn! What fuel? Must have been a pretty crappy one, because at that distance, only 1lb of a mixture containing potassium chlorate and any respectable pyro fuel is more than enough to kill you!

any of a number of different things. wasn't anything left really to do any mass spec work, just definitely smelled like potassium chlorate. considering it lifted a 25-ton truck about a foot off the ground, i'd say it wasn't very crappy. in fact i'd say it was pretty ****ing effective, given the lasting health effects it's had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom